PDA

View Full Version : APT Deadlift Shin Saver

teeroy
02-27-2010, 10:47 AM
The good news is that my deadlift form is getting better and I've learned to pull back and keep my hips down instead of pulling up like I used to. The bad news is that my shins are now constantly bruised, scabbed, and always end up bleeding during a deadlift session. I know it's manly to have jacked up shins from deadlifting but I really don't want to walk around the rest of my life with scabbed and bruised shins. So I've been looking around for a solution because long socks by themselves aren't helping much.

I found a ghetto solution where you cut up a 2 liter bottle and slide the plastic under your socks to provide the protection. This actually doesn't sound too bad and I'm down for trying it but I also found these shin savers on the APT site and was wondering if others use them and what the feedback is. Also would be curious as to other techniques people use to save their shins.

APT Deadlift Shin Guard (http://www.prowriststraps.com/deadlift_shin_saver_calf_shin_support)

slashkills
02-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I would rather use the actual pads from a store than ghetto rigging something. Those things are gonna be more popular now that the APF(?) requires shin protection of some sort on pulls.

AdamBAG
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
My training partner Phil Wylie uses shin guards. I'm not sure if they are the APT ones, but he is sponsored by them.

Rich, that posts here, uses knee sleeves. He just pulls them over his calf. I think that would be a good solution too.

Brian C
02-27-2010, 03:01 PM
I use that exact ghetto technique. I cut 6x6 pieces and round the corners from a 2 liter bottle. Works awesome and cheap.

hodgman
02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
i use my knee sleeves, works good for me.

teeroy
02-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Good to see that other people like to protect their shins. :)

Thanks Brian. I may try the ghetto technique first and save a few bucks since you say it works good.

abbcccxyyzzz
03-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Wow, interesting!

I usually just blast my skins and let those fakas bleed! and have open sores for a whole cycle. I was thinking about using soccer shin guards myself.