PDA

View Full Version : How to know how much carb/prot to intake at workout time?

fixationdarknes
03-11-2010, 01:18 AM
---edit (Can someone just critique my pre/post workout nutrition please?)

if applicable:
(3 hours before weight/HIIT training)
-2 PB egg sandwiches on english muffins (470 cals)

470 calories, 25.5g fat, 32g carb, 26g protein

WEIGHT TRAINING DAYS
(1 hour before)
-1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup milk (195 cals)
-1 slice of raisin bread (130 cals)
-1 scoop whey with water (195 cals)

455 calories, 7g fat, 61.g carb, 37.5g protein

---
HIIT DAYS (at the moment my HIIT sessions consist of 12 cycles of 6/9 seconds)
(1 hour before)
-1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup milk (190 cals)
-1/2 slice raisin bread (65 cals)
-1 scoop of whey with water (130 cals)

390 calories, 6g fat, 49g carbs, 35.5 g protein

Immediately after weight/HIIT training
-1 scoop of whey with 1 cup skim milk w/ a bit of dextrose added in

About 20-30 minutes after, I begin to eat meals such as chicken sandwiches, turkey sausage muffins, etc.

Does that sound okay?

Also, I do realize that it depends on the context of the rest of my diet. I suppose a typical day was like today: 2378 calories, 74.6g fat, 197.1g carb, 230.6g protein. I weigh about 156 lbs and am currently aiming to eat around maintenance calories.

Allen Cress
03-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Honestly you are complicating things way too much. Once you determine your calorie intake just spread that evenly through the day over 5-6 meals and eat every 2-4 hours. Simplicity is key. But stick with as much unproccessed food as possible and go with high quality.

fixationdarknes
03-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Well, but isn't it important to have proper nutrition around workout time to have good workouts? =/

Holto
03-11-2010, 10:05 AM
It takes 48hrs to replenish glycogen. If your diet is not on in general, no sugar rush is going to prepare you to battle with iron.

fixationdarknes
03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
So does that mean eating carbs at night before I go to bed (I lift in the mornings) isn't a waste since those carbs will still work toward replenishing glycogen and used as energy for my workouts the following days?

Off Road
03-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Honestly you are complicating things way too much. Once you determine your calorie intake just spread that evenly through the day over 5-6 meals and eat every 2-4 hours. Simplicity is key. But stick with as much unproccessed food as possible and go with high quality.

Well, but isn't it important to have proper nutrition around workout time to have good workouts? =/

So does that mean eating carbs at night before I go to bed (I lift in the mornings) isn't a waste since those carbs will still work toward replenishing glycogen and used as energy for my workouts the following days?

Read what Allen wrote again...You're stressing over the details and missing the big picture.

fixationdarknes
03-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Alrighty then. Thanks everyone.

Holto
03-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Precisely.

fixationdarknes
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks.

On lifting days I take about 28g dex and 23g protein pre-workout, with about 18g dex and 35g whey post-workout. This seems fine and all I suppose (even though most articles I've read seem to recommend about 50g carbs pre and 50g carbs post), but on HIIT days I am currently only doing 14 cycles of 6/9 second sprint intervals (increasing duration every workout though), and I somehow don't think the amount of carbs I eat on lifting days are necessary here. I even have trouble drinking my post-workout shake. Makes me feel kind of sick/full. I just don't know how many carbs pre and post workout is too little or how many is too much. I don't think about my other meals too specifically as they are split up fairly evenly, but around workout time I really would like to know if what I'm doing is too little or too much. Any input?