PDA

View Full Version : 531/Westside Splice Bench Critique

-JM-
02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
*I understand that this may be moved to the pic and vids forum. It's just that there doesn't seem to have been much traffic there recently*

About 8 weeks ago I was having big problems with my benching. I was just finishing my 14th cycle of 531 and my bench had not only stopped but was beginning to slide backwards. Eight weeks ago, 275 on bench nearly buried me. Squatting and Deadlifting continued to progress at a steady rate. Long story short, I subbed my military day for a Westside style DE Bench day involving speed work, board work and high rep DB pressing. It seems to have done the trick. I think the biggest factor has been the speed bench and deep high rep DB pressing.

Today I managed 308x1. I am sure the strength is there, but if anyone can take this apart for me and highlight the major issues and what I need to address first of all, I would really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME9dugCdDlE

KoSh
02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, I'm extremely disappointed in you.

The music sucks.

As far as the bench, it looks like you have a good arch.

Your sticking point seems to be somewhere in the middle, maybe do rack lockouts from just below that point after your speed bench?

drew
02-25-2010, 08:08 AM
1. You're not tight enough. You spend barely any time getting set on the bench. You should think about bringing your feet out in front of you because you get absolutely nothing out of your legs with that set up.

2. You need to get your hips up for the whole lift. Look at :14 to :15 in the video and you'll see that your whole body pops up a good inch or two when you go to press. This is where you should be from before you take the bar until you put it back in the racks.

3. Get your wrists straight. As soon as you take the bar your wrists cock all the way back. This puts you in a terrible position to press from and eventually you will drop weight on your face or break your arm, especially if you ever get into a shirt. Wrap your wrists high and tight and keep them straight.

4. If you can't get side spots, your back spotter should have his hands close to the bar, especially for a max attempt. If you drop that weight, there's nothing he can do to stop it from injuring you.

Brian C
02-25-2010, 10:54 AM
1. 2. You need to get your hips up for the whole lift. Look at :14 to :15 in the video and you'll see that your whole body pops up a good inch or two when you go to press. This is where you should be from before you take the bar until you put it back in the racks. .

To help get tighter here,once you get into position, squeeze the bench with your knees. This will force your belly up and keep you in a tighter position.

tnathletics2b
02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
1. You're not tight enough. You spend barely any time getting set on the bench. You should think about bringing your feet out in front of you because you get absolutely nothing out of your legs with that set up.

2. You need to get your hips up for the whole lift. Look at :14 to :15 in the video and you'll see that your whole body pops up a good inch or two when you go to press. This is where you should be from before you take the bar until you put it back in the racks.

3. Get your wrists straight. As soon as you take the bar your wrists cock all the way back. This puts you in a terrible position to press from and eventually you will drop weight on your face or break your arm, especially if you ever get into a shirt. Wrap your wrists high and tight and keep them straight.

4. If you can't get side spots, your back spotter should have his hands close to the bar, especially for a max attempt. If you drop that weight, there's nothing he can do to stop it from injuring you.

Thanks for these pointers...I am going to apply them to my bench as well!

Jonah
02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

:confused:

drew
02-25-2010, 12:18 PM
:confused:

Shut up Josh.

Just because I can't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

-JM-
02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Your sticking point seems to be somewhere in the middle, maybe do rack lockouts from just below that point after your speed bench?

Cheers Kosh. I will be doing some 3 board work this time around.

Flat footed with feet out in front? I will do that. I am trying to drive with my legs but I dont know that I am. I know that I did not set up at all. I spent the whole session getting set up properly for each set and then on the heaviest effort I f'd it up. I was getting way ahead of myself. I have the prior set of 286 on video which I actually get set up in

That is the point at which I was trying to use leg drive, lol. If I get and stay tighter this could be fixed?

Wrists cocking, I knew about. I felt it happen as soon as I took the bar. I will fix that.

Noted. Thank you.

Drew, thanks for taking the time to point these things out for me.

To help get tighter here,once you get into position, squeeze the bench with your knees. This will force your belly up and keep you in a tighter position.

Thanks BC. I will do that.

I will get at this. Thanks again fellas.

drew
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Flat footed with feet out in front and drive through the heels. I pick my toes up when I bench to make sure I am pushing through the heels. This will take some time to get used to, but it will benefit you in the long run.

ironwill727
02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Im actually the opposite the best thing I ever did for my bench was 5-3-1. Incline cg benches, log presses, and seated bb milt have done wonders for me. You could always do your bench 5-3-1 then use the conjugate method on your second lift but not to a 1rm a 3-5rm might be better.

ehopkins932
02-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Doing a true 3-5RM would probably run you down a lot depending on the individual...rhodes wrote something about incorporating heavy singles here: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=113986&tid= If one was itching to handle some heavier weight that would probably be more manageable.

robchris
02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
flynn,

Good work bro... Keep up the DE speed work and your bench will continue to climb!

Add some mini-bands on speed day if you havent already. They work like a charm!

-JM-
02-27-2010, 03:38 AM
Flat footed with feet out in front and drive through the heels. I pick my toes up when I bench to make sure I am pushing through the heels. This will take some time to get used to, but it will benefit you in the long run.

Thanks for the tip Drew. Makes a lot of sense. I will get used to it.

Im actually the opposite the best thing I ever did for my bench was 5-3-1. Incline cg benches, log presses, and seated bb milt have done wonders for me. You could always do your bench 5-3-1 then use the conjugate method on your second lift but not to a 1rm a 3-5rm might be better.

Thanks mate but I am now beginning my 17th cycle and I have tried many different approaches within 531. Iam competeing in June and I really want to be working with singles every third week. Since I stopped military press in favour of the DE day my bench has risen steadily so hopefully it will continue. I will still incorporate MIlitary pressing as an accessory here and there.

Doing a true 3-5RM would probably run you down a lot depending on the individual...rhodes wrote something about incorporating heavy singles here: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=113986&tid= If one was itching to handle some heavier weight that would probably be more manageable.

Thanks for posting this. I had actually just altered my program just before I saw that a while ago. I think someone actually linked it on WBB also.

flynn,

Good work bro... Keep up the DE speed work and your bench will continue to climb!

Add some mini-bands on speed day if you havent already. They work like a charm!

Thanks Rob. I have been using bands and chains on DE day this past few weeks now. Excellent.