PDA

View Full Version : 225 bench for reps revival! It's NFL combine time!

mastermonster
02-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I know it's been done a lot of times but it always draws a lot of interest around combine time. How many reps with 225 on the bench has everyone hit. Vid if you got it, no worries if you don't. Just internet gym talk! Just watched the Tight End group today and I think the best was 45 (tied the combine record I think). The averages were in the 20's with the lowest I remember of 18. I'll start:

I did a rep out set last Monday after going to 600 shirted (took the shirt off just so there's no confusion! LOL!) Note: I've always done better on this after going a little heavy in the shirt. 225 feels like nothing then!

I did 50 reps, A 7 rep PR from a couple of years or so ago. Keep in mind my bench stroke raw is only about 4 inches or slightly less! Some of you guys will move the bar farther in 10 reps than I do for 50! LOL!

Buddy McKee

IronDiggy
02-27-2010, 01:15 PM
My best is 8 reps @ 225. However I'm still a weak bastard.

AdamBAG
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I haven't done it in a long time, but my best is 23 I think.

BoAnderson71
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM
it was an olineman that hit 45

KoSh
02-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I hit 14 back when I was 168... But I think I was in better shape then and was able to go for more reps. I'm stronger now but I'm not sure I can get 14 now heh.

ELmx479
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Best I ever got was 5. Beat that!!! HAHA
Most of the videos I see people doing a weight for high reps do half reps really fast which I think is pointless and shouldn't count.

powerm64
02-27-2010, 03:45 PM
My best with 225 is 31 reps.

mastermonster
02-27-2010, 09:12 PM
it was an olineman that hit 45

Right. I think they must have re-shown the linemans set during the TE session and I thought it was one of them. I heard later during the 40 yd. dash that the top TE was 30. I was in and out of the room during most of it. Thanks!

BigRic
02-27-2010, 09:24 PM
16 is my best.

dammstrate
02-28-2010, 08:09 AM
To show you how meaningless this "test" is, I have done a shirted 590, but my best with 225 is only 26
reps, almost the same shirted as Buddy, but 1/2 the reps.

Igor Olshansky at DT from U of Oregon, holds the combine record with 45. He plays with the Chargers
in the NFL now. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who starts at left tackle the the NY Jets, only did 21 at the
combine.

It's only a VERY small indicator of one's ability to play in the NFL.

douglasoh5
02-28-2010, 10:55 AM
greg an even bigger truness to the waste is my best is 18(close grip) and i got a 660 bench. but i guess its fun.

nickp8
02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
My best is 30, which I did in August. Have not tried it since then. It definately doesn't prove how strong you are because I can't bench 405(raw).

SELK
02-28-2010, 11:49 AM
my best is like 12 or 13 if I remember right. Raw is 365 shirted is mid 5s.

never been good at reps.

mikesbench
02-28-2010, 01:21 PM
It is funny how much the 225 rep test can vary, even for people that have pretty similar 1RM strength. My best 225 for reps I believe was 20 reps, with a 415 raw bench, and 606 shirted. I'd say reps are not my strong point either. You'd think they might try to figure out a 5RM or something at least remotely usefull at the combine. I can maybe understan 225 for reps for QB's, DB's and WR's, then 315 for RB's, and LB's, and 365 or 405 for Linemen...

robchris
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Havent tried in a long time but I think the last was 19-20 reps... Of course thats Touch & go... So thats pretty subjective, 1/2 reps and all.

BTW, Buddy, I'm one of those long-armed bas***** so based on distance, I probably beat you!:evillaugh:

RC

joey54
02-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I would rather see a 315 lb squat for reps. 405 lbs for the lineman. That would tell more about one's strength and overall character than the 225 lb bench press does. But, that is cool to see as well. The best I have ever done is 15. My bench press is improving, but a rep out with 225 lbs is not something in the works for the future.

BoAnderson71
02-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes I agree the 225 is irrelevant. for olineman test narrow grip bench 1rm. for on the field drills see how fast they can push a prowler with 4 45's on each side and time them for a distance. Test them in tire flips as well. give them a jump rope and test footwork. Everything else you need to see technique etc. will be on the film. Even the technique drills are dumb because its alot easier to have good technique when your hitting a bag or mirroring someone in shorts and a tshirt. Just my two cents.

Travis Bell
02-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Benching is huge in football (equally as much as squatting and deadlifting...another discussion though) but the ability to shove, especially for lineman is really important.

Could not agree more though that the 225 for reps is stupid. It'd be better if they just had the guys max. Simple as that.

I got into this discussion with an NFL strength and conditioning coach once and he gave me this big long line about how the players won't push just once, they need to repeat the action very quickly and repeatedly. So (this is him talking) the 225 for reps at the combine wasn't about strength, more about endurance and speed.

My reply to that was a) some times these sets take a minute or two to complete. No football play lasts that long. If that's really the case, why not have them rep the most weight they can, for 15 seconds? (Last stat that I'd read at the time stated the average play lasts 15 seconds)

The second point though is if you make these guys stronger (bring their bench up) they are going to be more effective with their shoving and hand speed. When linemen A has linemen B comming at him as hard as he can, weighing 350lbs - it's really not going to boil down to who can bench 225 more times. The linemen who can create the most force is the one who is going to win.

He of course brushed me off. Oh well lol. I understand their perspective as well. In the grand scheme of things, the combine is really only a huge deal to the kids who didn't get a good showing during the regular season and need to look good in front of scouts.

mastermonster
02-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I totally agree with Travis here. The bench press is vitally important. And I'd agree that the 225 for total reps is not a very good way to test (other than the injury risk is low for their high dollar investments). I agree the 225 for 15 seconds would be more telling. I'll also add that I think that power cleans would be a much more accurate indicator of explosiveness and potential to 'hit' than any other lift. But if technique is not very solid, they are a much bigger injury risk. I think the injury risk factor and the huge amount of money invested in players is a factor in what they choose for evaluation.

mastermonster
02-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Havent tried in a long time but I think the last was 19-20 reps... Of course thats Touch & go... So thats pretty subjective, 1/2 reps and all.

BTW, Buddy, I'm one of those long-armed bas***** so based on distance, I probably beat you!:evillaugh:

RC

I'm quite sure you and Gregg both beat me badly on distance the bar traveled! LOL!

BoAnderson71
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
A raw powerlifting meet for the lineman would be awesome:clap:, but I strongly agree with travis it is super important for the d1 guys with ok film and the d1aa and d2 guys.

Guido
03-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I think my best with 225 is around 13-14. That's with good form, full lockout. A lot of those NFL combine guys you see have atrocious form and it still counts, so I wonder how many I would get if I did it "combine style"? 20?

StLRPh
03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Jesus all of you are strong f-er's :) I'm hoping to get 1 in a month or so. Probably not good enough for the combine :)

Ruff Riff
03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Could not agree more though that the 225 for reps is stupid. It'd be better if they just had the guys max. Simple as that.

And those reps would'nt even count at SUPERIOR ATHLETICS!!! LOL! No bouncing and LOCK EM OUT!!!

I have to admit I do love to watch the combine, it does measure some of the raw athletisizm, but does not say much to a players ability to actually play the game, I don't think Jerry Rice was a great 40 yard dasher but he is probably the greatest reciever to play the game. But as far as watching really large guys jump around and show how well they can move it is a good time! I really love wathcing the linemen do cone drills and shuttles, those are big guys!!!