PDA

View Full Version : breaking in shirt

jtteg_x
02-27-2010, 08:07 PM
My jacked up double katana came in and I was able to get it down to 3-brd today doing singles (with a new PR). I read from Marc Bartley from EFS said start with high boards working lowest you can go. My question is for the next remaining weeks, should it be all singles or move up to doubles; possibly triples?

NickAus
02-28-2010, 01:46 AM
I personally had good luck working down the boards with doubles.

I like using half boards (3/4") to work down starting around 3 board height.

All the work going down the boards helped my bench heaps but I would make sure your not killing yourself in the shirt weeks on end.

vdizenzo
02-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Boards are garbage to break in and learn a shirt. Do reps in the shirt and bring each down as far as it goes and have someone give you a press call. Make sure to be patient in the hole. Most lifters lack the patience necessary to do it right.

Lones Green
02-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Boards are garbage to break in and learn a shirt. Do reps in the shirt and bring each down as far as it goes and have someone give you a press call. Make sure to be patient in the hole. Most lifters lack the patience necessary to do it right.

I'm no big bencher by any means, but I really think this is the best way to go. When I was breaking in my first shirt I used boards, and really think it messed with my technique

AdamBAG
02-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree with Vincent. Save the boards for after you can go full range. I personally like to touch a weight and then go to the boards for overloading the movement.

robchris
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Alright, two schools of thought here... Either will work, boards or not. I used them w/ my 1-ply SK and had pretty good results touching on my 4th or 5th session.

However, once you start touching and learn the groove of the shirt, bds. are primarily for overload, strengthening the lock-out and overcome sticking points.

Try it Marc's way or Vinnie's just ensure you have good spotters on hand!

just my .02...
Good luck,
RC