PDA

View Full Version : HCT-12 Test Group Journal - iliri85's Training Journal

iliri85
02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
1) Current calorie intake and protein intake. If you don't know, don't answer.

haven't tracked it yet, but for protein I try and get 150 grams daily

2) Do you have any current injuries going into this? We are unable to diagnose or treat, so basically anything that'll prevent you performing certain exercises..

no injuries at this point

3) The program will for the most part be performed using basic barbell and dumb-bell exercises - is your exercise selection limited i.e. poorly equipped home gym etc?

member at a local golds gym, which has pretty much everything

4) How many days training can you commit to? And what days are they?

every day, mo.-fr. I have school in the morning, while we.-su. I work, but either in between or at 9pm I would have time for training

Good luck everyone and thanks again to the WBB staff for having us. :)

iliri85
02-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Also to add, I'm 5'11 192lbs, just turned 25 few days ago. I've only begun lifting weights probably about 5 to 6 months ago trying to basically become stronger and muscular. In the beginning I thought about losing weight and dropping to 180 but after reading a lot on weightlifting, and then finding out about WBB, changed my mind and I wouldn't mind staying at 190lbs or even going up to 200 even 210 as long as I become muscular, where you can can actually see big improvement.

Here's a pic from mid December 2009. Hopefully a big change 12 weeks from now. :)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4332/photoiy.jpg

Unholy
02-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey Llir!!!

Hope your as excited as I am. Could you possibly post a sample diet day for me.

Doesn't have to be exact portions or EVERYTHING you eat. Just a little info to give me a general idea of what you eat/don't eat.

Diet is key, calorie is king!

iliri85
02-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Very excited Paul, cannot wait to start. :)

Majority of the time I eat twice a day, because of school and work, usually between 10am - 12pm the first meal then after 6pm up to 8pm the last meal. That's when I'm working and going to school in the morning, days off it's 3 meals.

For the food, first of all I'm from the Balkans (Kosovo), influenced mostly by Greek and Turkish cuisine, lot of dairy foods, bread (which I have to cut down I suppose).

But ever since I started thinking seriously about improving diet and start lifting, I've tried to eat lot of protein food, mainly chicken breasts, beef and fish in some days and also eggs (scrambled and boiled) plus milk (usually with protein shake).

Do you think that's a problem eating only twice a day? Reading through the program, it says it's recommended to eat pre and post workout, ether meal or protein shakes.

As for how many calories, not really sure but I've maintained the same weight for the past 3 months, which is 190 to 195lbs. (was 200 at times 205 before)

Thanks again Paul :)

iliri85
02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
I've chosen Program 1, so starting Monday I will do this workout:

Monday A

Vertical Pulling: pull down
Horizontal Pulling: one arm dumbbell row
Horizontal Pressing: machine bench press
Vertical Pressing: standing dumbbell press
Triceps: Dips

If I feel good after two weeks I'll probably switch to program 2.

And now a question, is there any other exercise that can be done for Hip Dominant other than deadlift?

edit: also to add should I do 30 minutes of cardio (bike) on the day I'm doing the lifting or on the days off?

Unholy
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
As far as the cardio goes, whichever is more convenient for you. I like doing my cardio after weights because it saved me the trip to the gym on off days. If you are the kind of person that likes being in the gym every day then you can do cardio on your offdays.

2 meals a day is not awful but if you could increase your frequency slightly it wouldn't hurt.

Since you are in the Balkans is a food scale expensive/hard to acquire? For me it has been more valuable than any supplement I have taken.

Start tracking your intake more closely. I would like to have no sort of idea of approx how many cals a day it takes for you to maintain that 190-195lbs of yours and we can take it from there.

iliri85
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
As far as the cardio goes, whichever is more convenient for you. I like doing my cardio after weights because it saved me the trip to the gym on off days. If you are the kind of person that likes being in the gym every day then you can do cardio on your offdays.

I'll do it in the days together with lifting for now. (see how that goes)

2 meals a day is not awful but if you could increase your frequency slightly it wouldn't hurt.

I'll start eating 3 times see how that goes in the first few weeks. Forgot to add I eat a lot of fruit as well, apples, pears, bananas, also lot of sunflower seeds.

Since you are in the Balkans is a food scale expensive/hard to acquire? For me it has been more valuable than any supplement I have taken.

I live in the states now, but from there. :)

Can you suggest what would be a good one? Where do I get it? (the scale)

Start tracking your intake more closely. I would like to have no sort of idea of approx how many cals a day it takes for you to maintain that 190-195lbs of yours and we can take it from there.

Alright I will from tomorrow on. Weird thing, for the past month or so it seems whether I eat less or more from day to day, I still keep the same weight. Not sure what that says though.

First day of :strong: tomorrow.

Unholy
02-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Ah, you can get them from a local Target/Walmart store or online from amazon.com .

Look for a digital one pref that has a glass top and can read up to a few lbs. So that you can tare it with a bowl or plate on it.

They shouldn't be more than $25. I believe thats what I payed for mine at Target.

iliri85
02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Ah, you can get them from a local Target/Walmart store or online from amazon.com .

Look for a digital one pref that has a glass top and can read up to a few lbs. So that you can tare it with a bowl or plate on it.

They shouldn't be more than $25. I believe thats what I payed for mine at Target.

Alright Paul, will do that tomorrow.

Thanks again. :)

Daniel Roberts
02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
If I feel good after two weeks I'll probably switch to program 2.

Just curious about what rationale/progress markers you'll be using to switch - FYI Program 1 isn't the 'easy' program, it just happens to be the first in the list.

Weird thing, for the past month or so it seems whether I eat less or more from day to day, I still keep the same weight. Not sure what that says though.

What this means is that over time you're cancelling the low days with the high days and this is typical of anyone in your situation, this is also why you need to check just how many calories your fruits and nuts and anything else that currently passes your lips contain.
Don't underestimate the importance of diet.
Unholy has been dishing out some really good and solid advice on the diet front and although he tries to make it as painless as possible, in your position you may have to go through the discomfort of drastically changing your eating havbits, until you form newer, good ones.

iliri85
02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Just curious about what rationale/progress markers you'll be using to switch - FYI Program 1 isn't the 'easy' program, it just happens to be the first in the list.

I just thought it might not be wise to jump right away at program 2 where each body part is trained twice weekly. What I meant is if I'm feeling 100% and also feeling that I can raise the frequency maybe I should jump to program 2.

Are you saying stick to one program at least for a month or two?

What this means is that over time you're cancelling the low days with the high days and this is typical of anyone in your situation, this is also why you need to check just how many calories your fruits and nuts and anything else that currently passes your lips contain.
Don't underestimate the importance of diet.
Unholy has been dishing out some really good and solid advice on the diet front and although he tries to make it as painless as possible, in your position you may have to go through the discomfort of drastically changing your eating havbits, until you form newer, good ones.

I see what you're saying Daniel, never thought of it that way. :)

Daniel Roberts
02-23-2010, 03:01 AM
I just thought it might not be wise to jump right away at program 2 where each body part is trained twice weekly. What I meant is if I'm feeling 100% and also feeling that I can raise the frequency maybe I should jump to program 2.

Are you saying stick to one program at least for a month or two?

