PDA

View Full Version : Protein consumption during cutting

Bosch232
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I've gained about 10 pounds since Christmas. My guess is that about 6-7 is lean, and the rest is fat on the gut. I'd like to cut the fat before summer. I realize by most standards this is not much of a gain or cut, but I'm happy to have gained ANY lean mass, so just humor me. I have a longer-range goal, but that begins next fall.

During my gain I was striving for 200 g of protein per day (following the 1 g per pound of bodyweight principal). Does that philosophy remain during a cutback on overall calories?

tom183
03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I would keep protein intake around the 1g per pound of bodyweight mark.

Bosch232
03-12-2010, 05:06 AM
I guess a broader question is, do macros change much?

Holto
03-12-2010, 09:19 AM
I guess a broader question is, do macros change much?

I'm guessing you mean percentages?

Bosch232
03-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm guessing you mean percentages?

Yeah.

Edit: Actually, after reading some of what Chris Mason wrote in this thread, perhaps I'm over-thinking it.
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?21072-Who-do-HIT-(Arthur-Jones-HIT)-!

VikingWarlord
03-13-2010, 10:03 AM
If you're looking for the traditional way to do it, keep protein high, keep fats relatively high, and do carbs around training only.

At 200gP, that's still only accounting for 800kCal. Fill the rest with whatever you want as long as you don't go over the requirement.

Irish Pilot
03-13-2010, 02:40 PM
If you're looking for the traditional way to do it, keep protein high, keep fats relatively high, and do carbs around training only.

At 200gP, that's still only accounting for 800kCal. Fill the rest with whatever you want as long as you don't go over the requirement.

Agreed. Personally I reduce carb intake to mornings (around my workout) only. As carbs taper off in the morning, fats come up to help keep hunger down. Overall for me, proteins are high, fats are moderate, and carbs relatively low by most standards.

SMK41
03-13-2010, 06:10 PM
I'd keep protein at 1g per lbs to help maintain lean body mass. To reduce overall calories for a cut just cut back on a combination of carbs and fat.

ElCangri787
03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
when i started cutting i was doing the atkins & i stopped cuz i was so dead by the 3rd day..but now wat i do is i try to follow the basic atkins rule more protein than carbs..now im not talkin about like that super w.e name protein when i cut i usually take Isolated Protein or Whey combined with natural protein sorces like chicken, fish ect.

wat i would do is have eggs in the morning mayb protein shake for lunch, work out 1-2 hrs then protein shake for recovery purposes then dinner i wud have steak or fish, burgers(with out bread)
i wud have bread once in a while...also no sodas...

but yea protein while cuttin in my opinion is good just take sum regular whey or isolated protein

Mick Manley
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
id up the protein while cutting.