PDA

View Full Version : Using chains for a circa max squat phase?

martin
02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey all,

I have been thinking and I'm going to try a using some chain for a circa max squat phase starting next week. Normally I have used bands and have often found my straight weight squat although strong always feels strange after the heavy tension. So time to try something new in a meet that isn't very important.

I have around 100kg (220lbs) of chain to use. Normally with bands I'd box squat for two weeks using 400lbs at the top and upto 550-600lbs bar weight in briefs and suit straps down.

I'm thinking over the next two weeks I'll try something like:

Week 1 - Free squat, breifs + suit straps down, + 220lbs chain for doubles

Week 2 - Free squat in full gear + 220lbs chain for singles

Week 3 - (Deload) 50% bar weight of week 3 + 100-150lbs chain for 3 x 3

Week 4 - Rest and meet at weekend

Anyone done anything similar? Or have any idea what kind of bar numbers I should be using? I know this is pretty damn individual but it's always good to get thoughts from other lifters with more experience :)

I'm hopin to get the 881 lbs that I got taken off me at the WPC worlds for an early re-rack and possibly go 903 or 928.

Martin

MarcusWild
02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
North Georgia Barbell does something similar. I think it's called extreme chain training. They use 300-400 lbs of chains.

AdamBAG
02-26-2010, 12:10 PM
My training partners and I always have used a mix of bands and chains, learned it from Diablo Barbell.

We would squat with the green (a/k/a average) bands and 120lbs of chains.

Week 1 - six sets of 2, briefs only (I might got 315 x 2 x 2, 365 x 2 x 2, 385 x 2 x 2 for example)
Week 2 - 4 sets of 2, briefs only, then work up doubles or singles with the suit straps down (so I might do doubles at 315 and 365 and then put on the suit bottoms and go 385 x 2, 405 x 2, 455 x 1, 495 x 2)
Week 3 - either deload with a straight weight speed week or get in full gear and do some straps up suit work

This isn't really a "circa-max" per se, but just a way to squat with chains.

I found that whatever I could do off the box w/ the bands and chains described above, I could squat +250 in the meet. When I did 455 x 1 w/ suit bottoms only I squatted 705. When I hit 495 x 1 bottoms only I squattd 750 in the meet.

I liked the band/chain combo b/c it felt closer to straight weight than a bunch of bands.

douglasoh5
02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
never done a circa max with a free squat but Im sure it would be fine. but as far as the gear goes alot of ppl are doing a full gear straight weight squat a cpl weeks before they start the circa max. go up to about 90% of there current max. then kind of a deload week then start the circa max. read matt wennings atricle on elite. really goes over it really well. the only thing different would be your using chains and I have done it once and ended up doing awesome. I think i used 6 chains per side so around what ur thinking about in chains.

martin
02-27-2010, 06:02 AM
never done a circa max with a free squat but Im sure it would be fine. but as far as the gear goes alot of ppl are doing a full gear straight weight squat a cpl weeks before they start the circa max. go up to about 90% of there current max. then kind of a deload week then start the circa max. read matt wennings atricle on elite. really goes over it really well. the only thing different would be your using chains and I have done it once and ended up doing awesome. I think i used 6 chains per side so around what ur thinking about in chains.

Yeah I read the article. It sounds like a great idea and would help fine tune any kit issues etc .

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll give it a go and keep you updated.

I'm limited to 220lbs of chain so may add a band aswell like you suggested Adam. This would increase the contrast more. I'll work up on Friday and see how it goes.

Martin

martin
03-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Quick update. I did the first squat session today. Decided to use a 14.5 inch box but only really for touch and go purposes. Worked upto:

585lbs + 220lbs chain x 2

630lbs + 220lbs chain x 2

672lbs + 220lbs chain x 2

Almost all of the chain was in the air at the top and it almost completely deloads at the bottom. I found it hard to get to the box in suit bottoms and briefs though.

Will update next week after the singles.

M

Zak Freiwald
03-05-2010, 03:58 PM
North Georgia Barbell does something similar. I think it's called extreme chain training. They use 300-400 lbs of chains.

We've never really done this as a group. However, I remember Jon Grove coming up with plan a couple years ago involving starting with a moderate amount of chain weight- say 30% of a max squat at the top end. Then, with each heavy squat week, the chain weight is replaced with plate weight. For example, a 800 squatter might use 260 of chain on week one and work up to 600 of bar weight for a single, then a couple weeks later, drop the chain weight to 220 and try for a 640 single. With each workout, 40 lbs of chain comes off, so by the fifth workout, you are down to 100 of chain and hopefully 720-760 of bar weight. This is done in full gear with straps up. No box was used. A few of us used this plan with varying results. The trick with the plan- as with circa max- seemed to be figuring out what are realistic work weights and how those would really change with less accomodating resistance on the bar since there is a curve in this relationship.

Another guy at the gym, Glenn, has been trying this lately but with a higher proportion of chain to bar weight- hense the "extreme" chain cycle. He's got a sporting chance hitting a 1000. He started with 600 of chain and 500 on the bar and ended with 881 plus 140 of chain.

Using chain as a circa max is an interesting idea. I like idea of circa maxes, but the reality of the bands and box CM cycle has not panned out for me as a meet prep tool.

martin
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Update Week 2 of 2:

Worked upto 716 lbs plus 220 lbs chain for a single straps down. Still had problems hitting the bx but it's slightly below where I need to be come comp day.

Was a tough rep and here's the vid:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OFpTidoX49s&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OFpTidoX49s&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>