PDA

View Full Version : HCT-12 Test Group Journal - Dodgerblue's Journal

dodgerblue
02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
1) Current calorie intake and protein intake. If you don't know, don't answer.

I won't answer this because I have never really monitored my calorie intake to truly give an accurate description.

2) Do you have any current injuries going into this? We are unable to diagnose or treat, so basically anything that'll prevent you performing certain exercises..

Nope, no injuries. Stopped playing sports to prevent that from happening and focus on in gym training, lol.

3) The program will for the most part be performed using basic barbell and dumb-bell exercises - is your exercise selection limited i.e. poorly equipped home gym etc?

I am a member of a 24 hr fitness so they have most of the equipment other similar gyms have.

4) How many days training can you commit to? And what days are they?

I can commit to 3.5 days a week of lifting. Some weeks 3, others 4. The days vary based on my work schedule but I haven't gone below 3 days in one week since September.

If you do feel comfortable posting your pics, do that too as it will just make things easier for the mentors, but it's not essential.

Once you've done this, your mentor will jump in and get into the details of helping you get square on your training and diet.

PS. Some background from my app.

Weight: 163 lbs @ 5'9"

Training Experience: Have weight trained for about 4 years. Consistently for about the first 3, then 7 months on and off, and finally the last 4 months consistently again. 6 years ago I weighed 126 pounds at a body fat even higher than today, I then went to college and gained about 30 pounds of lard in 2 years. Then I realized it was time to lose weight and ran until I was again 125 pounds. Then I knew I needed to gain weight the right way, through hard work and good nutrition I made it to 147 pounds at a low body fat in approximately 2 years. I always struggled with gaining lean mass but have been able to do it with reasonable success due to dedication and researching effective methods. With a lot of work I made my way into the 160's. My program usually consists of a 3 or 4 day split body part weight training routine and 2 or 3 day interval training for cardio, except when seriously trying to bulk.

Short Term training goals: Immediate short term goal is to gain about 12-15 lbs in a bulk, after that I would then like to cut down to a lower body fat but at a weight at least 7 pounds heavier than my current stats. Also I would like to increase my strength, especially in my bench press and dead lift.

Personal bests: In recent form my bests are approximately 185 for 5 reps on bench, 225 for 5 reps on dead lift, and 245 for 5 reps on squats.

PPS. Since then I am glad to note that I have gained another 6 pounds and now weigh 169 pounds. My goal end weight is as far up as I can reasonably go.

I tried to add some pictures but it said the file size was too large when they're all smaller than .5 mb.

xtian
02-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Hey bro!! I'm not too far from you and also have a 24hr membership. Would be awesome to train together!

Tom Mutaffis
02-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Dodgerblue,

Great job on your progress so far.

I will be your 'mentor' for this program and have a lot of experience in working with trainees who are looking to put on size.

Have you decided which program you would like to follow?

Program 1 – 3 days is easy to schedule into anyone’s lifestyle (at least if you’re serious about putting on muscle).

Program 2 – A fourth day, and each bodypart is trained 2x per week. If you can handle the additional frequency (and only you can tell that) and fit in the extra day, then this is for you.

Program 3 – This splits the bodyparts down further, giving you less to do each session, but allowing you to focus more on each exercise. The frequency is roughly the same as Program 1. If you can fit this into your schedule and prefer spending less time in the gym per session then this is for you.

I would say that program one or two would likely work best for you based on your schedule; and since you do a lot of BW circuits right now you would probably be fine with the frequency of either program.

Please let me know if there is anything specific that I can help you with at this point.

dodgerblue
02-21-2010, 10:32 PM
xtian- It would be cool to train together but my schedule is so inconsistent that I have a tough time working with a partner.

About the program. I've decided I want to do program two and go lift 4 days a week. I will not be doing any intense cardio but I walk my dogs a couple of miles (I've never considered it cardio because of the slow pace but it is a sort of exercise) about 4 times a week.

I am currently somewhere right about 170 pounds but am going to shoot to consume about 180 grams of protein daily. I would like some advice on the best way to measure my diet and have a more accurate count of what I'm eating. People tell me I don't eat enough so I don't gain weight, while I know that has to be one of the reasons I also am not willing to eat just anything to gain weight. So an idea of the types of foods (and serving sizes) that I should take would be nice.

