PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Deadlift w/ Video

accuFLEX
02-18-2010, 02:18 PM
I should note that I'm an oly lifter and don't dl that often. This was my first max attempt in about a year (did 495lbs).

I'm going to do a PL meet in June, so I need to brush up on my dl form.

YPha3uQnxpY

Chris Rodgers
02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
For your powerlifting meet will you be using a hook grip or over/under? Whichever it is you should probably be practicing that way. The over/under will change the mechanics of the lift vs. double OH. Also, I would bring your stance in a little and definitely bring your grip in tighter to your sides to reduce the ROM.

Lones Green
02-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I would try to arch more and get your butt down as well.

accuFLEX
02-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Grip wise I'll be going over under...even in oly lifting I don't find the hook grip really helps my ability to hold onto the bar, although I still do it haha

Anyone go over/under with straps in training?

Lones Green
02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Most of us don't use straps too often in training, the grip work you get from not using them is huge.

Sean S
02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Your stance and grip look way too wide for someone your size, so bring them in. As was also mentioned, I would try and drop the hips some as well. If you're not used to holding the bar with a mixed grip or without straps, you should start training the same way you will lift in the meet. That way you will discover quickly if your grip is going to be an issue and you still have some time before June to address/correct it if needed.

accuFLEX
02-19-2010, 01:04 PM
How close should my grip be? Shoulder width?

-JM-
02-19-2010, 02:13 PM
How close should my grip be? Shoulder width?

Try just going wide enough to clear your thighs.

Notorious
02-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I agree on narrowing your stance and grip, but given the stance you used it looked just about perfect.

themavinator
02-19-2010, 07:45 PM
yeah you can bring your stance in even closer than shoulder width if you want but the important thing is that your grip is right outside your stance with no gap in between your grip and the outside of your legs. Like was said try to push your hips down hard when your breaking the weight off the floor and don't let them come up first like they did here. Also you can round your shoulders down when your pulling as long as you keep your low back arched, i noticed that you start with your shoulders back and as your pulling they come foward and down naturally so just start with them rounded down. this will shorten the pull as well.

Hazerboy
02-19-2010, 09:14 PM
What everyone else said is spot on. Just make sure you TRAIN in whatever your new technique is awhile before you pull a max with it. Even the small changes in technique that guys have brought up will make big differences when compounded by leverage and hundreds of pounds - you'll probably be using some small muscles that you haven't used as much, so their apt for injuyry. I wrecked my back this way pulling 530 then 550 with a narrower stance than i've ever used before about a year ago.

That being said, I think you're good for a lot more weight. Especially if you get this OLY shoes off and grab some chucks XD

CleverName
02-20-2010, 03:03 AM
I'd recommend going to flat shoes rather than weightlifting shoes, especially considering you don't do olympic lifts. Weightlifting shoes are great for squatting and oly lifts and other things, but for regular deadlifts I'd recommend flat shoes.

Notorious
02-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd recommend going to flat shoes rather than weightlifting shoes, especially considering you don't do olympic lifts. Weightlifting shoes are great for squatting and oly lifts and other things, but for regular deadlifts I'd recommend flat shoes.

He does do olympic lifts.

You might want to try flat shoes, like everyone else said, but I don't think you really have to. You might even be stronger with oly shoes, considering you're so used to pulling in them. I know I am.

Rugby Dad
02-20-2010, 08:07 PM
OP, 485 is damn good esp considering you look pretty small, must be your oly training.
your oly background shows, like others said your stance and hand placement looks much too wide,
also looks like the bar is moving forward away from you a bit.
for deads you want to ride that bar up your shins, sliding up your shins. you may want to lift in long sweats here on out, or long tube socks.

abbcccxyyzzz
03-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Looks like you could bring the bar closer to your body... there appears to be a gap between the bar and your shins. Experiment with a narrower stance and foot positions. Dont spend so much time hanging around at the bottom, bent down and grab the bar. Re straighten your legs, and bend your knees and pull.