Ok, well if it were me I'd stick to one, if I felt 100% whilst doing it and was progressing accordingly, I'd stick. Bare in mind that your progression until now has been limited so progression in itself will be awesome.
Your call, but you've been lifting for 6 months, you have no idea whether you can handle 2x per week and certainly you won't have trained like this before. I'll let Paul thrash this out with you, but put your trust in us and we'll make sure you're on the right path, just don't overestimate your current abilities.

iliri85
02-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Ok, well if it were me I'd stick to one, if I felt 100% whilst doing it and was progressing accordingly, I'd stick. Bare in mind that your progression until now has been limited so progression in itself will be awesome.
Your call, but you've been lifting for 6 months, you have no idea whether you can handle 2x per week and certainly you won't have trained like this before. I'll let Paul thrash this out with you, but put your trust in us and we'll make sure you're on the right path, just don't overestimate your current abilities.

Alright, will do just that Daniel, stick to program A.

Now question for both you and Paul, did training today, couldn't do it yesterday because had to go to JFK pick up parents coming from overseas so the whole day went flew without having a chance to visit the gym, so today is officially my first day.

Also received the supplements after I came back from the gym, say thanks to guy that sent it, recieved everything (+ free shirt) and he also threw in a candy bar with the order for free, pretty cool I thought, will do business with them again. :)

So I took 4 pills of ETS, 1 Fish Oil, and 1 Multi Plus. And here's my question, when is it recommended to take the Creatine 500 (it says a teaspoon mixed with juice), that's my first question, and second question is Nitrean same as Results and if so I guess it doesn't matter with which one I start first since I have 4 tubs, but when is it recommended to take the shakes, I've read before and after session, but is bad if I take it 3 x day? Should I mix it with milk or plain water?

Looking forward to the answers. :)

iliri85
02-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Alright guys, so I officially began the program 1 today, first training session (A).

first did warm up with bike on resistance 6 10 miles for 2.2 miles

then

Lat Pull Down
60x6
75x6
85x6
95x6
100x6
105x6x2x2x2

Machine Bench Press
55x6
60x6
70x6
70x6
75x6x2x2x2 (felt like hell for the last 6 lol)

Barbell Curls
40x6
50x6
50x6
50x6
60x6
60x6x2x2x2

Machine Overhead Press
50x6
55x6
50x6x2x2x2 here maybe because it was last exercise but lost all the energy at this point, wanted to do at least two more sets but felt the body saying enough already, so just finished at 50lbs :(

And to end it, did another 10mins on the bike this time resistance 5 for 2.4 miles.

Energy- 7/10
Focus -10/10
Strength - 7/10
Overall Rating - 8/10

Felt really good, it's been almost two hours since I came back now, feeling lot of energy at this point, cannot wait to go back on Thursday for day 2 (B session).

:clap:

Daniel Roberts
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I've not had the pleasure of trying Results and can't find the profile on it, but from what I remember it isn't a protein only product, which Nitrean is.

With that said, I would use the nitrean any time you like and the results before, during or after training or all three if you like - just remember the macros/calories contribute to your daily total.

Paul, Travis or Daniel might chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong about the results. As for the creatine, ultimately it doesn't matter, it does it's job when muscle levels are saturated and that takes a few days/week at that dose.

Good job on the training, you should feel really good and raring to go again. One thing, are you doing the warm-ups specified? You'll find that you feel a lot better and a lot more fired before hitting the weights.

iliri85
02-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I've not had the pleasure of trying Results and can't find the profile on it, but from what I remember it isn't a protein only product, which Nitrean is.

With that said, I would use the nitrean any time you like and the results before, during or after training or all three if you like - just remember the macros/calories contribute to your daily total.

Paul, Travis or Daniel might chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong about the results. As for the creatine, ultimately it doesn't matter, it does it's job when muscle levels are saturated and that takes a few days/week at that dose.

Good job on the training, you should feel really good and raring to go again. One thing, are you doing the warm-ups specified? You'll find that you feel a lot better and a lot more fired before hitting the weights.

Yes did the warm-ups as specified, pretty much throughout the whole workout I felt good, and at times (especially the first two exercises) it felt that I could keep going with the sets.

Creatine, you're saying doesn't matter what time of day, just basically be consistent with taking it day after day?

Daniel Roberts
02-23-2010, 02:05 PM
yup!

iliri85
02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
yup!

Thanks Daniel, appreciate the feedback. :)

iliri85
02-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Feeling a bit sore today when I woke up, took the supplements, now feeling better, not sure if its the supplements doing their job. lol

Weight when I woke up = 191.4lbs

Breakfast I had 2 beef knockwurst 1 egg and yogurt for total of 600 calories, 35g protein. Will take a protein shake in about two hours.

iliri85
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
So the pee started turning bright yellow today, usually drink lot of liquid (mostly water and tea) so I thought something is wrong, so did a quick search and it says this happens when you take vitamin supplements, so it's from the multi plus I guess.

Had me worried for a little bit though. lol

levensok
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
You're okay as long as it doesn't glow in the dark...lol

Titalis
02-24-2010, 06:01 PM
lol, i remember the first time i took true vitamins, not the junk you get at the grocery store. My pee was like neon yellow, freaked me right out.

iliri85
02-24-2010, 06:26 PM
You're okay as long as it doesn't glow in the dark...lol

haha I hope I'm ok ;)

lol, i remember the first time i took true vitamins, not the junk you get at the grocery store. My pee was like neon yellow, freaked me right out.

that's how it look lol, neon yellow, I was at work, and this just started around 3pm, it's been about 3 or 4 times and it continues to be exactly the same.

iliri85
02-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Program 1 Day 2 (B session)

Just came back from the gym and showered, now posting here.

first stretching and getting ready, then bike for 10mins resistance 7 for 2.55miles

Leg Press (machine)
160x6
185x6
200x6
210x6
225x6
230x6x2x2x2 last 6 were tough but doable (usually stayed at 210 maybe 215 on previous visits)

Leg extension (machine)
70x6
85x6
95x6
100x6
105x6
115x6x2x2x2 (100 was previous best, looking to get to 220 by the end of 12 weeks)

Triceps pulldown with cable
35x6
40x6
40x6
45x6
45x6x2x2x2 still feeling sore, arms and chest area, so didn't do as good here :(

Abs
did cable crunch with 35x6x2x2x2 and also sprinter crunches (which were like hell at the end lol)

Energy- 7/10
Focus -8/10
Strength - 6/10
Overall Rating - 7/10

Whole workout lasted 50 to 55 mins, the leg workout didn't really wait the 2 mins before the next set, at time it probably was 45secs, I just felt good so didn't feel like waiting too long. Took results before, and also a bottle with results during workout, and will take another one now, about to eat as well, then time for creatine and more supplements.

I know it's been only 3 days with the supplements but I feel more energized and I think its from taking them + doing the new wbb program.

also update: pee starting to look normal again haha

SquareHead
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
You're doing allot of reps dude! You did 38 reps on your poor tricepts!

iliri85
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
You're doing allot of reps dude! You did 38 reps on your poor tricepts!

How many should I do next time? Does that go for other arm workouts too?

Joe Black
02-26-2010, 06:31 AM
It looks fine to me, how many sets of 6 before the real 6+2+2+2 set comes in is going to vary by individual.

Remember, those aren;t work sets they are just working up to the proper set, so don;t do more thsan you need to but I'm not neccessairly saying what you are doing now is wrong ;) Do what feels right!

iliri85
02-26-2010, 08:14 AM
It looks fine to me, how many sets of 6 before the real 6+2+2+2 set comes in is going to vary by individual.