Tom Mutaffis
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
xtian- It would be cool to train together but my schedule is so inconsistent that I have a tough time working with a partner.

About the program. I've decided I want to do program two and go lift 4 days a week. I will not be doing any intense cardio but I walk my dogs a couple of miles (I've never considered it cardio because of the slow pace but it is a sort of exercise) about 4 times a week.

I am currently somewhere right about 170 pounds but am going to shoot to consume about 180 grams of protein daily. I would like some advice on the best way to measure my diet and have a more accurate count of what I'm eating. People tell me I don't eat enough so I don't gain weight, while I know that has to be one of the reasons I also am not willing to eat just anything to gain weight. So an idea of the types of foods (and serving sizes) that I should take would be nice.

Program two should work well for you. I would not worry about the cardiovascular training since you will be following the four day split and will be burning a lot of calories with your weight training.

In terms of tracking your diet there are a few options. One easy option would be to post it here in your training journal and just keep a food log along with your training. If you want something more specific you can look at sites like Fitday which will tell your specific calories, carbohydrates, protein, and ratios.

Foods that can help you to gain weight are calorie dense foods such as lean beef, natural peanut butter, and homemade 'gainer' shakes (lean protein powder with heavy cream or olive oil). If you want to write up what your diet looks like on a typical day I can run through it with you to see if there are any simple ways to increase calorie/protein intake.

dodgerblue
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
So I've been super busy and not really able post as many times per week as I would like to. But I've prioritized it so that I've been very good and disciplined and gotten to the gym and eaten well. I somehow lost a pound over the last week so I am now tweaking my diet by throwing in a couple of hard boiled eggs extra every day. It's hard to monitor my actual calorie intake because I don't have a lot of time to do so, but I make sure that I'm consuming more if it is necessary.

CURRENT WEIGHT: 168
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 169
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: N/A. as soon as I can track a day on fitday I will.
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: Training is great, I feel great during and after my workout.
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: The first time around I had to do a lot more reps to find that perfect weight to get the 6 reps, but I'm strting to find it better and am working really hard. Trained the four days as planned at a very good intensity. I'm excited at what's to come.

Tom Mutaffis
03-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Dodger -

Would you be able to post up some of your workouts so that we have an idea of your strength levels?

Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with for this program.

dodgerblue
03-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Dodger -

Would you be able to post up some of your workouts so that we have an idea of your strength levels?

Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with for this program.

I will post up some numbers from the second set of this weeks workouts on Sunday after I do my last session, and do that weekly update.

dodgerblue
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 171
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 168
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: N/A. as soon as I can track a day on fitday I will.
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: I feel like I'm building strength and so far the program feels great.
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: This second week felt even better than the first, not missing any days.

Here are my last two workouts;

(Friday)
Pull downs 135 x 10, 150 x 6, 165 x 6, 165 x 6,2,2,2
One Arms kneeling DB rows 60 x 10, 100 x 6, 100 x 6,2,2,2
Flat BB Bench Press 135 x 10, 185 x 6, 185 x 6,2,2,2
Standing BB press 70 x 10, 90 x 2,2,1.5
Cable Triceps Pull down 70 x 6, 80 x 6, 85 x 6,2,2,2

(Sunday)
Squats 45 x 10, 135 x 10, 185 x 6, 225 x 6, 245 x 6,2,2,2
Dead-lifts 185 x 6, 225 x 6, 245 x 6,2,2,2
Calf Press 200 x 12, 400 x 6, 400 x 6,2,2,2
BB curls 60 x 10, 95 x 6, 95 x 6,2,2,2
Cable crunch 60 x 10, 75 x 6, 75 x 6,2,2,2

Joe Black
03-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Thats a very good weight increase, good job.

You probably know this, but if you truly want to consistently gain weight over the next 10 weeks, you really need to start tracking those calories properly. FitDay can be a bit of a pain in the ass when you start using it but after a week or so it becomes second nature and very quick to plan your day and as you know, you have to be eating at a certain level consistently to slowly gain weight over the next 10 weeks and it's virtually impossible to do that by trying to guess your way through the eating element of the program.

Do you reckon you can start using fitday this week and post daily numbers? Also make your fitday journal public and post the actual link and we can then see your numbers and food choices and give advice from there.

Good results so far, keep up the hard work and with a little more regular updating of the journal and also some tighter management of what you eat, you're going to do GREAT!

