PDA

View Full Version : Question about calories that "feel filling"

fixationdarknes
03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
On the back of my mixed nuts container, it says that one quarter of a cup is 170 calories. I just ate a cup right now (supposedly 680 calories) and I honestly almost don't even feel like I ate anything lol. Whereas sometimes I'll eat a hamburger thing that has about 290 calories and it'll be a decent snack for me.

My question is: what makes some foods feel so filling and others not? I am almost tempted to not believe this nut container's nutrition facts >_>

ELmx479
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
That's because nuts are dense calories. Try eating 2 plain chicken breast with a big glass of water and a plain sweet potato. You would be only looking at 400-500 calories and that would really fill you up. That is why calorie dense foods are recommended on a bulk because you can consume plenty of calories without feeling like you ate a ton. Things like nuts, whole milk, ice cream, natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc...

VikingWarlord
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Eat dense and fibrous vegetables. Squash, leafy greens, and anything else with some substance will help. You also have to remember that it takes some time (normal figure given is 20m but YMMV) for the satiety mechanism to kick in. Eat the nuts (ok, I giggled writing that) and have a big glass of water as well, then give it some time.

Pure Water
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Ya, they're right. I remember I had this desert thing one time, and while I was eating it, I didn't feel full at all, and then a little bit later, I was like "Aaaahhhh, I'm so full I almost wanna barf!".

chungyong
03-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I find cottage cheese to be quite an appetite suppressant.

Rip.66.
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Peanut Butter is really dense and caloric, it also stays with you for a while.

I_Esta_5
03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
My experience first time drinking 16oz protein shake I took two gulps and I was already full. I felt like bursting! And I had 14 oz left to go!! I forced myself to finish it all and it was so hard. Nowdays though, it goes down way easier and faster. It's like I haven't even drank anything.