PDA

View Full Version : Februrary Training Clips - Video

Travis Bell
02-28-2010, 06:31 PM
HJXcV-m1Ex8

Just thought I'd throw these up. I've been cycling band tensions same as last time and it's still working very well. My overall strength is good.

For my equipped bench I just need to keep working away at my top end. From watching some of the top benchers around, specifically my 3brd is not near high as it should be, but I've been working to correct that weakness with the help of Louie.

Lones Green
02-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Great work Travis. I'm excited to see where this lockout work takes you

robchris
02-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Travis,

Awesome work bro... That 530lb. floor press was bada**!

I need to work my lock-out too, and you gave me a lot of good ideas!

BTW, no chains?
RC

Ryan Hale
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Very cool Travis.

BTW,I'm going to see STP in a couple weeks. :clap:

Ryan Hale

Brian Hopper
02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Awesome training video Travis!!! Was that floor press a PR?

Travis Bell
02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah the floor press was a PR, previous being 525

RC, no I didn't use any chains into our DE cycle these last two. What I've been doing is 5x5, 6x5, 7x5 then 3 weeks of 8x3 with progressive band tensions

What I'm thinking about doing is using the chains for the weeks of 5 reps just to break things up a little.

Brian Hopper
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Do you feel that chains help more with your speed or bands? I was using chains for the last 4 weeks of my training cycle for this meet and I don't think it helped me out as far as speed went.

mikesbench
03-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Nice work Travis; great floor press.

Travis Bell
03-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Do you feel that chains help more with your speed or bands? I was using chains for the last 4 weeks of my training cycle for this meet and I don't think it helped me out as far as speed went.

For me, bands help more with speed, chains help more with stability

For a lot of people, they find that chains are easier on the elbows as well, so it's beneficial for them to rotate them in and out of training cycles.

ScottYard
03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
530 is a big floor press travis. nice work!

AdamBAG
03-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Looking really strong Travis. Nice job!

AdamBAG
03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Travis, how did you decide on 205 as the bar weight? Is that a rough % or is that just the weight that felt right for the speed you wanted?

Travis Bell
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
It's actually a pretty low percentage of my raw max.

bout 4 months ago I went to using mini bands and monster minis bands and working up to around 250-275lbs bar weight on a regular basis because that'd be a closer percentage of my max.

My overall speed went down, and it actually started to effect my performance on ME day. Why? I'm not sure. Just know that it didn't work

So for the past few months I've gone back to using varying band tensions and lighter weight. My speed is better than it's ever been using this stuff.

Louie is the one who helped me figure out what was going wrong with my ME stuff and it's correlation to the DE work. He's also the one who suggested I use the choked bands

AdamBAG
03-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I couldn't remember what your raw bench was, but I figured 205 is 40% or less.

After my meet in March I may try out some of your band setups.

Ruff Riff
03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
My overall speed went down, and it actually started to effect my performance on ME day. Why? I'm not sure. Just know that it didn't work

Now that is a great statement! It is so easy for any of us to get bogged down in the WHY of something not working and in doing so loose valuable traiing time and mental focus! If it aint working, note it, make a change and move on! Good stuff Travis, indeed!

NickAus
03-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Great video, very impressive!!

vdizenzo
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Super strong Trav. Awesome lifting. Great floor press. Looks like you're bringing back rack lockouts, going old school.

BloodandThunder
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Cool stuff....always been a fan of straight weight lockouts. The choked light/doubled mini combo looks interesting, looks like a nice way to torch your lockout.

Louie ever have the any lifters with bad DL lockout issues try this (quadded mini instead) with speed DL work???