PDA

View Full Version : Time off before Competition

combatzr2
02-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I have a Bench Comp march 2nd , its been many years since i have done one...how much time off should i take its about 4 days should i life bench one more day or relax for the 4 days till the comp....any guidance would be great.
thanks

Cyrus Ford
02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
When was your last bench press workout? If your last workout was today, you should rest until your meet. Most people make their last BP workout a week out. I normally take five to six days off depending if the competition is on Saturday or Sunday. Good luck.

Lones Green
02-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Yup, I like taking at least a full week off being full power. If I was just benching, things might be a bit different. But over a training cycle I get pretty beat up

combatzr2
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
yeah i did tri's and bi's today and bench on tueday, i think i'm just going to take the rest of the week off till tuesday night let the body heal up so i can demolish it really well.

IronDiggy
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I give myself a week of no work before a meet. Just chillax. Do some foam rolling, go for some walks... keep the blood moving but don't exert yourself.

robchris
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Yep, full week off bro... save it for the platform!

You'll be glad you did.

AdamBAG
02-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Sunday before a meet is usually my last workout day. Sunday is always bench day. I'll use warm up to my last warmup raw before I would put on my shirt and then do light assistance work.

Travis Bell
02-26-2010, 08:08 AM
As a bench only guy, I've gone back and fourth over time. some weeks before a meet, I do everything just like I normally do just skip ME bench

In fact some meets that I just wanted to treat as a heavy training day, I didn't skip ME bench

Other times I've taken most of the week off and done nothing but rehab stuff.

What I think is important to look at is a)how difficult your meet prep was and how beat up you are and b)how important this meet is.

I see a lot of guys, most of them beginners, who do meets all the time. They are constantly taking a week off here, week off there, deloading, what have you and never getting stronger. Too many meets will put you in meet prep mode all the time (keep in mind, I'm talking about the guys who do meets every other month or every month, year round)

I've found that to keep moving throughout the week, just doing something to keep the blood moving is what helps me the most. Otherwise I get a little stiff and sluggish.

combatzr2
02-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey thanks for all the help, i really did not beat up my body to bad this week, and well i'm doing this bench meet then a full meet at the end of the month. I'm in the army and deployed to iraq this is just a meet for the FOB(foward operating base) so besides missions i usually workout 5 days a week take two off kinda thing, its not a true power workout but hell i try to bust my ass as much as i can.

Cyrus Ford
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
As a bench only guy, I've gone back and fourth over time. some weeks before a meet, I do everything just like I normally do just skip ME bench

In fact some meets that I just wanted to treat as a heavy training day, I didn't skip ME bench

Other times I've taken most of the week off and done nothing but rehab stuff.

Travis,
I have had the best results when I train through the week leading up to a meet. If I am doing bench only I train Monday through Thursday. I do bench on Monday with one heavy set of 405x7 after warm ups. I do this because after 7 days I feel really flat and weak. With the workout at the top of the week I still have a little pump and I feel really strong come meet time. I have done a lot of experimenting over the years and I think taking 7 days was doing more harm than good. Like I tell a lot of people you have to find out what works best through trial and error.

Travis Bell
02-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Travis,
I have had the best results when I train through the week leading up to a meet. If I am doing bench only I train Monday through Thursday. I do bench on Monday with one heavy set of 405x7 after warm ups. I do this because after 7 days I feel really flat and weak. With the workout at the top of the week I still have a little pump and I feel really strong come meet time. I have done a lot of experimenting over the years and I think taking 7 days was doing more harm than good. Like I tell a lot of people you have to find out what works best through trial and error.

I've only gone heavy the week before a meet when I didn't really care about the meet outcome. More was using it as a heavy training day.

I would NOT recommend going heavy all the time before a meet. Doing some speed bench is probably better than going heavy in my opinion. There is easily a middle ground between going heavy and doing nothing.

robchris
02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I agree w/ doing some light training prior to a "bench only" meet... The last one I did I went to my opener on the bench and did my accessory work on Monday. the meet was on Sat. so I feel 4-5 days is plenty of rest.

However, if it's full power I take a full week off and as stated earlier, just keep moving and get the blood flowing.

combatzr2
02-27-2010, 02:40 AM
Its Saturday here thinking about doing a light bench day the last 3 days off i've felt sluggish, and then take sunday and monday off and bench comp is tuesday night. That should good to all? light or heavy bench today should i do?

hey i'm new to the site but love the site and the help thanks to all.

Cyrus Ford
02-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Its Saturday here thinking about doing a light bench day the last 3 days off i've felt sluggish, and then take sunday and monday off and bench comp is tuesday night. That should good to all? light or heavy bench today should i do?

hey i'm new to the site but love the site and the help thanks to all.

I would rest. It is too close to do a workout today when the meet is on Tuesday.

combatzr2
02-27-2010, 11:24 AM
ok against the advice of you great lifters I had to go to the gym i was losing my mind. However, I only went really like 135 for 10pause 225 2sets 8 pause and then 135 again for 10pause then walked out just something to get the blood flowing. now i'm going to ask for some more advice as i've been out of the loop for sometime now. I have a full meet the 25th of the month, how and what should i train for this. Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out...