PDA

View Full Version : First Meet Questions

littlelou
02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm in the processing of registering for my first meet but I'm not sure what class/classes I should do. It is a USAPL meet and the classes I was looking at are; Open / junior / collegiate / novice. I know what the open and junior classes are. Collegiate would just be anyone in your weight class that is in college? I'm also not exactly sure what novice entitles either.

BloodandThunder
02-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Are you trying to break any state records? Collegiate means you are a full time student up to the age of 25. This class pretty much exists so collegiate lifters can qualify for Collegiate Nationals (Orlando this April). It's a big meet, typically 200-300 lifters from all over. If you enter this class, you can still break Junior records (20-23) Teenage (17-19) or Open (24+) since these are age records.

If you're trying to break records, make sure you're entered in the right category, I'd email the meet director and ask him directly if you're unsure of anything (the email should be on the app or the state website). If you want competition, ask the director if there is any junior competition. Some meets only do Top 5 by Wilks formula if it's a small meet.

Being your first meet, just enter your age group (open or junior) and just lift and have some fun. Make sure you make the rules briefing 30 minutes before liftng, have all your equipment, and bring plenty of food and water.

ScottYard
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Are you trying to break any state records? Collegiate means you are a full time student up to the age of 25. This class pretty much exists so collegiate lifters can qualify for Collegiate Nationals (Orlando this April). It's a big meet, typically 200-300 lifters from all over. If you enter this class, you can still break Junior records (20-23) Teenage (17-19) or Open (24+) since these are age records.

If you're trying to break records, make sure you're entered in the right category, I'd email the meet director and ask him directly if you're unsure of anything (the email should be on the app or the state website). If you want competition, ask the director if there is any junior competition. Some meets only do Top 5 by Wilks formula if it's a small meet.

Being your first meet, just enter your age group (open or junior) and just lift and have some fun. Make sure you make the rules briefing 30 minutes before liftng, have all your equipment, and bring plenty of food and water.

Just like he said. Call the meet director. You are paying them to do the meet so dont feel bad for calling for information. makes it alot easier on you.

Travis Bell
02-15-2010, 08:08 AM
I went in the Junior class for a little while because I wanted a couple records, but in the end just stuck with the open class because I didn't care.

Like the others said, collegiate is really only if you want to go after collegiate records or nationals, same with Junior class. You can also enter in multiple divisions

littlelou
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
No I'm not trying to go after any records just wanting to get my feet wet. I ended up registering for the junior and collegiate class. Thanks for the input.