PDA

View Full Version : Canned Salmon?

Rip.66.
03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I eat a ot of canned tuna for the high protein and low fat but I wanted to get some variety in what I eat. has anyone tried canned Salmon and is it good....but more importantly is it a good addition to a cutting diet.

Also..ways to prepare it.

Mercuryblade
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I eat a ot of canned tuna for the high protein and low fat but I wanted to get some variety in what I eat. has anyone tried canned Salmon and is it good....but more importantly is it a good addition to a cutting diet.

Also..ways to prepare it.

I'm not a huge fan. It has bones in it and is generally pretty mealy. I would rather just eat tuna than canned salmon. I love fresh salmon and it's just kind of disappointing.

As far as a cutting food goes, it all depends about the rest of your macro's. Whether or not a food is "good" for cutting is totally dependant on how you want to eat, and what the rest of your diet looks like

When I have eaten it, I usually would throw it in a pan with some olive oil, fresh pressed garlic, sea salt, cracked pepper, and basil, then toss with some whole wheat pasta.

You can also make salmon patties out of it, which aren't too bad, and you can really vary up the ingrediants depending on your wants. A salmon patty's base consists of egg, breadcrumbs, and salmon. Pat the salmon into patties and simmer on a med heat until crispy in some olive oil. Panko breadcrumbs and teriyaki sauce are good.

pillsbury
03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
its weird I used to hate seafood as a kid now I eat can loads of tuna... Have you ever tried mackerel in tomatoe sauce? Not too bad... My 0 carb tuna recipe is mustard,onions, and fresh black pepper... Try eating tomatoes with mustard on it its my "treat" ( you got to get creative when on a no carb diet)

Rip.66.
03-02-2010, 04:47 AM
I think I'll try making some Salmon patties, thanks MercuryBlade. Pillsbury: I already eat that almost same Tuna meal everyday, I was just wondering if Salmon was as good as tuna in terms of protein and Omega 3's.....btw: try some chopped celery in with the tuna..gives it a little crunch!

Skalami
03-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah so canned Salmon, i only bought one can recently... its supposed to be that "mealy"? their were a bit of bones some skin... all different parts in there. If thats the way its supposed to be so be it... is it bad for you with the mercury or anything like that? Cause like the OP it is nice to mix up the canned tuna once in awhile

Vega
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Why don't you just eat fresh wild caught salmon instead. The stuff in the cans is usually farm-bred and doesn't have all the nutrients that wild-caught salmon and tuna have in it. I usually put some salmon or tuna filets in a pan of olive oil with some fresh herbs and eat it. I also like tuna steaks on the grill. Tuna and salmon are great foods for you but I would try to only eat fresh caught and make sure it is wild and not farmed.

Rip.66.
03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Why don't you just eat fresh wild caught salmon instead. The stuff in the cans is usually farm-bred and doesn't have all the nutrients that wild-caught salmon and tuna have in it. I usually put some salmon or tuna filets in a pan of olive oil with some fresh herbs and eat it. I also like tuna steaks on the grill. Tuna and salmon are great foods for you but I would try to only eat fresh caught and make sure it is wild and not farmed.

Because I do not have the money to buy fresh fillets every week....and the can's are more convenient.

Skalami
03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
ditto... i dont think about making food until i am starving... and by that time i want it right then! im also pretty lazy, a few nights ago i had tuna with crunched up goldfish because i didnt feel like doing up a salad or sandwich

pillsbury
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I think a good compromisie would be pink salmon in a pouch... I get them at 99 cents stores so they're cheap ... Only 99 cents! No bones! I think tastiest protein source other than a juicy steak is el pollo loco chicken, dam thats good!

MadChef
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Funny you should post this, as I just had canned salmon the other day for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised. Its fishy, as you might imagine, and it does have the bones... I'm a little crazy though when it comes to food and I like the crunch of the little backbones. Those bones are very nutritious as well, and the fish is much more oily (more essential fatty acids) than tuna. I will be eating more canned salmon in the future. Also, I like to make a tuna salad for the week as something to have around when I'm trying to put on weight. Use whole wheat pasta, like small penne or macaroni, add pine nuts/walnuts, almonds, artichokes, canola mayo (not real mayo but high in unsaturated fats and quite good), a little balsamic vinegar and mustard. You can put whatever kind of vegetables you want, celery, onion, carrots, green/red/yellow peppers... I buy vegetables randomly when I shop, so whatever I have goes in. This beats the hell out of slurping wet tuna out of a can and then having nasty turds from not eating enough fiber. Healthier, smarter...

VikingWarlord
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I just made some salmon croquettes tonight and they kicked ass. I removed the skin and the vertebrae but the pinbones aren't at all noticeable.

Skalami
03-04-2010, 06:29 AM
the vertebrae is the best part! munch that spinal cord!!

Rip.66.
03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Good to know that a lot of people eat it...I will be picking up one of the large cans with the bones and skin today to try it out.