PDA

View Full Version : back work for shirted bench

jtteg_x
03-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Which back exercises has helped your shirted bench? I've been rotating between BB/DB rows and CSR using 3x8 format on DE and ME days. Are their certain grips on the BB that would be more beneficial toward benching?

NickAus
03-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I think all rowing movements will help along with some pulldown variation.

3x8 twice a week may be too little IMO.

Also rear delts are very important, face pulls, band pull aparts, cable rows to the face, bent over db raises etc.

douglasoh5
03-03-2010, 07:14 AM
ya do direct rear delt and trap work too

tfannon
03-03-2010, 07:39 AM
shrugs and rows. the more mass you have in your upper back the better and tighter you will be able to arch up on it and support the arch.

also, nothing is less impressive than a 500lb bencher with a small upper back.

vdizenzo
03-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Do face pulls, rear delt, trap work on one day and do rowing and lat work on another.

AdamBAG
03-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I have found that doing pullups/chinups with various grips is the way to go for me. Nothing works your entire upper back like a pullup.

Plus, for guys with a low back issues like myself, you don't have to worry about the low back hurting when doing a pullup.

Normally I do chins/pullups on my dynamic effort day and do CSR or DB row on my max effort day.

robchris
03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
jt,
My favorites are face-pulls, band pull aparts, DB rows and pull-ups. as far as the grip I generally grip the width of my shirted bench. Esp. w/ low cable rows or machine rows

This kinda' simulates lowering the bar while shirted. Really tense and flex the upper back while doing these.

I actually do holds w/ the machine rows at the top, to again mimic the bottom position of the BP. I feel this really helps keep the upper back strong and scapulas retracted while benching heavy weights. Good luck bro...
RC

NickAus
03-04-2010, 03:56 AM
jt,
My favorites are face-pulls, band pull aparts, DB rows and pull-ups. as far as the grip I generally grip the width of my shirted bench. Esp. w/ low cable rows or machine rows

This kinda' simulates lowering the bar while shirted. Really tense and flex the upper back while doing these.

I actually do holds w/ the machine rows at the top, to again mimic the bottom position of the BP. I feel this really helps keep the upper back strong and scapulas retracted while benching heavy weights. Good luck bro...
RC

Good points Rob I agree.

Travis Bell
03-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Like everyone else has already said, lots of rowing work, pulldown work for the lats, chins are really good as well.

Reverse band pulldowns are really good in my opinion as well. Picked those up from Vincent a while ago and they really help a ton with technique and form while hitting the back really hard.

Barbaccio
03-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Chins
Heavy Barbell Rows
Kroc Rows
Face Pulls
Bent Over Rows to the Neck
Vogelpohl Rows
Wide Bar Pushdowns