PDA

View Full Version : Skim Milk?

The J-Man
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Alright so I've heard and read countless times that many people drink skim milk to aid in bulking, but why is this? I always thought that whole milk would be of more use with it's higher fat percentage. Or is it because of it's very low percentage of fat that skim milk is used for bulking? Thanks :)

Mercuryblade
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Alright so I've heard and read countless times that many people drink skim milk to aid in bulking, but why is this? I always thought that whole milk would be of more use with it's higher fat percentage. Or is it because of it's very low percentage of fat that skim milk is used for bulking? Thanks :)

It depends on how you're bulking.
Protein to calorie ratio is going to be better with skim, but if you are just going for straight up calories then whole milk is a better choice.

nejar462
03-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Plus its easy to add fat to skim milk by dropped in some peanut butter, its harder to 'subtract' fat from whole milk.

I usually drink 2%, as I like to have the increase in fat in my diet.

tnathletics2b
03-12-2010, 05:54 AM
Be careful with the whole/2% milk thing. I started drinking half a gallon of 2% a day in order to add some calories and protein. Before I started I had my LDL cholesterol tested and it was at 128, a very respectable number. Four months later while still chugging on the milk I had my annual physical and the doctor came back and told me that my LDL was at 180 which is considered high. So, my LDL went up 52 points in four months from drinking the milk. The rest of my diet was clean- chicken, fruits, veggies, etc. The milk was the only variable.

One caveat is that both my parents have high cholesterol which means that I am more susceptible to having it myself. However, I have started drinking skim milk and my LDL is coming back down.

Check out the attached picture of the comparison of the different types of milk (from fitday.com) if you drink a half gallon a day.

J.C.
03-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Depends on body type. If you can bulk easily, then skim is where its at it because it contains more protein. If you find it hard to down enough calories because you have a fast metabolism then you need all the help you can get: go for whole milk.

tna makes a good point though. There is controversy over dietary cholesterol increasing blood cholesterol. Some people it does, some it doesn't. If you have a history of high cholesterol in your family it might be worth cutting out some dietary cholesterol. I would really like to have blood work done one day as I eat a fairly high fat diet and I'd like to know the effects.

pillsbury
03-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Take into consideration milk is highly insulinogenic although it has a low glycemic index it produces a high insulin release. After doing some research I now limit milk to morning and after workouts

Mercuryblade
03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
"milk is for babies"

-Arnold

Bosch232
03-15-2010, 08:41 PM
"milk is for babies"

-Arnold

This doesn't really add to the thread much, but as a side note I find it surprising that milk is on par with sugared soda pop when comparing calories per oz.

Skalami
03-23-2010, 07:12 AM
If you like Milk (and Milk likes you) drink-a the milk. Ive read a study though were babies/toddlers were given full fat milk vs some given skim milk. The full fat milk crowd actually lost weight (or didnt gain as much) compared with the skim milk crowd... the researches guess its from the fuller feeling you get from full fat milk.

peteraugusts
03-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I drink nothing but skim milk for the most part, and now any milk that isn't skim tastes weird to me. But I think that's just what I've gotten used to. I can't really think of a reason you'd use it other than because you are trying to get more protein with less saturated fat. Nothing tastes better with skim milk than with milk that contains milkfat, as the entire benefit of skim is the calorie savings that comes from skimming out the fat.