PDA

View Full Version : The role of carbs in protein synthesis?

fixationdarknes
03-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Carbs are mainly and ideally used as the main source of energy right? So as to prevent protein from being used as energy?

Hypothetically, would someone weighing about 150 lbs who is eating 300 grams of protein a day and 100 carbs a day be benefiting less than someone who split it more to about 200 grams/200 grams? I'm just wondering if there's a point where my protein intake for the day has reached a point where it would be just as beneficial or maybe even more beneficial to have the rest of calories in carbs. (Is it even beneficial to have more than 1.25-ish grams of protein per lb. of bodyweight in a day?)

And in this example let's assume fat intake is adequate, around 70 or so grams.

I've always seen carbs as sort of the filler, whereas I see protein and fat as necessary. But I'm starting to wonder now if I've been wrong and that carbs are more important than I make them out to be.

Any input would be appreciated; thanks.

Holto
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't know if there is a causal relationship between carb intake and protein synthesis. I think it simply comes down to total energy intake and other factors like rest.

fixationdarknes
03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Hm I see. Well, is it a waste to eat carbs toward night time long after your workout (I work out in the morning/afternoon)? Would it be more beneficial to be eating lots of fat and protein at this point or are carbs still necessary? I hit my total calories properly, and get adequate protein and fat, but I'm just concerned with the timing of macros (carbs in specific) I suppose.

Holto
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Unless you're doing a diet where your carbs are restricted I wouldn't worry about it. Hit your totals and your body will sort it out.

If you're doing low carb with refeeds or targeting around workout times then that is a different story. There is no reason to not eat carbs in the evening.