PDA

View Full Version : I gained weight with a rather low calorie diet, hmm...

fixationdarknes
03-12-2010, 06:41 AM
I weighed myself a week or two ago, and weighed in at about 155.5 lbs. Today I weighed 158.5 lbs. Both weighed in the morning after waking up before eating. My maintenance calorie level is supposedly about 2700, and I believed that to be true because I used to bulk on about 3400-3600 calories and was expectedly making gains about 1 lb. a week or so. But this past week I've been eating about 2000 calories a day. Pretty low, but I wanted to test a few things and see if my maintenance level shown on fitday was correct. I would have expected to have lost a lb. or two, but I've read on the scale that I gained 3 lbs.

-I did recently start lifting again after a hiatus of many years (would that have anything to do with it)
-Could it well be water weight as I've been drinking a good amount of water?

If not, I have no idea what's going on. I'm simply just looking for a good target calorie goal for myself. I want to eat at around maintenance right now, possibly slightly higher, but I didn't expect that I'd have gained weight by eating so little. And I'm quite certain my calorie tracking was precise, I'm very specific about measurements.

Daniel Roberts
03-12-2010, 08:17 AM
You sure are asking a lot of questions, but I'll bite. The first scenario is your maintenance level is a lot lower than you think it is - if you're gaining weight then it's not your maintenance.

The second scenario is that you're underestimating what you eat and drink day in day out e.g. you weighed yourself a 'week or two ago'. There's a 7 day period there that could be unaccounted for.
You say for the last week you've been on 2000kcal per day but if you weighed yourself 2 weeks ago what was your intake in the previous week?
Either way you're overeating, you're not an X-File. Stick with 2000kcal rigidly for 2 weeks and then see where you're at and adjust accordingly, up or down.

Holto
03-12-2010, 08:40 AM
The best thing you could do right now is determine your maintenance calories by aiming to not lose or gain and track things as accurately as possible for a few weeks. Anytime I see 'about x number of calories' I consider it a shot in the dark.

fixationdarknes
03-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Well, I have been pretty accurate. What I mean by about 2000 is it's been 1800 some days, 2200 others, exactly 2000 some days. And I didn't mean to make it sound like I only tracked my cals for the second week. I'll try to remain as accurately as possible on 2000 though and see what happens on another weigh-in. Thanks guys.

Joe Black
03-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I agree with Daniel in that if you weighed yourself a week or two ago and now you're a bit heavier. you may have gained some of that weight on week 1 and perhaps on week 2 you maintained your weight. The variables are not consistent enough to say whether 2,000 is your maintainence or not.

Also it's entirely normal for some weeks to have abnormal results. I have gone from 215 to 180 in the last 9 months or so and some of those weeks my weight either went up or stayed the same and I was a little confused, but then the next week things would drop again. Sometimes these blips happen and you have to take a long term, consistent approach to the whole thing and not get freaked out or make adjustments on just some unexpected results in one week.

Lastly. I'm not even that suprised that 2,000 calories has you gaining. Bear in mind I weigh 180 and right now I am averaging 2,000 calories a day and doing 4 hours of cardio a week and my weight is dropping slowly (1-2lbs a week) but some weeks I stay the same. If I am finding it tough to drop weight @ 180 with 2,000 cals and 4 hours of cardio, you maintaining or gaining weight @ 155 with 2,000 calories a day doesn't seem so odd does it?

fixationdarknes
03-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah I suppose it makes sense. What I've been realizing though lately is that back when I was bulking on around 3500+ calories a day, I was in high school and walking around from class to class going all the way across the campus so many times a day, and then running around with my friends and crap (well not literally running, but as opposed to sitting here in my room playing guitar and piano and video games all day haha). I'll keep at it, thanks everyone.