PDA

View Full Version : interesting article

Logan
03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19910816

I found this interesting, do you guys agree or disagree with what it says.

AdamBAG
03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Hell, I don't know. I'm not sure how you can say that each lift has a certain "sticking point" considering that all of us have different bodies and lift in different manners. Some get a pull stuck on the floor and other suck at the lockout, for example.

The more somebody throws science at me the more I just want to lift some weights and eat some steak.

Logan
03-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Hell, I don't know. I'm not sure how you can say that each lift has a certain "sticking point" considering that all of us have different bodies and lift in different manners. Some get a pull stuck on the floor and other suck at the lockout, for example.

The more somebody throws science at me the more I just want to lift some weights and eat some steak.

That was kind of what I thinking,

JK1
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM

I agree...

I'm going to ask my wife to pull the full article..... from the abstract, my first impression is its another bull**** study. i need to read the full article, not just the abstract.

SEOINAGE
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Meh, all they dead was measure angles and such to determine that it isn't the same damn lift, doesn't rule out crossover effects of the movement, although you should still be training both of you can. Hell I could have told you the angle and blah blah was different just by looking at people lift, didn't need to do some scientific analysis on it.

Hazerboy
03-11-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree with what they're saying up till the last line:

"The kinematic analysis of the squat and the conventional deadlift indicate that the individual lifts are markedly different (p < 0.01), implying that no direct or specific cross-over effect exists between the individual lifts".

If you're looking for crossover, you should examine the muscles used, not the leverages and hip/joint/knee angles. All they essentially proved is that they're not the same lift, or that you're neural patterns are different for the two. Duh.

Do the same study, for instance, on a an OH press and the bench press, and I'm sure you'll find that the kinematic leverages are completely different and you can quantify this however you want (bar speed, deltoid angle with chest, tricep leverages, etc). Yet well know that there is heavy crossover between the two.

I would be interested in seeing the whole study though.

SELK
03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Its also going to depend greatly on the squat style compared to the deadlift style I would imagine.

I don't think my multiply wide stance squat has much carryover to a conventional deadlift.

A squat like steve goggins, most likely would.