PDA

View Full Version : Griever's Online Journal

Griever14206
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Well before I get this started, I just wanna introduce myself. My name is Kyle, I live in Buffalo NY, and I am a 21 year old sports management major at Medaille College. I am 6' even and weight 182 lbs. I play electric guitar and am into hardcore/metalcore music with hopes of one day being in a band.

The routine I've been running since about christmas time is a modified version of WBB 1.1 (at least I think it is, it might be WBB 2). I say modified because I go to the gym in my small private college and it didn't have everything I needed. If you think my workout lacks something, please feel free to chime in. I'll give my own thoughts on it later.

As far as my diet goes, I rarely have time to cook, so a lot of my calorie/protein intake is approximated, so I won't really give a detailed breakdown of that. The only time I can cook for myself is at work and commercial food packaging lacks nutrition facts. I try to stay between 2500-3000 calories and aim for my body weight (182 right now) in grams of protein.

Anyways on to todays routine:

Bench Press: 3x110x6 (my chest sucks, easily my worst area)
Cable Pull Downs: 1x9x7, 2x8x8 (tried to up the weight, failed to finish last rep so I dropped it back)
Military Press: 3x70x8
Dips: 15, 12, 10
Standing Bicep Curl: 3x30x10
Core Machine: 8x33, 8x23, 7x26

Anything that is cable/resistance oriented (like the Pull Downs) will use a number from 1-20, with 1 being the lightest and 20 being the heaviest. So 2x8x8 is two sets on setting 8 with 8 reps. I imagine each number stands for 10 lbs of resistance, but I'm not sure.

Also for simplicity's sake I count most bars as 10 lbs and small ones as 5 lbs. I've realized now it's more like 20 and 10, but in order to keep my records consistent I've decided to roll with it. It's more important to me that I'm making progress and I don't really care how high the weight is.

The Core Machine as I call is it basically a cable resistance that has a band attached to it. You sit down on a seat attached to the machine and that bar runs across your chest. Then you basically do a situp like motion (except you're sitting upright and then moving your chest towards the floor) and it adds resistance to the bar.

My current practice with ALL reps to failure exercises is to increase the rep from each set by 1. So ideally next Tuesday I'll do 8x34, 8x24, 7x27 on the Core Machine. I'll occasionally fail to complete this (especially with dips/chins) but that's the goal. I also have timed exercises for planks and side planks. For that, I try to up the time by 2 seconds each workout.

As for supplements, my protein shake consists of two cups of 2% milk mixed with two scoops of chocolate Nitrean. I am also taking the creatine caps from ALN as well.

I found over time I shorten/change the names slightly on the different exercises, so if you don't understand something please let me know. I'm also going to keep track of two things for myself and for you guys as well. First thing I will do is have a "song of the day". This will be a song I went out of my way to listen to more than once during my workout. I will also keep track of the number of times a female does a double-take towards me when they walk by a gym. Before today that number was less than 0 :D so I've certainly got room for improvement.

Song of the Day: "Diamonds Aren't Forever" Bring Me The Horizon

Just a note on this, I listen to metal/hardcore almost exclusively, which features heavy music and screamed vocals. If you are not into the kind of music (it's quite polarizing) then I would not recommend looking the song up to listen to. Bring Me The Horizon isn't normally my type of band, but I like the first 45 seconds of this song, really gets me pumped up.

# of females who do a double-take: 1 :D

This brings the all time total count to........1.

Thanks for looking, I'll try and get some pictures up tonight to give everybody an idea of where I am and how I'm progressing.

Griever14206
02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Just a little placeholder for today's workout. For some reason I can't seem to find my notebook that I keep all of my training logs in.

Liftersize
02-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Bring Me The Horizon is sick check out my deadlift vid in my journal i used one of their songs. I switch between them and raised fist for squats and dls

Griever14206
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
You weigh less than me, are an inch taller and you put out those numbers? Wow that is incredibly impressive. You must have almost no bodyfat or were born to lift weights!

A question about your deadlift. I see you don't use any gloves and you can lift that so easily. I'm currently doing 170lbsx6 reps and it absolutely destroys my hands without really working my legs/lower back. Is there a specific bar/grip method you use?

Liftersize
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I used a mixed grip ( for me that is left hand under(palm facing away) and right hand over(palm facing toward me) and then i use chalk. I also do grip work because i have little baby hands that are no good for lifting.

Other than that i just use a normal bar and my bf is probably 12-14% not very low. Make sure you grip the bar with your fingers though and not your palms, that will help keep your callouses from getting ripped up.

Griever14206
02-26-2010, 10:08 AM
@Liftersize: Hmm maybe I'll try that grip out. Right now I have both palms facing towards me. I don't have any chalk available, that would probably help. I think the issue may be I tend to try and lift the bar with my palms and not my fingers.

Anyways, here's yesterdays workout that I lost for a while:

2/25/2010 "Thursday"
Deadlift 3x170x6
Step-Ups 3x90x8 (that is 8 reps for each leg each set. 90 stands for 45lb in each hand)
Seated Calf 3x16x10 (this is on a machine similar to a leg press)
Incline Situps 12;8;6 (I've started to hold a 15lb ball behind my head when I do these, I was getting WAY too high in reps without resistance, took forever)
Side Planks 1:15;1:01;54 (time is each side, 3 sets)
Chest Press 3x12x10 (on a machine, got a little bored and worked on a weak spot)

I was thinking of dropping the weight on the deadlift and increasing the reps to 10. As of right now I struggle holding the bar in my hands and it doesen't really work out my legs/lower back like it should. Perhaps a better grip will remedy the situation. And now for today's:

2/26/2010 "Friday"
Chin-Ups 13;9;9 (bodyweight only)
Wide Row 3x12x10
Ball Push Ups 15;11;7
Scaption 3x35x10
Skull Crushers 3x30x10
Leg Raises 28;23;22

Song of the day today was Frosbite by Parkway Drive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXoyC2-6MzQ

Number of female double-takes: 1 (2) :D