PDA

View Full Version : Bench shirt too tight/small

Ripe1
02-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Hello everyone. So, you have a new bench shirt. What are the signs for you that make you decide it's not a good fit? How many tricks do you try and how long do you keep trying before it's time to move on? Or is there really such a thing as a too tight bench shirt?

drew
02-14-2010, 06:33 AM
It's going to depend on a lot of things. But generally, if you can get the sleeves over your elbows and you can get your hands on the bar (with help) then you should be able to use the shirt. Some guys like to wet it down to try and break it in. I like to work down on boards. Typically the lower you pull the collar, the tighter it will get and the harder it will be to touch, so try without pulling the collar too much. And then there's aways triples, which are horrible but really work for learning to touch (see The Art of Triples on Elitefts by Vincent Dizenzo)

Travis Bell
02-14-2010, 07:50 AM
If you can't touch, it's too tight (technique aside)

Ryano
02-14-2010, 01:13 PM

I think if you CAN touch with shirt, right out of the bag, it's to loose. With most of my new shirts, I can barely get my hands to a close grip position on the bar. I have a brand new shirt, which I will start breaking in this week. I don't expect to touch with it for several weeks.

douglasoh5
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I think after 4-5 sessions in a shirt a tech sounds bencher should beable to touch something they can press

Ripe1
02-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you guys for the replies. Based on these I should just stick with my shirt. I need to stretch the right sleeve a bit since it cut off the blood circulation after about 30 seconds. It's a single ply super katana so it should fit better after a few sessions, right?

jtteg_x
02-14-2010, 02:59 PM
what size is your SK and how big is your chest around?

Ripe1
02-14-2010, 04:46 PM
The shirt is 42 and the chest 41

jtteg_x
02-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Definitely keep it. I'm a 44 and wear 46 SK. It took me 3-4 sessions to break in mine. I can touch 315 with the collar up but not 400+ with the collar down. Its gonna take some practice so be patient.

AdamBAG
02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Are the sleeves too long? Sometimes taking a tad off the sleeve length will make it feel better. The last two Rage-Xs I've had we cut the bottom seam off and it feel awesome, but still lets you wear a tight sleeve.

Ripe1
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
There were a good 2 inches from the sleeves to my elbows. One thing I'm wondering, why did it cut the blood off of my right arm when my left bi is bigger than the right. But like I said, need to stretch the right sleeve just a tad. We don't have too many american footballs floating around here in Finland so I have to come up with something else.

Ryano
02-16-2010, 05:27 AM
There were a good 2 inches from the sleeves to my elbows. One thing I'm wondering, why did it cut the blood off of my right arm when my left bi is bigger than the right. But like I said, need to stretch the right sleeve just a tad. We don't have too many american footballs floating around here in Finland so I have to come up with something else.I use a soccer ball. If the sleeves are two inches above your elbow, they are to short. You want the sleeves to just barely be above the elbow.

ScottYard
02-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Use two barbells to stretch the sleeves. Put one in the rack with the shirt around it. and put another that can hang thorugh the sleeve below it. Now start tugging. Also try putting it on inside out first and slide it on. We do this with metal shirts as the bash has long sleeves. This way the sleeves get over the elbow entirely.

AdamBAG
02-16-2010, 08:16 AM
It sounds like the shirt is not fitted correctly if it is 2" above the elbow. Ideally it will come down right to the bend in your elbow w/o covering the elbow.

Ripe1
02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Damn, do I need a custom just because of the sleeve length? I'm going to leave some slack in the shoulder area and see what that feels like. Sounds like the stretching will be the easiest part in the process.

AdamBAG
02-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Is it a stock shirt or did you have the sleeves shortened?

Beverly McD.
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Is it open back or closed back? If it's open back you can adjust the shoulders/sleeves down a little more easily.

vdizenzo
02-16-2010, 05:07 PM
When I had trouble getting my Ace over my forearms I just cut about 2" off the bottom of the sleeves. It popped right on after that. Sleeves on most shirts nowadays seem to come long.

mastermonster
02-16-2010, 09:47 PM
When I had trouble getting my Ace over my forearms I just cut about 2" off the bottom of the sleeves. It popped right on after that. Sleeves on most shirts nowadays seem to come long.

