PDA

View Full Version : Spud Inc. Bench Belt: USAPL/IPF Legal?

AdamBAG
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Are the Spud Inc. bench belts legal in the IPF/USAPL? I own one and I'm going to bench in a USAPL meet in a few months and I would like to wear the same belt, or at least not buy another one.

Does anyone know? The approved equipment list doesn't really cover belts.

Beverly McD.
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
You may try asking Plillip Wylie, Adam. I think he competes in some of the USAPL meets.

AdamBAG
03-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks Beverly. I believe I asked Phil this question a while back and he was not sure as he competes raw now and doesn't pay attention to the equipment much. I will ask him again though.

Beverly McD.
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Johnny Graham ---- 254-526-0779.
This number was good a year or so ago. If anybody knows Johnny will know.

AdamBAG
03-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Johnny Graham ---- 254-526-0779.
This number was good a year or so ago. If anybody knows Johnny will know.

Thanks!

BloodandThunder
03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Don't quote me on it, but the approved list applies only to wraps, suits and shirts. Things like belts and singlets only need to apply to the specs outlined in the tech rules pg 14: http://powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/IPF_rulebook_05_2009.pdf

I'd contact your meet advisor. They might let it slide, but I'm pretty sure the belt is not "allowed."

Ben F Burgess
03-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah belt manufacturers do NOT have to pay a license fee to the IPF in the same way that shirt/suit manufacturers do...

The only problem i could see with the belt is possibly its fastening...the rulebook says that a belt may have a buckle with one or two prongs or a lever.

It doesnt say it CANT have some mad ring thing, but it doesnt say it can either...

Tom Mutaffis
03-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I do not think that any federation currently allows velcro belts; which would present a problem since that is the fastener for the Spud belt.

AdamBAG
03-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't have an answer yet fellas, but I'll pass it along when I find out.

I do not think that any federation currently allows velcro belts; which would present a problem since that is the fastener for the Spud belt.

Tom, you are allowed to use the Spud bench belts and the deadlift belts in any of the multi-ply federations to my knowledge. I already have one that I've used in APF/SPF.

Cyrus Ford
03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey,

Mike Adelmann sell those on his web site so he probably knows if they are legal or not. Send him an email (mike@liftinglarge.com). He normally responds within the hour.

Tom Mutaffis
03-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Tom, you are allowed to use the Spud bench belts and the deadlift belts in any of the multi-ply federations to my knowledge. I already have one that I've used in APF/SPF.

That is good to know, I was under the impression that all velcro belts were not allowed.

Have you tried calling Marc Bartley? SC Barbell / Spud Inc.'s phone number is (803) 788-2852.

AdamBAG
03-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Hey,

Mike Adelmann sell those on his web site so he probably knows if they are legal or not. Send him an email (mike@liftinglarge.com). He normally responds within the hour.

Cyrus, this is a good idea. I will do this.

That is good to know, I was under the impression that all velcro belts were not allowed.

Have you tried calling Marc Bartley? SC Barbell / Spud Inc.'s phone number is (803) 788-2852.

Tom, I talked to Marc and he said that he has not and will not pay a licensing fee to the IPF, so he assumes that they are not allowed.

AdamBAG
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Mike Adellman says that it is not IPF/USAPL legal, so that's good enough for me. I figure he would know.

90kg_pwrlftr
03-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Velcro closure belts are not legal in the IPF/USAPL.

(d) The belt may have a buckle with one or two prongs or “quick release” type (“quick release” referring to lever.)

These are the only types of closures that are currently permitted.

xukaxuka3
03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't quote me on it, but the approved list applies only to wraps, suits and shirts. Things like belts and singlets only need to apply to the specs outlined in the tech rules pg 14: http://powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/IPF_rulebook_05_2009.pdf

I'd contact your meet advisor. They might let it slide, but I'm pretty sure the belt is not "allowed."

I accept with information: that any federation currently allows velcro belts; which would present a problem since that is the fastener for the Spud belt.