PDA

View Full Version : after comp im going to cut down....help

FeedingDaBeast
02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
im gaining weight at the moment for a comp this april, but afterwards i want to cut down weight to be the most competitive i can be. how do guys suggest i do this while staying on madcows 5x5 program? the programs is pretty squat heavy so i dont want to be running too much. any suggestions? or should i just not do cardio but just continue with program while cutting some cals?

mastermonster
02-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Try keeping the cardio to a minimum and monitor your carb intake for a while when you start coming down. I've found that at about 200 grams per day I can make slow steady fat lose and maintain or improve my strength. Providing I keep my protein at 280-300 gram a day and am training well. Much lower than 200 and I loose too fast and start loosing strength. Experiment and find your 'magic' number of carbs that works for you and be consistant. Good luck. P.S. my normal comfortable weight is about 275-280.

Travis Bell
02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Clean up your diet.

Play around with your cardio. Give whatever you do a couple weeks to see how it works, but some people will respond better to low intensity type cardio, others respond better to stuff like barbell complexes, prowler/GPP type work.

As Buddy said, watch your carbs.

ScottYard
02-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I did steady state cardio for a 6 weeks and lost 15 lbs. My Strength didnt drop either. i think some just respond diffrently to it. I just started doind tabatas. These are tough but I think they work. They are 4 minute intense sessions. basically 8 sets of 20 reps with 10 seconds rest in between.. typically a few exercises formed into one but done with moderate weight. I did 1 and my HR was 180.

Like Travis said. Find what works for you.

FeedingDaBeast
02-18-2010, 05:40 PM
i used to do hiit, but that was alot of running and it wore my legs out. i used to do 2 days of hiit a week, not sure how long i did it but i didnt cut cals or anything but i still lost 10lbs, bout a pound a week. GPP sounds good but do you actually lose weight from it? specifically GPP that PL'ers would do?

vdizenzo
02-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I competed the lightest I have in years and I hit 2 pr's. I did a lot of gpp stuff. Walking with a weight vest, tabata, prowler pushing, farmers walks, tire flips, jump rope, etc. I'm going to write an article or book one day titled "Just Get Your Fat Ass Up and Move."

A great starter plan for a diet is to only eat what you cook at home. Just make sure to only keep good foods in your house. I have gotten to the point where I will crave things like peanut butter sandwiches or flavored oatmeal, whereas I used to crave fast food. Some days I'll just sit at the table and pig out on things like organic soup, stone ground crackers, low fat cheese, tuna fish (with Helman's olive oil mayo-lower in fat), fruit salad with cottage cheese. I have never felt sick stuffing myself with healthy foods. When I stuff myself with crap I feel awful within half an hour.

FeedingDaBeast
02-19-2010, 07:51 PM
thanks for the replies ill let you guys know when i start and how i do in my comp.