Remember, those aren;t work sets they are just working up to the proper set, so don;t do more thsan you need to but I'm not neccessairly saying what you are doing now is wrong ;) Do what feels right!

Yeah just building up to the final set, so far it's been great. :)

Question about carbs, are there good carbs and bad carbs and from what foods should I get it?

iliri85
03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Was sore until yesterday so didn't do any additional workouts.

But today feeling great so went in the morning for session A. (changed the order little bit)

Machine Bench Press
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x6
75x6x2x2x2 stopped here for now, next session will try 80 or 85

Barbell Curls
40x6
50x6
50x6
60x6
60x6x2x2x2

Lat Pull Down
65x6
80x6
95x6
100x6
110x6x2x2x2

Overhead Press (machine)
50x6
50x6
50x6
55x6x2x2x2

Then cardio for 10 minutes on bike, resistance 8 for 2.55miles

Barely broke any sweat today, until the last 3 mins on the bike, so not sure if that's good or what. haha

Feeling great and continuing with the supplements.

Energy- 8/10
Focus -10/10
Strength - 8/10
Overall Rating - 8.5/10

iliri85
03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Forgot to add, weighted in the morning and its 193lbs.

iliri85
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 193lbs
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 192lbs
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: 2500 cals, 150 to 200 protein 150 carbs 200fat
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: great so far, only been a week but feeling lot of energy
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: changed the order a bit on session A

levensok
03-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice job--some definite gains from last week!

iliri85
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Nice job--some definite gains from last week!

Thanks man, I want to see if I'll feel sore again, one to two days is ok since next session is lower body.

Daniel Roberts
03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Just an FYI, in case you didn't know this, you don't need to feel sore to prove you worked hard enough. The proof of your efforts is in the progression of the weights.

Many make the mistake of thinking they didn't train hard enough if they are not sore afterwards - it's not important.

Some people get sore all the time, some only when they change things like rep schemes, exercises etc, others get sore in some body parts and not others.

iliri85
03-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Just an FYI, in case you didn't know this, you don't need to feel sore to prove you worked hard enough. The proof of your efforts is in the progression of the weights.

Many make the mistake of thinking they didn't train hard enough if they are not sore afterwards - it's not important.

Some people get sore all the time, some only when they change things like rep schemes, exercises etc, others get sore in some body parts and not others.

I see Daniel, thanks for the heads up. We'll see by tomorrow morning how I feel.

:)

iliri85
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Alright so woke up today and not feeling sore, very interesting lol. It has to be the sups doing the job, last week the soreness wouldn't go away for 4 days almost.

Actually feeling like I can go for another workout right now but it will have to wait till tomorrow. :)

Daniel Roberts
03-02-2010, 07:41 AM
This is exactly the state you want to be in, raring to go - the longer you can keep this up the longer you'll progress and the better you'll look, good job.
As for the soreness, never underestimate the importance of your diet on recovery and the supps are part of that, together they're doing their job. You're in a good place.

iliri85
03-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I was away for 3 days, meaning couldn't go to the gym. Had to go to Germany to pick up my mother and head back the next day, so that means today went in for Session B.

Again I changed the order to see how I do...

30x6
35x6
40x6
45x6
45x6
50x6x2x2x2 new PR (really strong here, felt good, the last six reps could feel it in the abs too)

Leg extension
70x6
90x6
100x6
105x6
110x6
125x6x2x2x2 new PR (could have gone higher, had that much energy, but knew the leg press was coming up so stopped here)

Leg press machine
165x6
190x6
205x6
215x6
230x6
240x6x2x2x2 new PR, really got the heart racing here, and sweating a lot lol

Abs - cable crunch 35x6x2x2x2 + sprinter crunches

Energy- 9/10
Focus -9/10
Strength - 9/10
Overall Rating - 9/10

Best lower body workout in my lifetime haha, and also feeling the best I've ever felt in my 25 years. (and it's only been 2 weeks)

iliri85
03-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Tonight will go for cardio either bike or treadmill, depending how the legs feel, want to really do 30 to 40 minutes steady heart-rate.

I've talked to Tom (through PM) and I've decided to try and lose 5 to 10lbs for the next 10 weeks, doing it gradually though, not affecting the workouts and not losing any muscle mass.

EternalSearcher
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
30x6
35x6
40x6
45x6
45x6
50x6x2x2x2 new PR (really strong here, felt good, the last six reps could feel it in the abs too)

Leg extension
70x6
90x6
100x6
105x6
110x6
125x6x2x2x2 new PR (could have gone higher, had that much energy, but knew the leg press was coming up so stopped here)

Leg press machine
165x6
190x6
205x6
215x6
230x6
240x6x2x2x2 new PR, really got the heart racing here, and sweating a lot lol

3 PR's in one day :omg: , GREAT JOB!!!!! Stick with it, your going strong.

musclemick
03-07-2010, 06:17 AM
I agree with eternalsearcher - 3pr's! good work!! That's gotta be driving you more and more. Looks good in here

Joe Black
03-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Yeah great work on the PRS and an EXCELLENT decision to focus on weight loss.

Trust me, I learnt the hard way and am still learning to a degree. Trying to build muscle when you are carrying a decent amount of bodyfat is HARD. Not only is it just hard to do because your metablism isn't in the right place but it's also hard to even see the results. (because the bodyfat covers them up and because it's simply hard to get the results)

If I was you I would just get any idea of gaining weight out of your head for the entire 10 weeks left. If you were to drop 15lbs, reduce your bodyfat and not gain ANY muscle in the next 10 weeks you would be VERY happy with how you look. And I think in reality you will gain some muscle along the way too.

You just gotta get your head around the one goal of losing weight and dropping bodyfat and gear everything around that goal and you;re going to look and feel better than you ever had in the next 10 weeks.

On that basis, diet and cardio are going to be absolutely key for you - how is that going?

iliri85
03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah great work on the PRS and an EXCELLENT decision to focus on weight loss.

Trust me, I learnt the hard way and am still learning to a degree. Trying to build muscle when you are carrying a decent amount of bodyfat is HARD. Not only is it just hard to do because your metablism isn't in the right place but it's also hard to even see the results. (because the bodyfat covers them up and because it's simply hard to get the results)

If I was you I would just get any idea of gaining weight out of your head for the entire 10 weeks left. If you were to drop 15lbs, reduce your bodyfat and not gain ANY muscle in the next 10 weeks you would be VERY happy with how you look. And I think in reality you will gain some muscle along the way too.

You just gotta get your head around the one goal of losing weight and dropping bodyfat and gear everything around that goal and you;re going to look and feel better than you ever had in the next 10 weeks.

On that basis, diet and cardio are going to be absolutely key for you - how is that going?

Thanks Daniel, hopefully 10 to 15lbs, right now I'm still same weight as two weeks ago, a bit more muscle mass then when I started though, I can see it on the arms and legs.

Diet I'm trying to hit the macros but trying to eat less, so using Nitrean and Results will help reach those goals I think while cutting calories.

As for cardio, what would you suggest I do, I know on the days I train lower body I don't want to do cardio at all, because there's really no energy left lol. But other days, what would you recommend is the right amount so that I'm not losing muscle mass by doing so?

iliri85
03-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Session A today (about 2 hrs ago)

Again changed the order to see if I get better results.

