PDA

View Full Version : Zone diet

Bam Bam
05-03-2002, 11:36 AM
could someone tell me the theory behind this diet ?

Also what are its flaws and how has the diet made regulatory supplements to gain cash flow??(what supps do they make you buy for the diet and waht are its equivelants )

Jane
05-03-2002, 12:16 PM
The Zone was my first diet/nutrition book. *shudder* I don't remember much, but the basic idea that the author emphasizes is control of eicosanoids (sp?), which supposedly regulate a lot of your body's functions and can help prevent disease.

"The Zone" refers to the hormonal state your body is in if it receives appropriately balanced meals of 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat. Dr. Barry Sears, the author, advocates 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, each balanced EXACTLY to match these ratios. He claims that this will put your body into prime fat-burning mode and will greatly improve your overall health. It will also prevent insulin spikes and regulate blood sugar. He also emphasizes the importance of good carbs and good fats, such as low GI grains and monounsaturated/polyunsaturated oils.

He has made money off a number of versions of this book. He did an updated version, a vegetarian version I believe, a collection of recipes, a seniors version (maybe?). He runs a website, you might want to check it out. I think there are a few "zone" products out there as well, such as a Zone Bar.

Blood&Iron
05-03-2002, 01:08 PM
It's a pretty solid diet. A bit too much emphasis on the hormonal issues Jane mentioned, which is not really backed up by solid science; Sears infers A LOT from available research. The Zone emphasizes keeping a certain ratio of EPA/GLA intake, avoidance of grains, and emphasis of low-glycemic fruits and vegetables.

Sears makes a bunch of products: fish oil(which I actually use as I think they are the best on the market), Zone microwave meals(which taste so-so), bars(some of which are quite good tasting), pre-made shakes, and a number of other items. None of these are really necessary, although I think taking fish oils is good for general health.

Just doing an isocaloric diet or 40-40-20 without being all paranoid about the extra hormonal and glycemic stuff is probably gonna give you just as good results.

Also, following the recommendations in the Zone will, IMO, lead to eating too few calories.

Bam Bam
05-03-2002, 04:00 PM
thanks for the replies guys i got some Doc pushing this down my freinds throat and she is not too hip to this stuff but hes apparantly a zone bar freak

the doc
05-04-2002, 07:59 AM
"Also, following the recommendations in the Zone will, IMO, lead to eating too few calories."

definitely agree here. It is a diet for the your average overweight, underexercised american and not as applicable for BBers

The principles are reasonable sound however. I definitely believe in having ratios balanced in a similar way to the zone for some meals (other than postworkout).