Tom Mutaffis
03-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Dodger -

As Daniel said it looks like you are making some great progress.

Please let me know if there is anything that we can help you with and keep up the good work. The next few weeks are where you should really start to see results assuming that you continue to push the training intensity and stay disciplined with your diet.

dodgerblue
03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 173
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 171
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: N/A. as soon as I can track a day on fitday I will. I've made an effort to increase my calories with the most nutritional food possible but it's been difficult because of time limitations for preparation.
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: I feel like the strength gains continue to build and feel stronger every workout.
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: No deviations from the plan. Unfortunately my dad was very ill the last couple of weeks and was hospitalized adding to my hectic work schedule. That led for me to not have much time to update (still really busy) but I have used my time wisely and have continued to follow through with the plan. The last couple of weeks have not been conducive to eating as much as I would like to but I feel like I'll be able to step it up now that my dad is well and there is a little bit more stability with my family (had to look after my younger bros while my mom stayed with my dad in the hospital). I will post my most recent workouts soon (hopefully tomorrow) and then continue with my week which is the reload week (going into it).

Joe Black
03-24-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm glad your Dad is going better mate.

It's great to hear your strength and weight is going up nicely and look forward to the more ferequent updates!

dodgerblue
04-12-2010, 12:11 AM
CURRENT WEIGHT:174
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 173
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING:My strength gains have been great and continue to improve. This week I was able to bench 225 5 times, which had been more than my 1rep max before the program began, honestly. It gets harder and harder to gain weight because my body counters every calorie increase with more frequent and massive ****s, it seems like I was made to digest and dump all my food. Regardless I am ecstatic with the amount of weight I've gained since the first week (11 pounds, mostly muscle) and even more happy about the strength gains.
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: I've been very consistent with my diet and have not missed a single day of working out. My schedule has been a bitch and has not allowed me to update, but be assured I am keeping very dedicated and even if I don't have regular updates my before and after and the updates I can contribute will reflect my effort.

(Friday)
Pull downs 135 x6, 165 x 6, 210 x 6,2,1.5,1.5
One Arms kneeling DB rows 80 x 6, 100 x 8,2,2,2 (105 db's have a wider grip which I can't do more than 3 reps with)
Flat BB Bench Press 185 x 6, 225 x 5,2,2,1
Standing BB press 100 x 6, 110 x 6,2,2,1.5
Cable Triceps Pull down 90 x 6, 100 x 5,2,2,2

(Sunday)
Squats 135 x 6, 205 x 6, 255 x 6, 285 x 6,2,2,2
Dead-lifts 195 x 6, 265 x 6,2,2,2
Calf Press 435 x 6, 450 x 6,2,2,2
BB curls 75 x 6, 110 x 6,2,2,1
Cable crunch 75 x 6, 90 x 6,2,2,2

Tom Mutaffis
04-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Nice work on gaining 11 lbs so far, are you still packing on size?

How have your recent workouts been?

dodgerblue
05-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Nice work on gaining 11 lbs so far, are you still packing on size?

How have your recent workouts been?

CURRENT WEIGHT: 176
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT: 173
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: N/A.
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: The training is going great, I have felt between good and great in every session. I think I've had one bad session, which was last Saturday but it was due to the fact that I didn't get enough sleep and am not a morning person, but was forced to work out early.
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: At first I thought I might be alternating between 3 and 4 times a week depending on my time, but I've done 4 sessions every week and stuck to the plan very closely. My problem seems to be a mixture of diet and metabolism, it's like the more I eat the more I ****. I also had some kind of stomach illness last Thursday that kept me home from work and the gym and made me lose a couple of pounds. But, my strength gains have been great, and I am very, very pleased with them.

