PDA

View Full Version : Something went very wrong today at the gym

fixationdarknes
02-17-2010, 10:04 AM
I generally eat a package of oatmeal with a bit of 1% milk pre-workout. I figured though that these carbs were too slow and that I needed more protein, so I tried blending a shake of 2 scoops of whey and like 4 teaspoons of dextrose or something (probably not enough) with perhaps 12-16 ounces of skim milk. I drank about two thirds of it and left the rest for post-workout. After my 5 work sets of leg press I felt like throwing up and really could not finish my workout, lol. I took the shake about 20 minutes before my workout. I'm guessing the fact that I had milk right before my workout made it suck? I slept about 4.5-5ish hours following, and went to the gym about 30 minutes after waking up.

Should I just blend the whey/dex with water next time? And if I want to go with the oatmeal in the morning, how long should I have it before lifting?

Thanks.

4g64fiero
02-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I find that anything over 12 oz of milk before a workout tends to make for a less energetic workout. Especially by itself.

Travis Bell
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
It was probably more likely the dextrose. Jacking you insulin that close to a workout could have been what made you feel ill.

Try taking that stuff more close to an hour pre workout.

Metal_Man
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm very sensitive to extremely sugary drinks...they make me crash very quickly after drinking them (insulin response) so I pretty much avoid them pre-workout.

Maybe try having your oats and whey without the added dextrose...the milk (if you use it instead of water) will have some simple sugars in it anyway. Then spike your post-workout drink with the dextrose as this is the best time to replenish your glycogen stores and create an insulin response.

Allen Cress
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Travis is correct. You don't want to take something which is basically sugar before a workout because you will more than likely crash during. The oatmeal is good with whey before a workout and it just depends on the person on how long before a workout they need to eat. I would say around 45 min-1 hour prior to be safe. You could also do fruit like an apple, orange, or any berry and protein powder prior as they digest easier.

Honestly the whole spike your insuling after your workout is overrated. If you were to eat a regular meal after you would be fine. Yes spiking insulin will deliver nutrients faster but not to the extent that it matters. You would actually have to take an insulin shot for that to really make a difference.

Holto
02-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I've had great success with taking dex during a workout. I'd wait until my first heavy set and start sipping. The adrenaline blunts the insulin response.

The real question is why 5 sets of leg press ;)

malkore
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, Results contains 80grams of Dextrose per serving, and you take it 60 minutes pre-workout. Doesn't make me crash at all, and I even workout at 7:30pm after my normal work day at the office.

Maybe its the combo of beta alanine and Nitrean mixed in that prevents a sugar crash.

Holto
02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't believe nausea is a symptom of an insulin spike. I'd point to the milk here.

Allen Cress
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Its not the insulin spike that cause nausea its the crash.

Some people can take more simple sugars before or during the workout and some can't, its all individual, My point is that taking it right before or during is not needed and is marketing hype. Just look at T-nation's products, namely the rediculous Anaconda protocol.

Just eat and train hard period!!

fixationdarknes
02-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Acress, about the insulin though, I usually throw in around 10 teaspoons of dextrose and have never gotten owned like this before lol. I only put in 4 teaspoons with my shake this morning. Only thing different from what I have done in the past is that I used milk rather than water. Logic in my eyes would point toward the milk!

The real question is why 5 sets of leg press ;)

Wait what do you mean? lol

Skalami
02-18-2010, 06:39 AM
whey protein with water and an apple or banana 30minutes before hitting the gym

Daniel Roberts
02-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Something about your replies doesn't make sense, you initially said
I generally eat a package of oatmeal with a bit of 1% milk pre-workout. I figured though that these carbs were too slow and that I needed more protein, so I tried blending a shake of 2 scoops of whey and like 4 teaspoons of dextrose or something (probably not enough) with perhaps 12-16 ounces of skim milk.

and then said
Acress, about the insulin though, I usually throw in around 10 teaspoons of dextrose and have never gotten owned like this before lol. I only put in 4 teaspoons with my shake this morning. Only thing different from what I have done in the past is that I used milk rather than water. Logic in my eyes would point toward the milk!

I don't understand whether you've done this before or whether this is the first time you've made this shake and not just stuck to your oatmeal.

Whatever, either you 'crashed' as Travis and Acress pointed out (did you feel cold, shaky, lightheaded and nauseous?) or you just drank and ate too much too soon before training (which would be just nausea).

Allen Cress
02-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Then its probably the milk. My point is that it is really not needed and real food works best.

Travis Bell
02-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Again, i agree with Allen. I was saying that the dex caused the crash.

The milk probably mixed with the dextrose just upset your stomach

Also noticed the contradictions your posts have though. I'm a tad confused.

Holto
02-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Wait what do you mean? lol

I just can't imagine having the energy to do 5 sets of leg press after squatting. :)

Holto
02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Its not the insulin spike that cause nausea its the crash.

I see, a symptom of low BGL.

fixationdarknes
02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Something about your replies doesn't make sense, you initially said

Also noticed the contradictions your posts have though. I'm a tad confused.

What I said is I generally eat oatmeal in the morning before my workout. I later said I usually mix the whey and dex with water (leaving out "the times that I DO make a shake before my workout", because "generally" means I don't always eat oatmeal before my workout). But true, I should have been more specific about that.

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.