PDA

View Full Version : are longer or more tabata intervals beneficial?

peatr99
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
My work capacity has dramatically increased these days. I am thinking of increasing the tabata in one of 3 ways:
-longer than 20 second intervals
-more intervals than 8
-doing 2 separate tabatas back to back with a rest period in between.

is this more beneficial than just normal 20/10 4 minute and if so which one would be best for fat loss and/or conditioning

VikingWarlord
03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Longer intervals would no longer be Tabata.

That said, just do more of them. I think this came up elsewhere very recently but I can't remember where.

peatr99
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
ok well regardless of what its called, i was just wondering if more = better or if it was set up in such a way that it avoids overtraining or going into the muscle burning range

Steve Colescott
03-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Why not go with heavier Tabatas? The original Tabata research showed that they were effective because of the level of intensity. A longer than 20 second interval would indicate that there was a decrease in intensity (a heavy enough weight will LIMIT you to twenty seconds). More intervals than eight or two series of Tabatas would probably not have a greater metabolic/fat burning effect. Is fat burning your goal? If so, then those two adjustments would not help you. Is extreme strength endurance or MMA-type conditioning your goal? in that case, those two (more than eight intervals or more than one series) might be a good idea.

I would recommend doing more frequent Tabatas (i.e. six days a week, incorporating a different exercise). If you build up to using 225 for front squats one day and 60-pound dumbbells for power cleans the next and the same weight for squat thrusts the third, you would be in pretty deadly condition.

mike mcgee
03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Peatr99,

What tabata workout are you doing, Pull-ups, Push-ups, Sit-up, Air Squats? You can try adding a weight vest, maybe 20lbs and then go up from there. Don't mess with the interval times, because as stated above by the others, it would no longer be Tabata.

peatr99
03-11-2010, 09:11 AM
ok thanks for the replys, I realize that unless its the exact protocol its no longer tabata. I guess what my question is, does altering it to make it longer make it more beneficial? So far the answer seems to be no.

Sensei
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Context. It all depends on goals and need. I don't think there's anything necessarily magical about :20 on, :10 off x 8. It's an interval. Modify as you see fit.