PDA

View Full Version : Good ways to take care of elbow problems?

Mugen46
02-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm having some elbow tendonitis and its been there off and on for a while now. I heard hammer curls can cause that so I stopped doing them. Are there any exercises that can help this feel better or is rest the only way to fix this?

Butcher
02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I had elbow problems for a while, maybe it was tendonitis, maybe not. I never went to the doctors over it. My main source of aggravation with my elbows was from straight bar squatting. Heres a list of what I did.

Stayed away from squatting with a barbell
Super set very light hammer curls and tricep extensions as a warmup
Elbow sleeves and liniment, it didnt matter if I was training lower or upper body
Ice elbows after most every training session (wasnt always possible)
And to top it all off, when I started squatting with a barbell I eased back into and made sure to take a wider grip than I had been taking

I could bench with minimal issues, but if I aggravated them by squatting with a barbell it put me out of action for a bit. Hopefully you can take something from this.

Travis Bell
02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Only thing I'll add to Butcher's list is sometimes a dose of anti inflamatories is needed to help keep things down.

Ice should be the main focus though. Most people are too busy or just lazy to take the time to wrap their elbows with some ice post training, but it's really beneficial.

Metal_Man
02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
The last time I had elbow pain I took a couple weeks off after my doctor suggested that I do so. In addition to the time off, I used a heating pad on it at night and that seemed to help loosen it up a lot.

robchris
02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Ice ice baby... Best thing going and its free! Get a gel pack and you're all set. Try to identify the exercises that are aggravating your elbows and sub them w/ another exercise that dosent bother them.

Ice the elbows at about 20-mins at a clip, esp. after bench/ tricep training. Also, as mentioned above, Ibuprofen is your friend! I take (2) after a heavy session. One more thing to consider regarding supplements, I've had great results w/ glucosamine... Really helped w/ joint pain in general.
Good luck,
RC

Notorious
02-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Check out your squat form. That is probably the biggest causer of elbow problems, though it doesn't have to be in your case.

You could be holding the bar too narrow or too wide, holding the bar with bent wrists, holding the bar too low, supporting some of the weight with your arms, etc.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
02-23-2010, 07:11 AM
1. Ice you elbow/tricep region after every heavy bench press workout.
2. Use anti-inflammatory ointment before and immediately after your workout.
3. Active Release Technique.
4. Cut back on the workout load
5. Joint Supplement

vdizenzo
02-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Lots of light tricep work through a full range of motion. Rolling dumbell tricep extensions definitely helped me a lot. It gave a good stretch and pumped in lots of blood to the area. Then like everyone says "Ice, Ice Baby." Most people will not take the time to ice and it is the best remedy hands down. I like to add compression when I'm icing. I usually wrap ice on with an ace bandage or plastic wrap.

AdamBAG
02-23-2010, 08:28 AM
I've never heard that curls are bad for the elbows, but I can see that if you do them too heavy. I actually think you need to do some bicep work occassionally just to keep things balanced. I usually do 2-3 sets of 10 once a week. Moderate weight, not really pushing it, just doing it.

I had some elbow pain before I started squatting with a "thum over" grip. That alleviated a lot of the elbox pain. Stretching your shoulders can help too if squats are the issue.

Also, if your shirt is really tight you can have compression on the elbow that is painful. I had this and it was almost unbearable until I cut the bottom seam off my rage-x. Hasn't been a problem since then.

douglasoh5
02-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Im with adam. actually adding curls back into my scheme helped my elbows.

huskybear
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Check out this article...

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/hammer_curl.htm

I added the light STRAIGHT bar curls and continue to roll my arms religiously along with the stuff already mentioned and I'm on the mend... Though I admit I don't ice, that is about to change and see if that pushes me into final recovery

Tom Mutaffis
02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm having some elbow tendonitis and its been there off and on for a while now. I heard hammer curls can cause that so I stopped doing them. Are there any exercises that can help this feel better or is rest the only way to fix this?

There are a few things that you can do to help your elbows:
- Ice
- Light, full range of motion pumping movements (bands)
- Proper Warmup
- Increase biceps/triceps/forearm flexibility (stretching)
- Neoprene sleeve
- Rest
- Modified exercise selection

In general I have always found that my joints feel better when I am getting enough sleep and also am well hydrated. It is important to have enough fat in your diet and many people have had success with Fish Oil for joint pain (although I know tendonitis is a bit different). Make sure that you are getting enough calories/protein/rest along with the items mentioned above.

Hope this helps!

ScottYard
02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Dumbell Hex HOlds. 25's for 3 sets of 30 seconds. Took my elbow pains away in 3 weeks and never came back. I still do them atleats once a week though.

lil' power
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Has anyone tried ultrasound for elbow tendinitis?

AdamBAG
02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Has anyone tried ultrasound for elbow tendinitis?

I have not for powerlifting, but in college, many of my teammates on the football team used ultrasound for tendonitis. Usually on knees, achilles etc. However, I don't know how well it worked or if it is available to most people. If I had it available then I'd give it a shot!

SELK
02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Try squatting with the bar in a higher position, 1 day of low bar squats and I can hardly move my arms the next day.

also less full ROM work on the bench when it gets really bad, even a 1-2 board takes a ton of stress off.

ice after training, use blue heat and elbow sleeves when training.