Barbell curls
40x6
60x6
60x6
60x6
60x6x2x2x2

Lat Pulldown
70x6
90x6
100x6
110x6
110x6x2x2x3 (last 2 felt good so I just did another rep and it wasn't to failure)

Machine chest press
60x6
65x6
70x6
75x6
75x6x2x2x2

Overhead press (machine)
50x6
50x6
55x6
60x6x2x2x2

Then 10 minutes crossramp, I feel this is the hardest for cardio haha, heartrate up to 168.

Energy- 7/10
Focus -8/10
Strength - 8/10
Overall Rating - 7.5/10

Everything seemed easy, meaning not struggling to finish the last set but heavy enough not to jump higher yet. :)

Will try and go either tonight or tomorrow morning for more cardio.

iliri85
03-08-2010, 09:25 AM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 194lbs
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 193lbs
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: 2500 cals, 150 to 200 protein 150 carbs 200fat (no much change here, except from now on will try and start cutting calories by 200, then 300, etc)
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: feeling great, lot of gains all around, and I can start seeing it on my body as well
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: again changed order, I think I get more out of the workouts that way, just changing the order from workout to workout
GOAL: to get down to 180 or 185lbs by end of the program. (by first week of May 2010)

chris mason
03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Just a quick note, and you probably know this, but you are adding muscle right now hence your gain in body weight. That is actually great as you will have an easier losing body fat with the increased lean muscle mass.

iliri85
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Just a quick note, and you probably know this, but you are adding muscle right now hence your gain in body weight. That is actually great as you will have an easier losing body fat with the increased lean muscle mass.

I was wondering Chris, why I'm increasing weight, so it's muscle mass. Probably 2 or 3lbs though for these two weeks.

As long as it helps me for long term, I'm not worried. Thanks Chris. :)

iliri85
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Cardio today, gotta do at least 3 days a week now, if I'm to loose 10 to 15lbs in the next 10 weeks.

Did crossramp on step 3 resistance 4, for 30mins 2.06miles burned 268cals

then bike resistance 7 for 20mins 4.10miles burned 143cals

Including 5 minute each at both warmup and cooldown.

Man I sweated like a pig during the crossramp, that machine kicks your ass big time, it was my first time there for 30 mins, heart rate from 135 up to 173 doing intervals.

Joe Black
03-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Chris is right in that a gain in lean mass could be why your bodyweight is up or even maintains. For example it might even be possible for you to just drop just one lb but in reality you lose more than that in fat and gained some muscle.

But, be cautious here. Don't use this as an excuse to feel good when the scale numbers don't go down. You know that you need to lose a solid 10-15lbs and from viewing your pics, this has to be a relentless goal of yours. You're going to have to be pretty aggresive about what you expect each week and I think you gotta be aiming for about 2lbs a week loss for the next few weeks.

So definately step up that cardio to a minumum of 3 days per week. Your last session looked awesome, keep that up for 3 times a week and it's going to make a tremedous difference.

Also your diet numbers look rather odd. You stated you are on 2500 cals, 150 to 200 protein 150 carbs 200fat. I'm worried your counting fat at 4 calories per gram when it is 9 calories per gram.

I just posted in achtungbaby's journals (see here (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?134132-achtungbaby-s-Journal&p=2305512&viewfull=1#post2305512))

I think you would do well on this exact plan. It would be less calories than you are on at the moment and would propbably average out at about 2300 (which is probably for the best seeing as you gained weight last week) and it enables you to have the right energy for your workouts.

Again, great work on that cardio, keep it up.

iliri85
03-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Alright Daniel, will do that from now on. Two more question though, so if I go ahead and train one day then cardio the next and so on, will that be ok? Second question, keep the heartrate at 140 (for the cardio session) or keep doing intervals where it jumps to 160+?

Joe Black
03-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Just fit in the cardio when you can.

I prefer to do mine in the morning, before breakfast and on a day in which I am not weight training. But if you don't want to be in the gym 6 days a week, it's fine to do cardio in the morning and train in the evening or even train and then do cardio afterwards. As long as you get it in, that's what counts.

As for intervals or steady state cardio, do what you prefer - ideally a mix. Later on you can be a bit more strategic about how you do cardio,right now moving for 30 mins 3 times a week is the only goal. I find it pretty tough to do intervals properly for anything over 20 mins so 20 mins intervals followed by 10 mins steady state would work well too. Bottom line though, just get it done ;)

iliri85
03-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Just fit in the cardio when you can.

I prefer to do mine in the morning, before breakfast and on a day in which I am not weight training. But if you don't want to be in the gym 6 days a week, it's fine to do cardio in the morning and train in the evening or even train and then do cardio afterwards. As long as you get it in, that's what counts.

As for intervals or steady state cardio, do what you prefer - ideally a mix. Later on you can be a bit more strategic about how you do cardio,right now moving for 30 mins 3 times a week is the only goal. I find it pretty tough to do intervals properly for anything over 20 mins so 20 mins intervals followed by 10 mins steady state would work well too. Bottom line though, just get it done ;)

I will get it done. Will even try and get in 4 days if possible.

Today doing session B after work, and maybe some bike depending how legs feel. The muscles on the legs feel so strong and they've gotten bigger, maybe that's where I've added the weight lol. Still feeling lot of energy getting 7 to 8 hrs of sleep every night and no soreness at all. :)

iliri85
03-10-2010, 09:57 AM
^ After I wrote that post I quickly went to the gym to get it done basically, so did Session B, no cardio though, not enough time, gotta go to work in 10 minutes. Did the workout in under 40mins.

Leg press machine
175x6
190x6
210x6
220x6
235x6
245x6x2x2x2

40x6
45x6
50x6
55x6
55x6
55x6x2x2x2 improvement from last time :)

Leg extension
80x6
90x6
105x6
115x6
125x6
130x6x2x2x2

Abs - cable crunch 40x6x2x2x2 + sprinter crunches

Energy- 10/10
Focus -9/10
Strength - 9/10
Overall Rating - 9.2/10

PR on all the exercises, feeling great. :)

Joe Black
03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Good job on the prs!!

iliri85
03-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Today in the morning Cardio - Crossramp

crossramp 3 resistance 3 for 5 mins then crossramp 10 resistance 3 for 5 mins for total of 35 mins 2.32miles, cals burned 311.

Felt a bit easier than two days ago, but again last 10 minutes was sweating like rain lol.

Daniel Roberts
03-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Hey, great work in the gym and on the cardio - I hate it and avoid it, so good effort! did you and Tom sort out your intake for the next couple of weeks? I know you were looking at maybe a 15lb loss. I fhtat's not happening then you need to reduce your intake - post up your weight and intake now so we can where you're at.

Incidentally for you, because of you're starting weight a focus on losing fat whilst doing a mass based program will allow you to lose fat without compromising your goal of adding muscle. You're in the holy grail position of being well placed to put on muscle and lose significant body fat.

iliri85
03-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Hey, great work in the gym and on the cardio - I hate it and avoid it, so good effort! did you and Tom sort out your intake for the next couple of weeks? I know you were looking at maybe a 15lb loss. I fhtat's not happening then you need to reduce your intake - post up your weight and intake now so we can where you're at.

