PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this carb/cal cycle diet

greemah
02-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Ignore the routine but take a look at the diet, what do yall think? Interesting concept I might give it a try

http://www.weight-lifting-workout-routines.com/weight-lifting-routine-6.html

greemah
02-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Reading the concepts that diet has, and knowing that most muscle is built during the 48 hours after working out, I've come up with a diet that sounds like it would work better:

My maintenance calories is 2200-2300 a day, and I've been slow bulking on about 2500-2600 a day lately. Say I work out 2 days a week and eat a diet like this:

Mon (workout) - 1800cal (low cal fat burning whole day, most food being after workout for recovery)
Tue - 2700cal (high cal recovery all day)
Wed - 2700cal (high cal recovery all day, ending early evening to start the tomorrows low cal fat burning)
Thur (workout) - 1800cal (low cal fat burning whole day, most food being after workout for recovery)
Fri - 2700cal (high cal recovery all day)
Sat - 2700cal (high cal recovery all day, ending early evening to start tomorrows low cal fat burning)
Sun - 1800cal (low cal over whole day for fat burning)

So on my workout days I eat low cal, and even then having most of that days food post workout. I eat bulking level calories for the 2 days after the workouts (ending eary on the 2nd day after a workout), and also low cal on Sundays.

Do you think this could work in an attempt to gain pure muscle for a while and maybe even drop body fat?

Holto
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
It's a bit of a leap to assume you're burning fat on the low days. The general recommendation here is to look at total calories over no less than one week intervals.

During a bulk, glycogen stores are rammed. One day of low cals is more likely to deplete gylcogen then to burn fat.

That said, you look like you have your act together, how has the slow bulk been going?

greemah
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Slow bulk hasn't worked as planned so far. It's only been 6 weeks and I'm easily gaining muscle but there's been a decent amount of fat gain also. And this is from no more than 300cal a day over maintenance. The fat gain is so noticible which is why I am looking into these cycling diets to see if I can loose some (have a holiday in 5 weeks and will be swimming a lot).

How long do you think you would need to be on low calories before your body will burn fat? Maybe I could look at having the 2nd day after lifting a low cal day also, though that may interfere with muscle growth. This diet ends up being roughly the same as maintenance calories weekly, I just thought it may be able to build muscle due to very high calories for 48 hours after lifting, and low calories all other times (about 2.5 days)

JSully
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
IMO, to achieve what you want, you would have be in a constant deficit while refeeding once or twice a week..

glycogen stores need to be low to burn fat.. by keeping those stores low, then using a 24hour carbup to fill them up you could achieve muscle growth via anabolic rebound while still keeping the calories low on other days..

my suggestion, eat approx 500calories UNDER maintenance, then (assuming you workout in the PM) start your carbup post-workout and put your calories approx 1k above maintenance for the 24hours following, with the majority coming from carbs.. that should provide a nice recomp.. in the long run (say a week) you would probably be at or slightly above your maintenance calories, however, for 5 days out of the week you will be under your maintenance calories.

i eat at maintenance daily with approx 30g carbs, 200g fat and 270g protein.. roughly 3000calories. on wednesdays I utilize a mini-carbup of which I eat about 3800-4000cals that day, with about 1000calories from carbs.. on saturdays, I take in approx 5000-6000cals, majority carbs with high fat and low protein.. this puts me at about 3400 calories/day average.. I've dropped 10lbs in the last 6 weeks, my strength is climbing and I'm leaning out nicely while my average daily intake is 400calories over my maintenance, however, I'm really eating AT maintenance 5 days a week.. see where I'm going here?

you have a good general plan, but you need to focus a bit more on macros and keep a lower calorie intake with frequent refeeds, in my opinion..

don't forget to keep your fats high if your carbs are low..

greemah
02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I see what your saying. I have set this up:

Mon (workout) - 2000 cal
Tue - 3000 cal
Wed - 2000 cal
Thur (workout) - 2000 cal
Fri - 3000 cal
Sat - 2000 cal
Sun - 2000 cal

But the 2 days with 3000 cals actually kind of start post workout the day before and finish earlier in the evening on the 3000cal day.

Carb wise I'm doing 50carbs on 2000 cal days (except sunday which is more like 100), and about 250 on 3000 cal days. Protein is 1g per lb of bodyweight, and healthy fats fill in the rest.

This what you are meaning?

JSully
02-25-2010, 08:12 AM
that would work well.. keep an eye on your composition and strength.. if you're strength is falling or you're looking less lean a day or 2 after your refeed, up the carbs on the refeed days..

greemah
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks JSully, will give this a try