PDA

View Full Version : hormones in food?

peatr99
03-10-2010, 12:51 PM
My sister is on this kick lately becuase of her fiancee about how hormones and chemicals in meat are bad for you. They claim their joints feel better, and that there are other health benefits. I have the feeling they are just turning liberal hippy from living in socal too long. A quick google search brings up studies that say they aren't harmful, not enough to known, or biased sites saying they are bad. any thoughts? I'm not going to stop eating red meat regardless

Holto
03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
When I eat a lot of chicken I get a bizzare ringing in my ear...I can't imagine that is related to anything natural in the chicken.

MadChef
03-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Commercial farms these days are mostly filthy disgusting holes that raise tortured and malnourished livestock and poultry. I'm sure the hormones that they pump into their product do affect the population at some level, but I don't think they are an immediate health concern to you as an individual.

The European Commission Health and Consumer Protection Directorate-General has identified more than a dozen additional studies that raise concern about the safety of the implants, including the possibility they might cause birth defects and changes in sexual development in children. Weighing all the evidence, the European Union (EU) has banned the use of implants. They also refuse to import U.S. beef from animals treated with hormones. Although EU scientists concede there is no clear proof that the implants are harmful to humans, they assert there also is no proof that they are safe. What’s more, they say, Europeans have expressed a clear preference for hormone-free beef, even if no health risks are found. The World Trade Organization, at the urging of the U.S. government, now levies trade sanctions against the EU for closing their doors to U.S. beef.

<http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2008-02-01/What-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Beef-You-Eat.aspx?page=2>

US Beef has been banned in Europe for over 10 years, and it must be for good reason. I'm not a hippy by the way. If anything worries me, its the pesticides and herbicides building up in the bio-sphere. As an athlete, nothing scares me more than the thought of one day finding myself in an invalid state. I know, personally, multiple sclerosis victims who believe they developed their disorder from overexposure to neurological toxins (dioxins, etc...). Also, look at the autism rate. Something has to be causing it, I'm inclined to believe it's our food.

ChristopherG.EU
03-16-2010, 12:58 AM
As an athlete and cooking enthusiast, I do get worried about our meat and veggies from time to time. Having said that, I haven't stopped buying from my favourite stores. I have blood tests done twice per year and all readings are good each time. I tend to think that our seafood is being put under threat more and more too, which is a real pity.

Holto
03-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Just remember supply meats demand. If we continue to buy the cheapest food available, companies will find cheaper ways to produce it.

Most grocery stores now have options that are at least presented as healthier. Grain fed chicken is not the best idea as it's not the animals natural diet but the grain fed stuff that is about 20-30% more expensive just seems cleaner to me. I like to think every time I buy it some marketers bar chart is impacted.

Cmanuel
03-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Hormones in meat..... the scientific community agrees that basically:
Hormonal residues DO show up in meat, but incredibly small amounts (parts per trillion even) that are probably not harmful to the human body. I say PROBABLY not because we can never be 100% sure of the safety of the stuff we put in our food, since we cannot test on humans. This is where scientific animal testing comes in.

One of my professors here is probably the most distinguished professorsresearcher in meat science, and did a huge review article on this very topic recently. I'll have to talk to him today and see if he can provide me with an electronic copy.

Skalami
03-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Did you see that Colbert interview about the organic hoax? Supposedly theirs no real standards for a lot of products labeled Organic... add to that, that Free Range and Organic foods are booming big in the grocery store and you have a TON of existing meat suppliers making the smallest changes possible so that they can label their products "free range, organic or hormone free"

Ive read that the estrogen we give cows to produce more milk are known to leak into the milk and god forbid the cow is pregnant or around that time of the month while giving milk then the levels rise to a really significant level.

You cant win....

i would even bet our Whey comes from sources that arent the best out there

then again if i found out that the testosterone they give some animals for bigger cuts of beef leak into our own bodies... i would probably eat more meat. Kinda sick huh?

JK1
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Did you see that Colbert interview about the organic hoax? Supposedly theirs no real standards for a lot of products labeled Organic... add to that, that Free Range and Organic foods are booming big in the grocery store and you have a TON of existing meat suppliers making the smallest changes possible so that they can label their products "free range, organic or hormone free"

Ive read that the estrogen we give cows to produce more milk are known to leak into the milk and god forbid the cow is pregnant or around that time of the month while giving milk then the levels rise to a really significant level.

You cant win....

i would even bet our Whey comes from sources that arent the best out there

then again if i found out that the testosterone they give some animals for bigger cuts of beef leak into our own bodies... i would probably eat more meat. Kinda sick huh?

You just hit the nail right on the head. My parents own a relatively large family farm for the area , we produced several thousand head of hogs per year when I was a kid and currently run probably 300 head of cows with a few thousand acres of grain.

The farm took a financial pounding in the 1980's with the weather, and in the 1990's with the ridiculous open market prices. At that time they started looking into what exactly needed to be done to get certified Organic. In the end, they decided to not do it because the changes in production that were being done were minimal, but the cost for paying into the certification was, in their opinion, significant for what they were producing. Basically it was a piece of paper, nothing else. But it was an expensive piece of paper in their opinion.

In terms of environmental estrogens... I used to do research on pesticide and chemical residues affecting reproductive systems. This was in the 1990's, almost 20 years ago. At that time it was determined that there are significant chemical residues on certian vegetable products and in the processing of canned and plastic products. BisphenolA and DDT were hot items back then, causing major reproductive hormone effects. These were much, much higher than anything even remotely related to the intake from meat products. And don't forget, just becuase DDT is illegal in the US, China, India, and many SE Asian countries and some South American still produce it by thousands of tons a year. Remember, the US imports quite a bit of food items from those parts of the world.

Not only that, but despite this knowledge being available 15 years ago, BisphenolA didn't hit mainstream media until 2 years ago, and it has yet to be completely removed from the plastics market, we just more or less have a warning label. Remember, this is a compound used on everything from the lining of canned goods to baby bottles to sports bottles to soda containers to plastic food storage containers. Thats the stuff I'd be afraid of, not meat.