PDA

View Full Version : Low Bar Squats

RalphL
02-16-2010, 07:02 PM
I've been trying to switch to these because I find I can move more weight with them, but I am having trouble keeping the bar on my back. It bothers my wrists and I feel like the weight is going to slide off my back. Any tips for doing these? The barbells at my gyms also don't have knurling in the middle of the bar so that makes it a bit more difficult.

joey54
02-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Join a new gym for starters if possible.

See if you can bring your hands in on the bar.

RalphL
02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
This gym is a lot better than the alternative haha. These bars are weird though. The rings are a lot farther apart than on a regular BB. I tried different grips and didnt feel much of a change.

ehopkins932
02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Chalking up your back/bar and using wrist wraps helped me a lot.

Sean S
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
How low are you carrying the bar? If it's below the rear delts it might be too low and sliding because there's nothing there to really hold it in place.

RalphL
02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
It's right on my traps/rear delts. I feel like part of the problem is the lack of knurling in the middle of the bar is causing it to slide down my back/rest on my wrists.

Sensei
02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/01/wrist-pain-when-squatting.html

Not mentioned in the blog post, but I started using a false grip w. the bar placed pretty deep in the palm when I injured my wrist lifting irregular stones about 10 years ago and now it's the only grip I use.

mastermonster
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Get some skate board friction tape (don't know what it's really called) and put a wrap of it on the middle of the bar. Be sure and wear a t-shirt (not tank) because it's like sandpaper. Got mine at Academy. Cheap fix if you don't want to buy your own squat bar and leave it at the gym. If you can't afford a good squat bar New York Barbell makes an O.K. squat bar (92inch / 55 lbs. with the collars). It's cheap but it's...cheap. We're squatting with one now with over 800 and doing takeouts back to 900 and it's holding up so far (had it 7-8 month now). Definately not a quality bar like a Texas, but O.K. trainer. It might be low cost enough for you to team up with 2-3 buddies and get one. I paid 189.00 + shipping (Total 229.00ish I believe). We will eventually buy a Texas Squat Bar but it's getting us by pretty good for now. Maybe one of these will help. Good luck.

SEOINAGE
02-17-2010, 02:19 AM
chalk your shirt. When you mean no knurling in the center, do you mean just a little 6 inches or a larger amount? as long as their is some knurling on your shoulders i would think you would be ok with some chalk added.

Travis Bell
02-17-2010, 03:29 AM
I'm with Buddy, get some grip tape to help with that.

Really get your traps tight as well to help give the bar something to sit on.

Penguinz
02-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Have you tried lifting your arms up higher. I mean like lifting your elbows up.

I've always found that this really holds it in place better and takes almost all the weight off my wrists.

Also you are wearing a shirt right? It doesn't like to stay put on sweaty skin, even with knurling.

ScottYard
02-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Bring your grip in on the bar and get those elbows downs. make sure you are pushing your traps into the bar while pulling on the bar while pushing your elbows down.

but as some one else said. If you can Save for your own bar and ask if theyll let you store it there. it will make thigns much easier on you.

Beaker
02-17-2010, 01:57 PM
my buddies gym has these same bars youre talking about, not only is there no knurling in the middle, but the knurling on the rest of the bar is much "softer" and less grippable than most bars im used to,

chalk helps a lot but its still not perfect. like a lot of people have said, try adjusting your grip and really focus on keeping your upper back tight.

ive never thought of the grip tape idea but it sounds cool, id wear a thick T shirt though bc that stuff is ROUGH.

blownby
02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Also if the bar knurling looks to be dirty...bring a wire brush and clean it out. That will probably help the knurl grip better as if it's a commercial gym bar it maybe loaded w/ dead skin./..... Also go easy on the chalk on the bar as too much becomes slick.

JSully
02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
false grip plus REALLY squeezing your traps and flexing your rear delts..

RalphL
02-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I'll try the things you guys suggested next squat day. I'm pretty sure my gym has a few more barbells lying around so I'll see if those help.