PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts... i'm torn

Dgro
02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5IKZByutFU

Ok, so notice the date of the video (over a month old). The reason I didn't post it right away is cuz I watched it myself and thought "yikes, i'm gonna be one paralyzed mother****er if i don't fix that rounding". So I took off some weight and basically got my form to the part where I start like this:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5879/startuph.jpg

just like before, except when i start to raise up, my hips actually stay there and my back stays either arched or neutral the whole way up. it looks pretty, but i'm using like 40lbs less (and i can tell i'm gonna hit a wall sooner than i would have before).

but then i started watching some videos of guys far stronger than i, and i noticed that my back never rounded any worse than theirs. like this one by shelby starnes for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_U7pv7pYY8
i know i'm no shelby, but form is universal no matter how weak or strong you are, right??

so was my form fine in the first place? or not? like title says, i'm torn/confused here. if it's not dangerous i would like to go back to my old form so i can put up bigger numbers, but my number one priority is staying out of the hospital...

thanks in advance.

edit: also, don't ask me to psot a video of my "new" form either, i don't have a camera with me at college. i took the video when i was home over break.

slashkills
02-14-2010, 05:38 PM
A little bit of back rounding is to be expected especially on big attempts. As long as its not crazy you be fine. Still focus on keeping a flat/arched back. It looks like your not getting a lot of leg drive. Try widening your stance some and pointing your toes out more. I suggest close stance ATG squats and heavy DB lunges as well as good mornings as assistance work. Props for being concerned about your form. Most in the gym dont give a rats ass as long as they are moving "heavy weight"

Dgro
02-14-2010, 08:12 PM
A little bit of back rounding is to be expected especially on big attempts. As long as its not crazy you be fine. Still focus on keeping a flat/arched back. It looks like your not getting a lot of leg drive. Try widening your stance some and pointing your toes out more. I suggest close stance ATG squats and heavy DB lunges as well as good mornings as assistance work. Props for being concerned about your form. Most in the gym dont give a rats ass as long as they are moving "heavy weight"

so just to clarify, you think i should get a little more leg drive and then it looks ok? back rounding isn't too much? the extra knee bend / wider stance will probably straighten me out a little bit anyways

Sean S
02-14-2010, 09:07 PM
The amount of rounding you have isn't terrible, but ideally you should hold a tighter arch when you are doing a sumo DL. Shelby does have some rounding in his video, but notice his rounding doesn't get any worse on the way up. He is also using this specific technique for a specific reason and he is a seasoned pro. You start with a decent arch, but lose some it on the way up. It's not necessarily the amount of rounding, but how well you are able to hold your back angle static through the whole lift, which you aren't doing. If you were training with me, I would make you hold your arch better and use "textbook" form right now. Going backward a few pounds right now isn't a big deal if it allows you more long term progress and safety. After you've been lifting for a number of years and have developed more strength, you can decide if you want to deviate from "textbook" form.