Vinnie, did you just cut them and leave them unheamed or did you get them reheamed? I'd like to shorten mine a little but if it'll work without sending it back that'd be great.

Ripe1
02-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Mine is stock and closed back.

robchris
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Ripe,
How tall are you bro? I'm around 6' 2" and have a stock SK and my sleeves fit fine... I have long arms as well...As far as the tightness, it sounds like its fitted right.

Just wet it down a little and work it down the boards. I touched in mine on about the 4th session.

Good luck,
RC

drew
02-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Cut the back open. It will make your life so much easier.

AdamBAG
02-18-2010, 07:39 AM
In my opinion if the shirt sleeve is two inches above your elbow then you may need to think about a different shirt. You can't put length back on the sleeves unfortuneately. Or maybe you have the shirt pulled up too high? Have you tried setting the end of the sleeve just above the elbow and benching that way?

Ripe1
02-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Let's see. I'm 5'10. Cutting the back is not an option, IPF you see. And I haven't tried yet leaving the sleeves right above the elbow. I need to test that though. Which shirts have longer sleeve than the super katana? I'm guessing Metal has long sleeves but haven't heard too much good about them, performance and quality wise.

AdamBAG
02-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Where did you buy the shirt? I just have a sneaking suspicion that the sleeves were shortened some before you got it or you have the shirt pulled up way too far. I'm 6'1" and have worn a couple of Katanas and Super Katanas and the sleeve length alway came down to the elbow.

robchris
02-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Let's see. I'm 5'10. Cutting the back is not an option, IPF you see. And I haven't tried yet leaving the sleeves right above the elbow. I need to test that though. Which shirts have longer sleeve than the super katana? I'm guessing Metal has long sleeves but haven't heard too much good about them, performance and quality wise.

Rage X comes stock w/ extra long sleeves... I had mine shortened 1". Very good shirt BTW, and similar groove as a SK.

Robert Crawford
02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Bench shirts can be too tight. You see it at meets with guys bombing when they can't touch.

When I change shirts, I usually buy two or three at a time. I hope sewing is consistent.

You need a few shirts so that you can try different fits. I weigh 291 to 310 depending on the phase of the moon. Based upon experience, I know which shirt works at my current body weight.

So far as I can determine, Inzer's Rage X is identical with Titan's Katana.

Titan's Super Katana is my choice for a single-ply shirt for USAPL meets. I love it. Titan's customer service is great. Titan's quality is top notch.

Robert Crawford

Ripe1
03-05-2010, 04:27 AM
A little update. I sold the original shirt in question and bought a 44. The sleeves are supposed to be a little longer right? I haven't had the shirt on yet but still I managed to pull the sleeves on at a time again around 2" above the elbow. This is getting weird. Should I get a custom with like size 46 sleeve length, around 43 sleeve circumference and chest 42-44? I'll get the shirt on tomorrow properly and see what the deal is.

vdizenzo
03-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Vinnie, did you just cut them and leave them unheamed or did you get them reheamed? I'd like to shorten mine a little but if it'll work without sending it back that'd be great.

Sorry, I seemed to miss this question. I just cut the shirt myself and left it as is. It may be different with the Ace because the plies are laminated.

AdamBAG
03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Dude, how much do you weigh? Are you really skinny? At 5'10" the sleeves shouldn't be that short.

One of my training partners is 6'4" or so and too skinny for his height and this exact same thing happens to him in shirts b/c the sleeve length is too short for somebody that tall that only weighs 255 or so.

My feeling is that your arms aren't very big so the sleeves slide way up high.

douglasoh5
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
quick fix just pull the shirt up just past your elbows even if it isnt seated. will make it jacked as hell

scott rowe
03-05-2010, 10:03 AM
i have a very long stoke. but imo if you guys are touching with a super katana after 3 or 4 sessions it may be too big. it took me a long time to touch and stretch out. single ply closed back feet flat i bench the same in other doubles i have. work with it, i put weights in my sleeves. 5 lbs 7.5 lb and 10 lb plates to stretch mine out enough. if you got it on it is good. leave the sleeves at the elbows.

