PDA

View Full Version : This probably means something but I'm not sure what

BigTallOx
02-16-2010, 11:49 AM
My deadlift progress is frustratingly slow and lately I've noticed something that I don't really understand. My rack pulls from just below the knees have increased over the last few months, but when I pull with reverse bands that deload at about the same height as I rack pull from, I can't pull anymore than what I pull from the floor without bands. Wait, I'm not sure if that made sense, here are my numbers

Deadlifting from the floor = 545
Deadlifting from the floor with reverse bands bands deload about the same spot as where I rack pull from = 545
Rack pulling a few inches below the knee = 625

So, when the bar gets to a few inches below my knee, I much be in a less advantageous position when doing reverse bands than when rack pulling. This also is typically where I tend to fail when pulling from the floor without reverse bands too. But what does this mean? I'm assuming it's pointing directly to a specific weakness, but I'm not sure what it is. It's also making me question the benefit of using bands ( or chains for that matter ) for pulling. Any advice will be appreciated ( my goal is to deadlift 551 at a meet in 7 weeks ).

thewicked
02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
you're so tall that I feel it might be a weakness higher in your posterior chain than most...

does the bar get out infront of you about knee level? It does for most people that are tall or use alot of back if they have to just BEND over and can't get down to the bar for some reason. Make sure you're keeping the bar incontact with your body and sliding it up the whole way to ensure that it's tight to your center mass/mid line to get optimal leverage. The speed lost due ot friction against your body is negated by the better bar position.

as far as 551..it's in your head big daddy! If you make it from the rack and lock it out with almost a 100 over you should be pulling off a box from time to time if not more often..definately helped me out with getting past that spot. I know with your height you're almost doubled over when you grab the bar.

BigTallOx
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
does the bar get out infront of you about knee level?

Maybe this is related to my problem, but to answer your question no knee level is where the bar starts to make contact, ie its in front of my shins when I start, I do that because I feel stronger off the floor that way.

Make sure you're keeping the bar incontact with your body and sliding it up the whole way to ensure that it's tight to your center mass/mid line to get optimal leverage.

OK, I know that I'm not doing this now, ie the bar is away from my shins. it's not far away but it's not against my shins either.

If you make it from the rack and lock it out with almost a 100 over you should be pulling off a box from time to time if not more often..

OK, I'll try pulling off a box. I haven't done any training like that up to now, makes since that that could be what I'm missing, lol.

deeder
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I've heard lots of big deadlifters recommend pulling from mats or boxes instead of rack pulls. What I mean by that is the weight is raised up on mats but you're still standing on the floor. This allows the bar to flex more naturally.

I would also take videos of yourself during the reverse band and rack pulls and I'm willing to be that you're in a very different position during the two lifts once you break over your knees. You need to get in to the same position that you are when you're doing the rack pull... Or, you need to adjust your rack pull so that you are in the same position as your regular deadlift at that point.

thewicked
02-17-2010, 12:04 AM
yeah..vids of both would definately help

NickAus
02-17-2010, 02:04 AM
It could just be you have used a lot of your energy getting to the knees so your tired and find it hard to finish the lift.

If you do more doubles and triples in training from all heights I bet this problem will go away (more time under tension).

Still as others have said it also has to do with your technique from different positions changing.

Hope this makes sense.

Daniel Roberts
02-17-2010, 05:21 AM
I had a similar problem. Admittedly at 6'6" I'm not as tall as you, but with the rack pull there was always the temptation to fall back to get the bar moving, which is not something you can do from the floor.
Like deeder said, I think you've altered the mechanics of your rack pull and when you come to a pull from the floor you can't replicate the top half of the lift, so start looking at your rack-pull form so that it translates better.

ScottYard
02-17-2010, 07:11 AM
You may be too close to the bar when you pull form the floor. A guy as big as you probably needs to be a good 8 inches from the bar to be in good starting postiion. Im only 5'8 and i start 3-4 inches from the bar with my shins. And dump the rack as well. All that does is beat up your bars. get some blocks and use them from now on. It will be much more like a real pull.

tnathletics2b
02-17-2010, 07:52 AM
You may be too close to the bar when you pull form the floor. A guy as big as you probably needs to be a good 8 inches from the bar to be in good starting postiion. Im only 5'8 and i start 3-4 inches from the bar with my shins. And dump the rack as well. All that does is beat up your bars. get some blocks and use them from now on. It will be much more like a real pull.

So are you saying that the bar needs to be away from you some when you start pulling? I have always heard everyone stress "Pull it up against your shins!" so I start with it against my shins. But you are saying there should be a gap?

ScottYard
02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I forgot to say then roll the bar into ....My bad

tnathletics2b
02-19-2010, 04:46 AM
I forgot to say then roll the bar into ....My bad

I got ya. Makes sense. Thanks!