Incidentally for you, because of you're starting weight a focus on losing fat whilst doing a mass based program will allow you to lose fat without compromising your goal of adding muscle. You're in the holy grail position of being well placed to put on muscle and lose significant body fat.

No we didn't Daniel, I would love to get some advice on what to eat, etc, if I for example had a plan I would keep it for the next 10 weeks, I'm struggling to count the calories, even though I don't eat much daily, usually 2 or 3 times a day.

I'll post the Session A workout in few minutes, just came back, will eat then come back to post it. :)

iliri85
03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Barbell curls
50x6
60x6
60x6
60x6
70x6x2x2x2 PR (10lbs increase)

Lat Pulldown
90x6
100x6
110x6
110x6
120x6x2x2x2 PR (10lbs increase)

Machine chest press
65x6
70x6
75x6
75x6
80x6x2x2x2 PR (5lbs increase)

Overhead press (machine)
55x6
60x6
65x6x2x2x2 PR (5lbs increase)

At the end cardio on crossramp, step 6 resistance 6 for 14mins 1.12miles 126cals

Energy- 8/10
Focus -8/10
Strength - 9/10
Overall Rating - 8.5/10

Great workout, really feeling strong these past few days now. Another thing not sure what it means though, didn't sweat during the weight training, only when doing cardio. lol

Also legs on felt sore one day from the session B, plus I did cardio the next day which works the legs (crossramp) but the recovery is so fast it's actually amazing. Usually I would feel it a week (soreness) so big change here. Very happy with how things are going. :) (I'll report on the weight on Monday)

Joe Black
03-12-2010, 12:52 PM
No we didn't Daniel, I would love to get some advice on what to eat, etc, if I for example had a plan I would keep it for the next 10 weeks, I'm struggling to count the calories, even though I don't eat much daily, usually 2 or 3 times a day.

I'll post the Session A workout in few minutes, just came back, will eat then come back to post it. :)

I can help you with the diet. The hard truth is you have to give this your full attention if you want to shed the weight and look your best at the end of the 12 weeks.

Did you read my post in acthungs journal ? Do you understand that plan? Those numbers would be absolutely perfect for you and I suggest you stick with those and the cardio and you'll not only shed fat but put on some muscle.

As for the detail of what to eat, I suggest you use fitday (fitday.com). If not it is going to be the best tool for you to count your calories. Create an account and have a play around and then use it to track your calories daily.

So first steps are understand the plan I posted in achtung's journal (the numbers etc) and get familiar with fitday.

Tomorrow I will post some suggestions and help for what to eat, but can you also post a list of questions that are confusing you about exactly what to eat and I can take them into account in my advice to you.

Cheers.

Daniel

iliri85
03-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I can help you with the diet. The hard truth is you have to give this your full attention if you want to shed the weight and look your best at the end of the 12 weeks.

Did you read my post in acthungs journal ? Do you understand that plan? Those numbers would be absolutely perfect for you and I suggest you stick with those and the cardio and you'll not only shed fat but put on some muscle.

As for the detail of what to eat, I suggest you use fitday (fitday.com). If not it is going to be the best tool for you to count your calories. Create an account and have a play around and then use it to track your calories daily.

So first steps are understand the plan I posted in achtung's journal (the numbers etc) and get familiar with fitday.

Tomorrow I will post some suggestions and help for what to eat, but can you also post a list of questions that are confusing you about exactly what to eat and I can take them into account in my advice to you.

Cheers.

Daniel

Alright Daniel, will look forward to your suggestions. Really if you can just suggest and give me some ideas on what foods etc, hopefully we can plan it out, eating 3 times daily would work fine for me (not forgetting about nitrean and results though). Or if you can tell me the best foods to hit all the macros, price will be no issue, it's all about giving it 110% into the program to get great results at the end. Already starting to look better though, I hope it's not just my eyes. haha

And I will start using fitday.com. (also forgot to mention I read your post in achtung's journal)

Joe Black
03-13-2010, 06:20 AM
See here :)

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?134802-One-Long-Ass-Post-on-Nutrition

iliri85
03-13-2010, 08:19 AM
See here :)

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?134802-One-Long-Ass-Post-on-Nutrition

Thanks Daniel, read it, and will ask questions as we go on from here.

Here's the fitday journal for me. http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...?Owner=iliri85

Will try and hit 2000 calories on non training days, and 2400 on training days (weightlifting or cardio).

or (taken from your post in achtungs post)

Training days - 75/250/200 (fat/carbs/protein)
Off Days - 75/175/200 (fat/carbs/protein)

iliri85
03-13-2010, 08:25 AM
If I go over 175 carbs during off days will that be a problem?

Daniel Roberts
03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
It'll be a problem if fat or protein doesn't go down to accommodate. If they don't go down then going over 175g carbs will take your average up and you out of a deficit - which is what you in particular need to be in consistently.

Joe Black
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
What he said ;)

iliri85
03-15-2010, 08:45 AM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 192.5lbs
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 194lbs
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: 2300 cals, 180 to 200 protein 175 carbs 200fat
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: same as last week, strong gains
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: adding cardio, trying to do 4 days 40mins
GOAL: to get down to 180 or 185lbs by end of the program. (by first week of May 2010)

So weight is going down I guess, finally. Will watch carefully what I eat this week and see what result I get next Monday.

Joe Black
03-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Good job - be consistent with that diet and cardio and you'll lean up and add some muscle along the way too over the next 10 weeks. Keep it UP!

iliri85
03-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Good job - be consistent with that diet and cardio and you'll lean up and add some muscle along the way too over the next 10 weeks. Keep it UP!

Yeah thanks a lot Daniel, you've been really helpful with the tips, comments, etc. :)

iliri85
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Did Session B yesterday, but posting it now. (I keep everything on the iphone anyways lol)

Leg press machine
175x6
190x6
220x6
230x6
240x6
245x6x2x2x2

40x6
45x6
50x6
55x6
55x6
60x6x2x2x2 PR

Leg extension
80x6
90x6
110x6
120x6
125x6
130x6x2x2x2

Abs - cable crunch 40x6x2x2x2 + sprinter crunches

Energy- 9/10
Focus -8/10
Strength - 9/10
Overall Rating - 8.7/10

iliri85
03-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Today in the morning (right after breakfast) did cardio.

Crossramp 5 Resistance 5

40mins for 3.08miles burned 410 calories (again sweating like I've never done in my life before haha)

Not bad I think, have to continue this way, at least 40 minutes, every other day. I'll see if I can get maybe 10 to 15 mins tomorrow on bike after Session A.

:)

iliri85
03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Much better with the macros today.

So far 86g fat, 90g carbs, 117g protein for total of 1607 cals

So I got another 4 to 5 hundred cals to go and I should be able to come closer to 200 for protein and 170 for carbs. (with nitrean and results)

Chicken breast definitely helped though. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

iliri85
03-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Today's food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1268697600.)

Calories: 2,341 / Fat: 107.2g / Carbs: 147.5g / Protein: 195.1

levensok
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Nice job, iliri! I'm hungry just looking at your lack of calories :) Also, in the MAss. area, you must get a lot of good seafood. Shrimp & crab are excellent sources of protein if you can get it at a good price.

iliri85
03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Alright so did Session A today, here's how everything went..

