PDA

View Full Version : How many?

FootballLifter
02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I am 5'9" 175 lbs. I need to weigh 205 by May 4th. Fat/muscle I don't care. I tried to eat clean and gained ten pounds, but the rest needs to come fast.

I read that my maintenance calories are 16 times my weight (approx.) and got 2800 calories.

How many should I eat to get to 205 by then. I am not asking what to eat, because it will just be whatever I find :)

I want to do a constant rate like pick a number and stay with it till May

I am thinking like 6000 calories. I did that yesterday (albeit I got mcdonalds and whatever else I wanted, but I plan to "dirty bulk", I dont care about fat)

So is 6000 a day till May good enough to hit 205? Or do I need more?

Thanks

Travis Bell
02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, yes that would certainly do the trick, however why do you HAVE to be 205?

As a football player, you're going to be better off being strong as well as quick, which a dirty bulk isn't really going to help you achieve unless you're training right.

Unless you're a college player going into spring training and trying out for a different position, I just have a difficult time understanding why you absolutely have to be 205

FootballLifter
02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
At the end of junior year I moved from fullback to guard. I need to gain weight for our pass blocking offense or else I wont start. I am strong enough for sure, but that weight helps when pass blocking.

But just looking at the numbers, 6000 a day would be enough to gain 30 in that short time?

Thanks.

muscleup
02-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I went from 177 to 205 in about 3 months averaging 4k/day. So your numbers are easily attainable imo.

FootballLifter
02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
awesome, thanks

Metal_Man
02-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Football lifter -- I have a good friend who played both fullback and guard in high school and he was not the biggest guy. I outweighed him at the time and when rushing against him he would give me all kinds of trouble because he had good technique and was hella strong for his size/weight.

Some extra weight seldomly hurts in pass blocking but I wouldn't worry as much about making a certain weight as I would about overall strength, agility, and technique.

I would much rather play alongside a smaller guy in superior shape that plays with more intensity and good form than a bigger guy who is out of breath after the first series...

Show your coaches that you have that intensity during practice and it will mean a lot to them... That being said, if you can gain a few pounds while proving to be faster, stronger, and more intense on the field then go for it!!!

Travis Bell
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
At the end of junior year I moved from fullback to guard. I need to gain weight for our pass blocking offense or else I wont start. I am strong enough for sure, but that weight helps when pass blocking.

But just looking at the numbers, 6000 a day would be enough to gain 30 in that short time?

Thanks.

Personally I'd shoot for 190. Just slamming on the weight like that isn't going to be your best bet.

Trust me, I work with a plethora of athletes every day. You won't start for long if you're too slow to run the pass block

vdizenzo
02-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I was a small guy that fought to get big to play the line in hs. I did it, but I was determined as heck. I wish I had the article then (click link below) it would have helped a lot. I don't agree with dirty bulks like I used to, but sometimes a person has to do what they want to do. Best of luck.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?78823-The-Big-Boy-s-Menu-Plan-by-J-M-Blakely