PDA

View Full Version : need a good routine

dmann
03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
hey im 14 and bench 220 and i weigh 168. im not tying to get ripped. im on the wresling team i wont to get bigger and stronger but not ripped. im just trying to find a good workout routine

jbrin0tk
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Without knowing too much about you, I would think that Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 would be a good choice for you.

slashkills
03-08-2010, 05:01 PM
starting strength cause its simple and food.

I never liked 5/3/1. Its a program based on long term progress. If your gonna bust your ass why not get the fastest results?

jbrin0tk
03-08-2010, 09:07 PM
But strength is about long term progress. And you'd be surprised how much stronger you could get with 5/3/1 over the short term, too. 5/3/1 is also very simple. All that being said, either would probably be a great choice. They are both solid, proven programs centered around the core lifts.

ELmx479
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
First I would use Starting Strength. Follow it to a T and run that until you stall out and reset 3-5 times then I would run the Texas Method until you stall on that and have to reset a few times then I would use Wendler's 5/3/1 program.

slashkills
03-09-2010, 05:41 AM
But strength is about long term progress. And you'd be surprised how much stronger you could get with 5/3/1 over the short term, too. 5/3/1 is also very simple. All that being said, either would probably be a great choice. They are both solid, proven programs centered around the core lifts.

Strength is about long term progress but why not progress as fast as you can at the same time. Im assuming the original poster is in highschool. Highschool sports are dominated by the strongest or the fastest. What ever gives him the fastest results and can continue to improve over a period of time would be best. Thats just my opinion.

jbrin0tk
03-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Right, but who says 5/3/1 won't give him the fastest results? I made huge progress with 5/3/1 in the shortest amount of time for me ever. I hope that makes sense, lol. I think that both Starting Strength and 5/3/1 are great programs; I just don't think it's fair to say 5/3/1 isn't ideal because it takes longer. There is nothing that says person A will respond better and/or faster with Starting Strength or 5/3/1. They are both great programs and both sound ideal for the OP, again without knowing much about him. I think he should pick one (or something similar) and go with it.

ehopkins932
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
First I would use Starting Strength. Follow it to a T and run that until you stall out and reset 3-5 times then I would run the Texas Method until you stall on that and have to reset a few times then I would use Wendler's 5/3/1 program.

Can't really recommend a program without knowing about the kid. Some people can't squat 3x a week period and if he is moving decent weight it that will be hard as hell on his joints since the program doesnt have deloads built in until you stall. Not saying 5x5 programs aren't good; I used one and it worked well but not everyone can recover from it and I got tendinitis in knees and elbows.

Look into westside for skinny bastards on elitefts.com and westside methods in general...it will give you a decent idea about things. 5/3/1 is a good option as it can be adapted to most people's needs especially if you are still having some practices once/twice a week.

Could you post more info about training history?