(Friday)
Pull downs 135 x 10, 165 x 6, 165 x 6, 210 x 6,2,2,2
One Arms kneeling DB rows 85 x 6, 100 x 6, 100 x 6,2,2,2
Flat BB Bench Press 185 x 6, 225 x 6,225 x 4,2,2,2
Standing BB press 95 x 6, 110 x 6,2,2,2
Cable Triceps Pull down 90 x 6, 90 x 6, 90 x 6,2,2,2

(Sunday)
Squats 45 x 10, 135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 7,2,2,2
Dead-lifts 185 x 6, 225 x 6, 265 x 6,2,2,2
Calf Press 470 x 6, 490 x 6,2,2,3
BB curls 85 x 6, 95 x 6, 100 x 5,2,2,2
Cable crunch 80 x 10, 90 x 6, 95 x 6,2,2,2

dodgerblue
05-16-2010, 07:33 PM
CURRENT WEIGHT: 178
LAST WEEK'S WEIGHT:
CURRENT AVERAGE CALORIES, PROTEIN, CARB & FAT: I have been unable to track it.
HOW TRAINING / STRENGTH GAINS ARE GOING: Strength gains were consistent throughout the program and I was very impressed with the amount of weight increases I saw in my lifts.
ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE PLAN THIS PAST WEEK: i really did follow the lifting almost perfectly. I probably missed one workout the whole time, and that was a deload week and i kind of made up for it by extending my last workout of the week. So I pretty much did 11 weeks of 4 days a week and one deload week where i lifted 3 days. I also limited my cardio to only the dog walking which i do 4-5 days a week (about two miles, at a low intensity).

(Friday) 5/14
Pull downs 135 x 10, 180 x 6, 210 x 6,2,2,2
One Arms kneeling DB rows 85 x 6, 100 x 6, 100 x 9,2,2,2 (Can't grip the 105's well enough to do 6)
Flat BB Bench Press 135 x 10, 185 x 6, 225 x 6,2, (205) 2,2
Standing BB press 95 x 6, 110 x 6,2,2,1.5
Cable Triceps Pull down 70 x 6, 80 x 6, 100 x 6,2,2,2

(Sunday)
Squats135 x 10, 225 x 6, 225 x 6, 335 x 6,2,2,2, 225 x 6
Dead-lifts 205 x 6, 275 x 6,2,2,1
Calf Press 490 x 6, 505 x 6,2,2,2
BB curls 85 x 6, 105 x 6, 115 x 5,2,2,1
Cable crunch 75 x 6, 85 x 6,2,2,2

dodgerblue
05-16-2010, 07:50 PM
My weight went from 169 on February 22nd to 178 on May 16th, So during the 12 week program I gained a grand total of 9 lbs, and my body fat is pretty much the exact same, maybe a percentage point higher.

My 6 rep mex increased in all areas.

Wide grip pulldowns went from 165 to 210, gain of 45 lbs.
One arm DB Rows went from 90 to 100 (9 times), 10 lbs but limited by my inability to grip the 105 and bigger dumbbells.
Flat bb bench press went from 185 to 225 (this was my most impressive gain, because I used to kill myself to do 185 5 times at the start and 225 was my 1rmax at my strongest before this program)
Standing BB press went from 90 to 110 lbs,
Cable triceps extension went from 70 to 100 (using the outside pulley on the huge machine at my gym, for some reason it's a lot more difficult)

back Squat went from 245 to 335
deadlifts went from 225 to 275, this one i was made less gains on but I made sure to have very good form.
Calf press on the sled went from 350 to 505,
Barbell curls went from 85 to 115.
cable crunch went from 70 to 85, but i used a couple of different machines for this one. People use up the ab machines and i dont like to wait on the same ones every time.

dodgerblue
05-16-2010, 09:00 PM
http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/adrsan1984/12%20week%20program%20progress/

I'm sharing these pictures just so people can get an idea of my physique. The change probably doesn't look too impressive given the poor photography and the fact that my body fat increased a little bit. It's kind of difficult to see the difference those 9 pounds have on my frame but it has definitely been very noticeable, a lot of people have pointed it out to me and complimented me on it. For me the most important part was to gain mass and to get stronger, and I did both. I worked as hard as I could in the gym but my diet probably wasn't up to the same level, otherwise I would have gotten even more gains. It was just difficult with work and with the fact that my dad went through a severe sickness during this time. It made it a lot harder on me to eat as much as I would like to. In terms of the types of foods I ate, I did a good job, it's just the quantity that I need to work on. I've come along way from weighing 125 in high school, to 147 at 1 point in college, to 153 in terrible shape last august, to the point where I am now, 178 and not with a decent bodyfat, and this program definitely gave me a huge boost. I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone trying to gain some bulk.

Daniel Roberts
05-17-2010, 02:43 AM
That is an awesome write up, thanks for doing it and congratulations on the progress - some of the improvements on your lifts are tremendous and your flexed back pic really shows off what you've gained.