PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Marinades

dd2000
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi all,

I don't cook often and I'm not too picky with food...I just can't eat the following food with nothing on it:

Cream of Wheat
Rice
Chicken
Steak
Salmon - not so bad on it's own

Does anyone have any healthy marinades I can use on the above? I tried just lemon on the meat but it's not enough, the food still tastes tasteless. I'm not sure what to add to rice other than sauces which are not very healthy for you. Cream of wheat is disgusting on it's own..not sure what to add to it.

Thanks

Mercuryblade
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
What do you mean by healthy?

There are plenty of things you can do to foods, and healthy is really a relative term depending on the rest of your diet.

For instance, I fry up chicken strips, I make the breading myself and fry them in canola oil. For a person who eats a lot of fat the rest of the day, this additional unneeded fat content would be considered "unhealthy". For someone like myself, this fat is a necessary part of my macro's for the day, and is thus considered "healthy."

SMK41
03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd try using dry seasoning rubs for meats or low calorie vinagrette type dressings (italian, caesar, balsamic, etc) as a marinade. You won't really be adding extra calories this way, just some extra sodium.

Also for a condiment I've been hooked on non-fat greek yogurt lately. It's basically regular yogurt strained so most of the liquid is out of it making it a lot thicker. It has pretty much the same consistency and taste as sour cream. Goes great with chicken, steak, burgers, tacos, pork. It's a really healthy alternative to most sauces/condiments. Here is the nutrition facts for the brand I use.

This info is for an entire 8 oz container which typically takes me several meals to go through.

http://www.voskos.com/ProductsView.html?Products_files/Plain-Non-Fat.jpg

Voskos Non-fat Greek Yogurt
Serving size: 8 oz (you will probably only use 2-3 oz per meal)
Calories: 140
Protein: 24g
Fat: 0g
Carbs: 9g

You can find it near the regular yogurt in most grocery stores.

Basshog
03-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Marinades from the store are high on sodium but most of it is left in the bag anyways so I don't think it's too bad for you.

shipdadip
03-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Vinegar/olive oil and spices of your choice.

wiliamjoan
03-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Hey its grate One of the keys to flavorful, tender grilled meat is the marinade or rub. Using no fats or trace amounts of heart-healthy monounsaturated oils in your marinades is one key to keep excess fats out of the recipe. If you do decide to add a small amount of oil, olive oil and canola oil are excellent choices. Like it.

jony1804
06-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks for sharing nice recipes

princecheck13
07-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Play around with mustards, white and red wine vinegar, balsmic vinegar, raspberries, and use some fresh herbs. you have to play around to get a good base but it is fun, you know what is good and what is not and your food would taste so good having made something yourself.

jaspercarol
08-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Hear her door key to the taste, grilled marinated meat is tender or scrubbing. you have to play to get a good base but it's fun, you know what is good and what is their food and would taste so good that has done something. There are many things you can do to food, and good health is really a relative term depending on the rest of their diet.