J Stottlemire
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
i have a very long stoke. but imo if you guys are touching with a super katana after 3 or 4 sessions it may be too big. it took me a long time to touch and stretch out. single ply closed back feet flat i bench the same in other doubles i have. work with it, i put weights in my sleeves. 5 lbs 7.5 lb and 10 lb plates to stretch mine out enough. if you got it on it is good. leave the sleeves at the elbows.

What size is your super Katana? I have a 46 and I just had Ken send me a 48 as well i have only been to half board in the 46, never touched yet any advice I do have vids if u wanna view? I am a USPF guy as well, the shirt is great I may open comfortably in the 48 and go into the 46 after opener.I am weighing about 210 now normally a 198, been to the half with 605 for a good solid rep, but so far unable to do a full touch with up to 635, and my comp is April 3, thanks for any feedback.

barbell01
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
What size is your super Katana? I have a 46 and I just had Ken send me a 48 as well i have only been to half board in the 46, never touched yet any advice I do have vids if u wanna view? I am a USPF guy as well, the shirt is great I may open comfortably in the 48 and go into the 46 after opener.I am weighing about 210 now normally a 198, been to the half with 605 for a good solid rep, but so far unable to do a full touch with up to 635, and my comp is April 3, thanks for any feedback.

i watched your vids. it looks like you might be tucking too early at the top. try to load the shirt up more before you tuck, then by the time you get to the bottom you will have more support allowing you to tuck more at the bottom without dumping the weight. that 605 should have no problem touching.

Ripe1
03-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Dude, how much do you weigh? Are you really skinny? At 5'10" the sleeves shouldn't be that short.

One of my training partners is 6'4" or so and too skinny for his height and this exact same thing happens to him in shirts b/c the sleeve length is too short for somebody that tall that only weighs 255 or so.

My feeling is that your arms aren't very big so the sleeves slide way up high.

At the moment about 175lbs, climbing up to 181's. It could be that my fishing lines (=arms) let the sleeves slide. I need to get the sleeves taken in anyway and then hopefully the situation will be better. If not then it's time to get in touch with Mr. Anderson.

J Stottlemire
03-05-2010, 02:49 PM
i watched your vids. it looks like you might be tucking too early at the top. try to load the shirt up more before you tuck, then by the time you get to the bottom you will have more support allowing you to tuck more at the bottom without dumping the weight. that 605 should have no problem touching.

Thanks bro I am gonna give the 46 a go again this week with lotsa work to a half board then last two weeks of training get myself to the chest hopefully in it.

scott rowe
03-05-2010, 03:14 PM
my shirt is custom with 3 sizes into one. when i get new shirts i give all measurements and ken anderson does it. he is the best. even after a year in it i wet the sleeves and need bags to get it on. i wouldnt switch shirts after 1st to 2 maybe for a 4th. should have the time. if it was double yes. not single. takes me 20 minutes to get in mine it sucks. for opener leave the collar higher then pull down. but u need to pratice. i do lift uspf but also ipa and the pro/ams. i am not on facebook but you can sent me links here to your videos and i will watch them.

Mick Manley
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
i had a 45 rage x and the chest plate was tiny, i switched it to a brand new 45 and it was bigger than my old stretched out 45. Just cause theyre the same size doesnt mean theyre always gunna be same. U mite have a messed up shirt.

JK1
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

I have a 56 SK that I just sent back to be tightened. I tried a 58 my first time in the SK and it was discouraging, I could feel the shirt give out as the weight came off my chest. I sent it back and got the 56. My first time in the, I worked up to 635 (which was the first weight I touched in and my meet PR). I got out of the groove with 655 and missed it.

The second time sucked and I barely benched 585, but I did work up to 665 in it, got the weight off my chest and lost it at about the 3 board level. It was a bad night all around.

The third time in the 56 shirt I hit a relatively easy 635, benched a PR 665, and missed 685 2 times at about the 3 board level again.

