PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Wrap Question

KoSh
02-26-2010, 06:20 PM
You guys have helped me countless times and I turn to you again here!

As I start handling 300+ on bench more and more I think it's time to get some wraps as I get some slight wrist discomfort.

I ordered APT Convicts, but they emailed me back and said they were out of stock. I checked EFS and their customer service said they should get the Heavy wraps in next week, but they do have Super Heavy Wraps in stock.

APT is also out of stock of ZRVs but they have Black Mamba's and Black Reapers.

Inzer is another option.

Does anyone have an opinion? You guys have never steered me wrong! :)

EDIT/UPDATE

Now I'm looking into knee wraps. Not necessarily going to buy them today, but I'm thinking about it. How much wrap should I use? 3 meters? And what knee wraps are recommended? I generally see Convicts being pimped alot. How are the Mamba knee wraps? ZRVs?

Any other suggestions?

douglasoh5
02-26-2010, 07:45 PM
super heavies may be a bit much if youv never used wraps before....black mambas are a really good wrap as are both inzer wraps. I would recomend a 24" wrap for your first one. the inzer z wraps are cheap and good as are the mambas

Jon Elick
02-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Get a 36" set of APT Black Reapers for your super heavy work, and a set of the 24" Reapers for your middle-range work. Those should be plenty of wrap for the 300 pound range. Use discount code JELICK to get 15% off your APT order...

NickAus
02-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Black reapers, I would get 36s.

IronDiggy
02-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I just got my 36" Titan RPM's and I like em! Benched over 300 in them and tonnes of support.

jtteg_x
02-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm a 300lb raw bencher as well. I love using my Inzer True blacks 24" for raw bench. I've also used my partners Inzer Z's and Titan THP which are also great wraps as well. I bring out the EFS super heavy when I put the shirt on ;) Never used any of APT's newer model wraps

bigjeff87
02-27-2010, 01:20 AM
are the 36' legal in the ipf/usapl? and how are the metal line brand wrist wraps?

Sean S
02-27-2010, 08:39 AM
are the 36' legal in the ipf/usapl? and how are the metal line brand wrist wraps?

I don't know about the specifics of USAPL/IPF. If you are referring to the Metal wraps that are white with black lines on them, they are OK. I have an old pair and they do stretch out after you use them for a while. I've heard good things about the Metal black wraps though. Any of the APT or EFS wraps mentioned in this thread are probably better in my opinion. Some of the heavier wraps not only give more support, but they also seem to last longer without getting stretched out too much.

IronDiggy
02-27-2010, 09:13 AM

36' isn't but 36" are :D

basically any suppliers should have the IPF approved logo on their page if the product is IPF approved. Or at least note it on the page some where

jtteg_x
02-27-2010, 06:17 PM
I've had the metal all blacks. the thumb loop eventually snapped (as my inzer true blacks did as well). however, the thumb loop on the inzer's were bit more heavy duty and lasted longer before the loop gave out. considering the price of the metal all blacks, its not worth buying.

KoSh
02-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Went ahead and got the Reapers. Thanks for all of your help!

mastermonster
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Saw this late but if you decide you don't like the reapers, I'd recommend Titan's THP 36". I've worked up to 820 on boards with them and have no wrist issues. Great support.

IronDiggy
02-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Saw this late but if you decide you don't like the reapers, I'd recommend Titan's THP 36". I've worked up to 820 on boards with them and have no wrist issues. Great support.

I have a worn out pair of 24" THP's awesome wrap wish I would have gotten them in 36" originally (didn't know any better.) but my rpm's are almost the exact same feeling they just stretch a hell ova lot more.

KoSh
03-01-2010, 05:09 AM
I got the 24" to start. I figure buying another pair will run me no more than $30 with shipping in 36".

KoSh
03-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Updated the OP with a knee wrap question too, rather than starting a whole new thread for it.

Thanks fellas!

PS: Definitely going without velcro for the knee wrap when I do order them!

BloodandThunder
03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Depends on some things. Know what style of wrap would suit you....Alot of lifters like myself prefer the cast like stiffness of the Convict for stopping power, whereas some like the rebound that the old school Z wraps give. 3m is the way to go unless you plan to compete USAPL/IPF then 2m it is.

Also, if you plan to wear them in training consistently and have to apply them yourselves, something like the Blue Mambas/ZRV or Titans or Inzers stuff aren't bad. Applying convicts by yourself won't be nearly as effective as someone else torquing the crap out of them.

I typically train in a pair of old Metal All Blacks (good mix between rebound/cast) and then wear my convicts for meets and PR training.

KoSh
03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
I pretty much train alone. I was looking at some feds and alot seem to say 2 meters or 2.5 is the limit.

So I'll go with 2 or 2.5s. ZRVs and Mambas sound pretty good. The descriptions sound good and I've heard good things about them.

StLRPh
03-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I got 2.5m Convicts with Velcro. When I replace them I'll get 3m without velcro. The velcro popped when I was doing a heavy set :( Other than that I really like the Convicts.

KoSh
03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I got 2.5m Convicts with Velcro. When I replace them I'll get 3m without velcro. The velcro popped when I was doing a heavy set :( Other than that I really like the Convicts.

Do you train alone? Before BloodandThunder posted I was worried about getting the wraps tight enough alone... His post kind of solidified my fears.

Lones Green
03-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah the velcro is junk on knee wraps.

Give the ZRV's a try, they are relatively soft, but you can crank them for some good support

StLRPh
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Do you train alone? Before BloodandThunder posted I was worried about getting the wraps tight enough alone... His post kind of solidified my fears.

Just me and a mildewy garage. Everytime that I put them on they're a little tighter and a little more comfortable as well. I definitely am getting something out of them.

You could always do knee sleeves as well. That's what I've been using for the past year. Started with the Red and Black APTs and then went to the EFS Heavy Sleeves. Both are great. I think that the EFS Heavy sleeves are the same as the Convist Double Ply sleeve from APT.

KoSh
03-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I'd like a wrap so I can get used to the feeling. It seems knee sleeves aren't legal in alot of feds, unless I'm reading that incorrectly (which I may be since I've been reading in between work done today)

douglasoh5
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Like lones said those zrv are a good wrap. and you can def crank them or just have a snug wrap.

AdamBAG
03-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I'd like a wrap so I can get used to the feeling. It seems knee sleeves aren't legal in alot of feds, unless I'm reading that incorrectly (which I may be since I've been reading in between work done today)

I'm not sure that's true. If wraps are allowed then in most cases knee sleeves are allowed.

What fed is your next meet?

KoSh
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
WNPF if I do it.

KoSh
03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Just ordered some ZRV's... Stay tuned for if I decide to order a name brand belt :)