Lat Pulldown
90x6
110x6
120x6
120x6
130x6x2x2x2 PR

Machine chest press
70x6
75x6
75x6
80x6
85x6x2x2x2 PR

Barbell curls
50x6
60x6
60x6
60x6
70x6x2x2x2

Overhead press (machine)
55x6
60x6
65x6x2x2x2

...then cardio 5 mins on stairmaster just to see how that works (hard as hell lol), then bike total 20mins (5mins resistance 7, 5mins resistance 4, back and forth), 5.03miles calories burned 190.

Switched the order again, and it worked, helping with lat pull down and machine chest press getting PRs there.

Energy- 9/10
Focus -9/10
Strength - 9/10
Overall Rating - 9/10

Today's food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1268784000.)

Calories: 2,597 / Fat: 104.3g / Carbs: 262.9g / Protein: 186.5

iliri85
03-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Cardio today in the morning (before breakfast)

Crossramp 5 Resitance 5 for 35mins, 2.68miles calories burned 365.

No aching form yesterdays workout, it really is amazing, it's like I didn't even visit the gym. lol

iliri85
03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Today's food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1268870400.)

Calories: 2,242 / Fat: 88.2g / Carbs: 180.2g / Protein: 177.1

iliri85
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Will update later on today, Friday and Saturday I was away on a trip to Detriot for a class, got back Sunday morning.

iliri85
03-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Alright so like I said, was away on a trip for a class I had to do for work. (airline industry) Couldn't do the sessions or the cardio which sucked. :(

3/21/10 food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269129600.) - (sunday)

Today got Session B done and man what a workout, still feeling it in my legs.

50x6
55x6
55x6
60x6
65x6x2x2x2 PR

Standing calf machine - didn't have it before in the gym, not sure if it was broken or what, but thank god they have it now, jumped in right away
100x8
120x6
140x6
140x6
160x6x2x2x2 PR

Leg press machine
165x6
185x6
205x6
225x6
245x6
265x6x2x2x2 PR, 20lbs increase :) :) :) really strong here, my legs are the stongest, always have been, huge muscles lol, I joke with friends saying I have soccer legs.

Leg extension
85x6
100x6
110x6
120x6
135x6
140x6x2x2x2 PR

Abs -

first did cable crunch with 30lbs x30x20x15x10x5

then the ab machine where you put your hands on top and push it down using your abs, 70x6 & 90x6x2x2x2

Energy- 10/10
Focus -10/10
Strength - 10/10
Overall Rating - 10/10

Here's the macros so far today,

Today's food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269216000.)

iliri85
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 191lbs
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 192.5lbs
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: 2150 cals, 180g protein 175g carbs 100g fat
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: strong gains, feeling great
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: added standing calf machine exercise
GOAL: to get down to 180 or 185lbs by end of the program. (by first week of May 2010) SAME

Everything is going smooth, stopped taking results except when I'm short for carbs then I'll take it, usually training day. Otherwise so far I'm being to keep macros where Daniel wants them to be. :)

Again will try and get at least 4 days cardio 30 to 40 mins, next few weeks should be easy to achieve that goal.

levensok
03-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Nice work. Congrats on the weight loss.

iliri85
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Nice work. Congrats on the weight loss.

Thanks buddy. :)

iliri85
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Today's food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269302400.)

Calories: 2,263 / Fat: 103.8g / Carbs: 198.8g / Protein: 169.1

That will be it for the day, I calculated a scoop of Nitrean and Results in it that I will take later on tonight.

Did cardio today: Crossramp

35mins at ramp 6 resistance 6 then final 5 minutes at ramp 2 resistance 2 (cooling down)

total 3.26miles calories burned 362.7

Feel like it's getting easier doing it, remember before I stayed away from this machine, tried it about two or three times never staying more than 5 mins, felt like dying haha. (long way from that stage)

Last two days weather has been like crap in the 40s, so got stuffy nose (maybe some allergies) but its not affecting my trainings. :)

Joe Black
03-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Good job with the diet and weight loss. This now needs to be your minumum leve of loss per week. We need to keep that weight loss at 1.5-2lbs a week consistently and a couple of 3lb weeks wouldn't hurt.

Your food journals are looking much better well done, keep working hard at keeping the calories and macros as we discussed.

Whats your total cardio for the week generally would you say?

Also do you have any updated pics?

iliri85
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Good job with the diet and weight loss. This now needs to be your minumum leve of loss per week. We need to keep that weight loss at 1.5-2lbs a week consistently and a couple of 3lb weeks wouldn't hurt.

You think I should go below 2000 cals on non-lifting days or stay the same course? I'm thinking because I'm gaining muscle mass, the results aren't showing that much lol. (maybe I'm wrong?)

Your food journals are looking much better well done, keep working hard at keeping the calories and macros as we discussed.

So stay same level for carbs, fat and protein right?

Whats your total cardio for the week generally would you say?

4 days, 40 mins each, all on crossramp.

Also do you have any updated pics?

Alright, first photo is from Dec. '09

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4332/photoiy.jpg

and this one is taken half an hour ago (03/24/10)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7246/photolf.jpg

iliri85
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
cardio today: Crossramp

30mins at ramp 6 resistance 6 then final 5 minutes at ramp 1 resistance 1 (cooling down)

total 2.70miles calories burned 368.9

Feeling so much energy, even though woke up with headache, stuffy nose, feels like I caught a cold or something. :(

Gym is my medicine now. haha :)

Daniel Roberts
03-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Great job iliri, I can see change and I can tell lifting is starting to change your life. You are gaining muscle, that's clear, but your fat loss is not happening fast enough. That being the case and given you're working with Daniel Clough on the diet, I would ask him about how to decrease your calories further.

My main concern is your exercise selection for Session B, in particular, the leg extension. From what I can tell you are doing leg press (good) but no pulling variation i.e. deadlift. By choosing the leg extension, which is a quad only isolation exercise, in addition to the leg press (another predominantly quad focused exercise) you're missing out on training pretty much every muscle in the posterior chain and upper back - pretty much everything you can't see in a mirror.

You're not only missing out on growing these muscles, but you're also missing out on the energy expended doing these hard exercises.

Ditch the leg extension and pick a deadlift variation - it could be from the floor, it could be a rack pull from below the knee, just above the knee whatever. Do this and the changes to your physique will be drastic and speedier.

iliri85
03-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Great job iliri, I can see change and I can tell lifting is starting to change your life. You are gaining muscle, that's clear, but your fat loss is not happening fast enough. That being the case and given you're working with Daniel Clough on the diet, I would ask him about how to decrease your calories further.

My main concern is your exercise selection for Session B, in particular, the leg extension. From what I can tell you are doing leg press (good) but no pulling variation i.e. deadlift. By choosing the leg extension, which is a quad only isolation exercise, in addition to the leg press (another predominantly quad focused exercise) you're missing out on training pretty much every muscle in the posterior chain and upper back - pretty much everything you can't see in a mirror.

You're not only missing out on growing these muscles, but you're also missing out on the energy expended doing these hard exercises.

Ditch the leg extension and pick a deadlift variation - it could be from the floor, it could be a rack pull from below the knee, just above the knee whatever. Do this and the changes to your physique will be drastic and speedier.

I will try the deadlift next session Daniel. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :)

And yeah it is changing my life, I mean the picture might not show it that well, but I feel tight (meaning I feel muscles hardening) all over the body, first time in my life lol. Still a long way to go of course, and that's where I want to lose another 10 to 15lbs, and then see if I want to stay there or slowly add muscle mass.