I sent the shirt back to get things (sleeves) tightened. This shirt can and does stretch out fast, depending on the amount of weight you are handling with it. Now, my understanding from talking with Ken is that once you have the sleeves tightened a titch (and maybe the chest plate) it will 'settle in' and be more consistant without requiring the tweeking. I dont' know if thats true or not, but if it isn't, its frustrating. I've never seen a single ply bench shirt stretch out as fast as this SuperKatana has. I guess there is a possibility I simply had too big of a shirt from the beginning, but thats kind of strange to me too.

scott rowe
03-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I have a 56 SK that I just sent back to be tightened. I tried a 58 my first time in the SK and it was discouraging, I could feel the shirt give out as the weight came off my chest. I sent it back and got the 56. My first time in the, I worked up to 635 (which was the first weight I touched in and my meet PR). I got out of the groove with 655 and missed it.

The second time sucked and I barely benched 585, but I did work up to 665 in it, got the weight off my chest and lost it at about the 3 board level. It was a bad night all around.

The third time in the 56 shirt I hit a relatively easy 635, benched a PR 665, and missed 685 2 times at about the 3 board level again.

I sent the shirt back to get things (sleeves) tightened. This shirt can and does stretch out fast, depending on the amount of weight you are handling with it. Now, my understanding from talking with Ken is that once you have the sleeves tightened a titch (and maybe the chest plate) it will 'settle in' and be more consistant without requiring the tweeking. I dont' know if thats true or not, but if it isn't, its frustrating. I've never seen a single ply bench shirt stretch out as fast as this SuperKatana has. I guess there is a possibility I simply had too big of a shirt from the beginning, but thats kind of strange to me too.

my bet if it slides right on you need a 54. depends on body comp. my measurements call for a 48. no way. 50 sleeves took almost 3 months to stretch out to touch. the softer you are the smaller shirt you can wear. i lift 220 and know of 275er's that wear a smaller shirt.

JK1
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
my bet if it slides right on you need a 54. depends on body comp. my measurements call for a 48. no way. 50 sleeves took almost 3 months to stretch out to touch. the softer you are the smaller shirt you can wear. i lift 220 and know of 275er's that wear a smaller shirt.

It took several minutes to get into the first time I put it on, it was somewhat easier the second time, but I had different people pulling it on too and it pretty much slid right on the third time (probably took about 5-8 minutes to get on).

I measure out to a 58 so I'm really not sure what is going on with it.

I've got 14 weeks until my next meet and I've gotten within sight of my goal weights already. I've got some time to play with it a bit yet. It really seems like it stretched out easily. Whats going to be the telling trait with it is if it stretches out again so fast after being tightened up.

Ripe1
03-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Back from the gym. This one feels good. We didn't pull the sleeves all the way back and this left around 1" to the elbow. The sleeves need to be taken in a little but that's no big deal.

RonnyB
03-09-2010, 07:42 AM

If you can't touch... Not enough weight!! a suit should take you atleast 10 minutes to properly get into with the help of another, if you're getting into your suit by yourself its not too tight

kingns
08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
If you can get your arms to the bar by yourself, and touch a 1 board the first time using it, after only 4 sets or so its probly not too tight right? Im doing the second session in the shirt this week and feel like that last inch is gonna be a bitch and I need to stretch it out a bunch

mastermonster
08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I think if you CAN touch with shirt, right out of the bag, it's to loose. With most of my new shirts, I can barely get my hands to a close grip position on the bar. I have a brand new shirt, which I will start breaking in this week. I don't expect to touch with it for several weeks.

This!

theBarzeen
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
If you can get your arms to the bar by yourself, and touch a 1 board the first time using it, after only 4 sets or so its probly not too tight right? Im doing the second session in the shirt this week and feel like that last inch is gonna be a bitch and I need to stretch it out a bunch

my first workout in a shirt I usually struggle to touch a 3-board.... if I really feel like beating myself up I will do doubles down to a two board.

It usually takes me 4-6 weeks before I can touch in a new shirt..... just keep at it.