PDA

View Full Version : will this burn muscle?

MassAppeal
03-06-2010, 11:29 PM
is cardio on the 80-85% of my heart rate catabolic? im on a bulk right now and have stalled i was just wondering if its okay to keep doing this intensity as long as i increase my calories? id rather increase the calories but if this intensity eats up muscle then im willing to perform cardio around 65-75% of my heart rate OR keep the same intensity but lower duration.
duration is 20 minutes. NOT hiit, steady state 80%-85% heart rate the whole 20 minutes

Mark!
03-06-2010, 11:54 PM
What about eating something after the cardio to replace the calories burned? Maybe a protein shake after your workout? I think some form of cardio is essential to overall health. As long as your lifting routine looks good, and you're consistent, keep doing some form of cardio. You could try a quick walk at an increased incline for 20 minutes, anything as long as you're still getting the cardio in there. How often do you do cardio? Maybe cutting it down to twice a week or so on an off day.

MassAppeal
03-07-2010, 02:57 AM
im doing it 3x/week. i keep hearing people saying that it should be low intensity. you think 85% of my heart rate is too much for 20mins?

Mark!
03-07-2010, 03:48 AM
I've always heard 50-60% is the low end of the training range, so 85% would be high intensity, especially at a prolonged period of time.

one rep under
03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I run anywhere from 3- 5 miles a day and it did hit my strength gains pretty hard.
Recently I've been trying to eat more to gain back the 10-15 lbs ive lost since starting running and it is coming back slowly along with my gains.

If i had upped my caloric consumption I feel my strength loss would have been minimal and I feel that you may benefit as well.

3x a week isn't going to break the bank for 20 mins of those days I think Travis does some sort of cardio 3 x a week and many guys do prowler pushes and hill sprints which don't seem to put them at much of a strength deficit at all.

I suggest trying it.
If you don't like what it does then you can simply alter it or take it out altogether of your training routine. Don't be afraid to experiment!

MassAppeal
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I run anywhere from 3- 5 miles a day and it did hit my strength gains pretty hard.
Recently I've been trying to eat more to gain back the 10-15 lbs ive lost since starting running and it is coming back slowly along with my gains.

If i had upped my caloric consumption I feel my strength loss would have been minimal and I feel that you may benefit as well.

3x a week isn't going to break the bank for 20 mins of those days I think Travis does some sort of cardio 3 x a week and many guys do prowler pushes and hill sprints which don't seem to put them at much of a strength deficit at all.

I suggest trying it.
If you don't like what it does then you can simply alter it or take it out altogether of your training routine. Don't be afraid to experiment!

ye man i think thats the reason why im not gaining any strength at all. its just that i feel like its too easy to run and i get bored if im not around 80% of my max. but ye im going to lower the intensity but im not sure in which range. maybe around 70%-75%? would that be okay?

thanks guys