Hopefully Mr. Clough will tell me what to do next with the calories, cut more or what?

Daniel Roberts
03-25-2010, 07:26 AM
In the following 7 weeks or so, it is well within your capability to lose 20+ lbs, which is the minimum I'd be shooting for, without compromising your muscle gain.

I see cutting calories on your horizon! Daniel will help out there.

iliri85
03-25-2010, 10:54 AM
In the following 7 weeks or so, it is well within your capability to lose 20+ lbs, which is the minimum I'd be shooting for, without compromising your muscle gain.

I see cutting calories on your horizon! Daniel will help out there.

20lbs would be awesome, hopefully it's achievable within the next 8 weeks or so. I'm commited to getting it done, whatever it takes.

Should I consider buying Nitor for fat loss?

iliri85
03-25-2010, 08:33 PM
3/24/10 food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269388800.)

Calories: 2,007 / Fat: 79.2g / Carbs: 201.2g / Protein: 156.6

Today's food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269475200.)

Calories: 1,768 / Fat: 87.6g / Carbs: 146.6g / Protein: 140.6

cardio today: Crossramp (03/25/10)

40mins at ramp 6 resistance 6 then final 5 minutes at ramp 1 resistance 1 (cooling down)

total 3.47miles calories burned 470

Tomorrow morning, Session A.

Joe Black
03-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Hey!

I'm interested to see your end of week report to see your weight against last weeks before makin a change. Your following 2450 and 2250 for training and non training days right? You;ve really only been doing this for about 2 weeks and sometimes it can take that long for things to pick up so I don't want to reduce uneccessarily, but generally yeah I am thinking we'll cut calories further and increase cardio also.

Look forward to your end of week report.

iliri85
03-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Hey!

I'm interested to see your end of week report to see your weight against last weeks before makin a change. Your following 2450 and 2250 for training and non training days right? You;ve really only been doing this for about 2 weeks and sometimes it can take that long for things to pick up so I don't want to reduce uneccessarily, but generally yeah I am thinking we'll cut calories further and increase cardio also.

Look forward to your end of week report.

That's what I'm thinking too Daniel, it's only been really about 10 days that I've started counting and staying around 2,000 (not going higher than 2,400). We'll see Monday where I am then we'll go from there. Also had question should I consider taking Nitor?

iliri85
03-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Session A yesterday morning

Lat Pulldown
90x6
110x6
120x6
120x6
135x6x2x2x2 PR

Machine chest press
70x6
75x6
75x6
80x6
90x6x2x2x2 PR

Barbell curls
50x6
60x6
60x6
70x6
70x6x2x2x2

Overhead press (machine)
55x6
65x6
70x6x2x2x2 PR

No cardio, wanted to rest the legs a bit after doing a few days cardio and session B.

Energy- 8/10
Focus -8/10
Strength - 8/10
Overall Rating - 8/10

iliri85
03-27-2010, 07:49 AM
03/26/10 Food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269561600.)

Calories: 2,189 / Fat: 92.3g / Carbs: 161.4g / Protein: 178.4

Joe Black
03-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Don't worry about Nitor for now, I would rather get the diet and cardio nailed and then we can add that in later when things get tougher.

iliri85
03-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Session B last night.

50x6
60x6
60x6
65x6
70x6x2x2x2 PR

Standing calf machine - didn't have it before in the gym, not sure if it was broken or what, but thank god they have it now, jumped in right away
100x8
140x6
160x6
160x6
180x6x2x2x2 PR

Leg press machine
165x6
185x6
225x6
245x6
265x6
275x6x2x2x2 PR

Leg extension
105x6
110x6
120x6
130x6
140x6
150x6x2x2x2 PR

Abs -

cable crunch with 30lbs x30x20x15x10x5

ab machine where you put your hands on top and push it down using your abs, 70x6 & 90x6x2x2x2

Energy- 8/10
Focus -8.5/10
Strength - 8/10
Overall Rating - 8.2/10

03/27/10 Food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269648000.)

Calories: 2,364 / Fat: 114.5g / Carbs: 185.7g / Protein: 151.6g

03/28/10 Food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269734400.)

Calories: 2,260 / Fat: 107g / Carbs: 177g / Protein: 147.6g

iliri85
03-29-2010, 09:52 AM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 189.7lbs
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 191lbs
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: 2150 cals, 180g protein 175g carbs 100g fat (no change here)
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: strong gains, feeling great (same)
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: nope
GOAL: to get down to 180 or 185lbs by end of the program. (by first week of May 2010) SAME

Started taking results again two scoops daily, both scoops at same time that way I don't forget. (usually early part of the day)

Getting easier to count the cals and know where I am during the day, haven't gone more than 2400 on any day (few days stayed little under 2000), so a loss of 1.3lbs from last week, maybe it's taking time until the body starts losing weight who knows, or maybe the muscle mass gains are pretty good, either way I'll continue with the plan until I hit 180 or 175 and see how I look there.

Started to see lines in the quads for first time, so that only means there's less fat there right? lol

Daniel Roberts
03-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Where's the deadlift buddy? Trust me, not only your muscle gain, but your fat loss is losing out by not doing it.
As for the fat loss, at your starting point, if you're in a true and consistent calorie deficit the fat loss should happen almost immediately especially as your activity is drastically increased.
Again your starting point will allow you to build muscle and lose fat at the same time because your fat stores provide the surplus required (as you get leaner this becomes less likely and by this I mean a visible outline of your abs) so don't worry about missing out on muscle.

How are you counting calories, you say it's getting easier, which to me means you've not got it nailed down yet? This is where your problem is. You are very likely underestimating how much you're eating.
Even fitday requires you input what you've eaten and the amount, so it is no guarantee to us that what is being spat out by the computer is actually what you ate!!
If the fat loss is slow it is down to one thing; the amount of food you're eating. And vice versa for the guys trying to put on weight.

iliri85
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Where's the deadlift buddy? Trust me, not only your muscle gain, but your fat loss is losing out by not doing it.
As for the fat loss, at your starting point, if you're in a true and consistent calorie deficit the fat loss should happen almost immediately especially as your activity is drastically increased.
Again your starting point will allow you to build muscle and lose fat at the same time because your fat stores provide the surplus required (as you get leaner this becomes less likely and by this I mean a visible outline of your abs) so don't worry about missing out on muscle.

How are you counting calories, you say it's getting easier, which to me means you've not got it nailed down yet? This is where your problem is. You are very likely underestimating how much you're eating.
Even fitday requires you input what you've eaten and the amount, so it is no guarantee to us that what is being spat out by the computer is actually what you ate!!
If the fat loss is slow it is down to one thing; the amount of food you're eating. And vice versa for the guys trying to put on weight.

Yeah I didn't get it in (deadlift), definitely the next session Daniel. (I promise)

As for calories, maybe there's something wrong, I'm only eating the items I'm putting in the fitday site, I know for sure I'm eating lot less, when compared to the previous two or three weeks (or before I started the program). Could it be that I need a lot less calories to maintain?

iliri85
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
cardio today: Crossramp

30mins at ramp 6 resistance 6 then final 5 minutes at ramp 1 resistance 1 (cooling down)

total 2.63miles calories burned 362.4

When should I do deload week? (and whats the rule of thumb for reps/sets)

Joe Black
03-29-2010, 03:45 PM
If you're using fitday, you should be set. Try and be as accurate as possible. Put everything you eat in and where possible, create a custom food and enter the nutritional information yourself as this often means a higher level of accuracy. But it sounds like you got it handled in any case.

