PDA

View Full Version : Lat Pulldown / Low Row Machine

ehubbard
03-02-2010, 08:00 AM
I am looking to get a plate loaded lat pulldown / low row machine for my home gym. My ceiling is 7 ft and I am looking for something with a decent amount of weight capacity. I have been looking at two relatively cheap options, a Powerline and Body Solid (both under $350). I would love to go with Elite's but dont have the 1,100 or so laying around.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, has anyone used the low row cable to do belt squats on one of these?

Learning2Lift
03-02-2010, 08:45 AM
I actually sell both of those. Go with the Body Solid. Though they are both owned by the same company the Body Solid Lat pull-down is better quality and won't move nearly as much when you load it up with weight. You also don't have to change the cable from the top to the bottom every time.

Travis Bell
03-02-2010, 08:52 AM
I have the body solid one in my gym. It works fine. Eventually I'm going to get a pin select one. Probably used, but if not, I'll get one of Elite's. Elite's is the best priced by a mile.

As far as using the low cable for belt squats, we have tried that a couple times at the gym and it can be done, but it's kinda cumbersome and you have to stand on some platform like cinder blocks. Using bands from the bottom of the power rack is much easier.

AdamBAG
03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I have the body solid one in my gym. It works fine. Eventually I'm going to get a pin select one. Probably used, but if not, I'll get one of Elite's. Elite's is the best priced by a mile.

As far as using the low cable for belt squats, we have tried that a couple times at the gym and it can be done, but it's kinda cumbersome and you have to stand on some platform like cinder blocks. Using bands from the bottom of the power rack is much easier.

I learn something new every day here! Great idea!

Travis Bell
03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I wrote an article on training hip strength for athletes that will have a video of the band set up when it's released.

It'd work really well for you adam with your back problems.

AdamBAG
03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I wrote an article on training hip strength for athletes that will have a video of the band set up when it's released.

It'd work really well for you adam with your back problems.

Travis, that would be awesome as I don't have access to a belt squat anymore.

vdizenzo
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I have a cheap ass pulldown/low row machine. I wish I had spent money on a good one. However, I have recently secured the machine to the ceiling in my basement and it works much better that way.

Pete22
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Look into a Legend Fitness one. It's like the Elite one, but it's a few hundred cheaper if you find the right dealer and get a good shipping charge.

JK1
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Mine is a beast, old school, 2 inch frame, heavy assed, load it to the hilt type. I like it that way....

I don't know where you are located at, but Wright Equipment in Birmingham Al had a couple of decent ones (used, but decent) for sale about 5 weeks ago for about $500 a piece. they looked to be in good shape with solid bearings and cables---again these were the type I'd buy, nothing foo foo. Generally with used stuff, if Leo knows you are a competitive powerlifter, he'll work with you too. He held the one I got from them for a few weeks without a problem.

I can get you the contact information if you need it or you can find them on the web.

JK1
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Look into a Legend Fitness one. It's like the Elite one, but it's a few hundred cheaper if you find the right dealer and get a good shipping charge.

Legend would have been my choice if I hadn't found the used one I have now.