Deload should be this week I think. If you're feeling fresh, do the deload next week. If you feel like you need the break, do it this week. Work steadily up to 2 sets of 15 reps and keep 4 or 5 in the tank beyond it, remember this is deload week and the point is to give your body a rest whilst keeping things ticking over.

As for the diet, lets bring the calories down a little. You lost 1.3lbs last week which is good, but we gotta get things moving along a little.

Aim for the following:

Training days - 75/175/200 (fat/carbs/protein) 2175
Off Days - 75/100/200 (fat/carbs/protein) 1875

Keep cardio where it is for now, but if you wanna squeeze more in, so be it.

I've basically just reduced carbs on both days.

As usual though, the total calories are the most important thing. Stick to the macros as best you can, but whatever happens, stick to the total calories.

On the deload week, do every day at 1875.

This will get things moving in the right direction more quickly.

iliri85
03-30-2010, 07:27 AM
If you're using fitday, you should be set. Try and be as accurate as possible. Put everything you eat in and where possible, create a custom food and enter the nutritional information yourself as this often means a higher level of accuracy. But it sounds like you got it handled in any case.

Deload should be this week I think. If you're feeling fresh, do the deload next week. If you feel like you need the break, do it this week. Work steadily up to 2 sets of 15 reps and keep 4 or 5 in the tank beyond it, remember this is deload week and the point is to give your body a rest whilst keeping things ticking over.

As for the diet, lets bring the calories down a little. You lost 1.3lbs last week which is good, but we gotta get things moving along a little.

Aim for the following:

Training days - 75/175/200 (fat/carbs/protein) 2175
Off Days - 75/100/200 (fat/carbs/protein) 1875

Keep cardio where it is for now, but if you wanna squeeze more in, so be it.

I've basically just reduced carbs on both days.

As usual though, the total calories are the most important thing. Stick to the macros as best you can, but whatever happens, stick to the total calories.

On the deload week, do every day at 1875.

This will get things moving in the right direction more quickly.

Alright Daniel, I will do deload next week then. Continue doing cardio during deload?

And I will drop the calories where you want them together with the macros. Let's see if that brings any changes. :)

Joe Black
03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
yep, keep up the cardio on deload, in fact increase it if you can a little.

iliri85
03-30-2010, 03:58 PM
yep, keep up the cardio on deload, in fact increase it if you can a little.

Great, thanks Daniel. :)

cardio today: Crossramp (03/30/10)

40mins at ramp 6 resistance 6 then final 5 minutes at ramp 1 resistance 1 (cooling down)

total 3.53miles calories burned 486

03/29/10 Food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269820800.)

Calories: 2,305 / Fat: 99.9g / Carbs: 217.3g / Protein: 137.3g

03/30/10 Food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269907200.)

Calories: 1,869 / Fat: 66.1g / Carbs: 119.7g / Protein: 199.3g

Eating final meal (chicken breast + greek yogurt) in about half an hour, did input it at fitday and surprised to finally have all the macros where I want them to be lol. I'm very happy, protein is at 200g, and low fat and carbs, plus calories exactly where Daniel wants it to be on off days. Have to follow this exact eating plan from now on, might be kind of boring at times but will do anything to get results. :)

Joe Black
03-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Good job with the food logs mate. REALLY good job. As you are starting to find out, it's actually quite tricky at first to hit low calories and specific macros and you quickly realize that before you were over eating!

Try and input it early on in the day into fitday and plan ahead, that way you know you aren;t going to get a nasty surprise.

Yeah, it's a bit boring but TRUST me, you gotta fight through this stage and get that fat loss sped up. Unfortauntely you notice the lbs coming off visually towards the latter of a cut and this is what causes most people to quit early on. Don't be that guy - keep pushing and it's gonna keep coming off nicely!

iliri85
03-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Good job with the food logs mate. REALLY good job. As you are starting to find out, it's actually quite tricky at first to hit low calories and specific macros and you quickly realize that before you were over eating!

Try and input it early on in the day into fitday and plan ahead, that way you know you aren;t going to get a nasty surprise.

Yeah, it's a bit boring but TRUST me, you gotta fight through this stage and get that fat loss sped up. Unfortauntely you notice the lbs coming off visually towards the latter of a cut and this is what causes most people to quit early on. Don't be that guy - keep pushing and it's gonna keep coming off nicely!

Yeah man, now that I think about it, I only ate twice daily (for the past few years) but it was lot of bread and bad choices, which I'm sure put me somewhere around 300+g of carbs and 150+g fat probably daily. I didn't eat much but what I ate was a bad choice lol.

Already feeling lighter now though, the walk I do at college from where I park the car, then we have a bunch of stairs (like almost 10 minutes of climbing), usually would be out of breath at the end, now it's nothing thanks to the program, cardio and food choices I'm sure. Well thanks to you guys first of all. :)

Also feeling lines of muscle in the arms, when stretching. :clap:

iliri85
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Session B today in the morning (3/31/10)

55x6
60x6
60x6
65x6
70x6x2x2x2

Standing calf machine
140x8
160x6
160x6
180x6
200x6x2x2x2 PR

Leg press machine
190x6
210x6
230x6
250x6
270x6x2x2x2 stayed 270, even though I went 275 last time :(

Deadlift
50x6
100x6
100x6
100x6
120x6x2x2x2

Abs -
cable crunch with 35lbs x30x20x15x10x5

ab machine where you put your hands on top and push it down using your abs, 70x6 & 90x6x2x2x2

Energy- 7.5/10
Focus -8.5/10
Strength - 7/10
Overall Rating - 7.5/10

03/31/10 Food log: (http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1269993600.)

Calories: 2,174 / Fat: 83.1g / Carbs: 168.3g / Protein: 188.5g

Again right on the money for the macros. :)

Mr. Roberts, is there any substitute for the deadlift, reason is I had to wait about 20 mins to finally be able to do it, there's always groups there taking their time. (unless you want me to wait?)

Daniel Roberts
04-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Good job with the food now, good to know you've seen the light!

Substitute for deadlift? Variations of a deadlift, that's it! You say you had to wait around - I'm unclear what for. For the deadlift you only need a bar, some weights and the floor; am I missing something?

iliri85
05-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, I wasn't able to post for the past 7 weeks now, the job I have had me go to training class at start of april up until last week. So basically wasn't able to train while there and finish the program but I stayed with the nutrition program. Have gotten back on it this week and will update you guys in 2 or 3 months on the changes.

I'm sitting at 185lbs right now, feeling great, I was anywhere from 195 to 200lbs when I started, usually closer to 200 to tell you the truth. So the nutrition and the weight training helped a lot, to lose 10+lbs in 3 months, and now I want to get down to 170lbs get lean and then plan the future from there.

Thank you everyone with the help, tips, etc, especially Daniel Clough and Daniel Roberts.

Here's the pic from the start of program

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5461/foto121009.jpg

and here is one pic taken today in the morning

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4705/foto052210.jpg

the pic doesn't really show it but I've gained a lot from the program, here's a cool thing, before I was never able to do any pushups because of weak strength and being overweight, now I'm doing 15reps without stopping, the program has basically changed my life, the way I view training, nutrition and dedication.

Thanks again everyone. :)