PDA

View Full Version : Jim Wendel 5-3-1

EssJay
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
First time poster on WBB. I am a non-competitive raw lifter who prefers more of a powerlifting style of training, and I was looking at Jim Wendel's 5-3-1 routine. I'm hoping that some of you could provide me with some feedback on that if you've already gone through it. I really like how that routine tapers to a single max every 3-4 weeks (depending on whether or not I need to include that deload week). If I have it right, the routines is structured like this:

WEEK 1 - 3x5 @ 85%
WEEK 2 - 3x3 @ 90%
WEEK 3 - 1x5, 1x3, 1x1 @ 95%
WEEK 4 - Deload (optional?)

I was also thinking about making this a 4-day routine:

MON - Squat
TUE - Bench
THU - Deadlift
FRI - Military

Any obvious flaws in the plan?

AdamBAG
03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Buy the book man. That's the best suggestion that I can give you. It's a very good routine for raw lifting, whether you compete or not.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I can tell you that the percentages you are using are not correct. If you had the book, Jim Wendler discusses 2, 3, and 4 day a week programs.

You can download it for $20. It's a good investment.

ehubbard
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM
It's Jim Wendler.

Buy the book. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

EssJay
03-12-2010, 04:10 PM
It's Jim Wendler.

Buy the book. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976

Sorry. I didn't mean to butcher his name. Thanks for the link!

Sean S
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
You don't have the %'s correct. You only do one set at the top % each workout. You have two sets of lower %'s that lead up to the top set. You also have to remember that the %'s are applied to 90% of your actual max. I'm not going to run down the entire program here, but you should research some more or, even better, buy the book (it's worth it).
It is a very good program if you run it correctly.

ehopkins932
03-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Great program, Ive been using it for a while and been making great progress. Very adaptable to your goals and schedule. As far as the deload, take it. You might not be feeling over trained after 4 weeks, but after 8, especially since you are upping the pounds, you will most likely start to feel it. The program is about progress over time, keep that in mind.

Buy the book, good luck!

Brian C
03-13-2010, 09:32 AM
A lot of guys, including myself, are currently using the program. Your totally off on the structure of the program, so like everyone else suggested, by the book. You'll be quite happy you did because of all the info it contains on different accessory routines also. No one is going to lay out the program for you on here since its taken money out of Jim's pocket, but once you buy it and read it, everyone will be more than happy to help you along with questions about it. Id also suggest to browse through the members log section and check out how others are training with the program to get an idea of what you may want to do with it. Best of luck and welcome to the forums :)

EssJay
03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys....the book has been purchased and downloaded. I see that he offers quite a few alternatives in here. I work for the U.S. Army and I have access to a good gym here on site Monday through Friday, so I am deciding if a 3 or 4-day routine would work best for me. I have been doing a 5x5 routine for the past 8 weeks so I'm due for a week off next week. I'd like to get started on the 5-3-1 when I get going again the following Monday.

StLRPh
03-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Feel free to shoot me a PM with your email if you want a spreadsheet of the program to use. Good luck with it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

martin
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I am a non-competitive raw lifter who prefers more of a powerlifting style of training, and I was looking at Jim Wendel's 5-3-1 routine.

Is that Mr Wendal?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wyDjRd0Tjss&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wyDjRd0Tjss&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Buy the book from elitefts.com!

Brian C
03-13-2010, 03:58 PM
^^^^^That was so dam funny Martin hahahaha^^^^^^^^

AdamBAG
03-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys....the book has been purchased and downloaded. I see that he offers quite a few alternatives in here. I work for the U.S. Army and I have access to a good gym here on site Monday through Friday, so I am deciding if a 3 or 4-day routine would work best for me. I have been doing a 5x5 routine for the past 8 weeks so I'm due for a week off next week. I'd like to get started on the 5-3-1 when I get going again the following Monday.

Good choice man. IMO this will be a good lifting program to go with all the PT conditioning you likely already have to do. Plus gym keeps it simple and you can do the program in any gym.

Cmanuel
03-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Badass program. Its currently putting hair on my chest and weight on my lifts

EssJay
03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Well I'm definitely going to give it a go...I'm just deciding on how to best structure my program. I am dedicated to gaining as much strength as possible in 6 lifts: the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Front Squat, Press (overhead), and the Power Clean.

I am considering a 3-day per week routine focusing on one of these mains lifts each session over 2-week cycles. So it would look something like this:

WEEK 1
Mon - Squat
Wed - Bench
Fri - Deadlift

WEEK 2
Mon - Front Squat
Wed - OH Press
Fri - Power Clean

This 2-week cycle would be trained in the 3x5, then I would repeat with a 3x3 over the next 2 weeks, and then concluding with the 1x5, 1x3, 1x1 in the final 2 weeks. Deload weeks possibly inserted every 3rd week.

Any glaring issues?

StLRPh
03-15-2010, 06:57 AM
I'd suggest following the program as written. You can use front squat as accessory work for the squat and power cleans for deadlift day. Getting strong on the four main lifts will certainly carry over to the others.

Cricket_Fire
03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Deffinatly agree with the guy above me; nothing wrong with doing fronties and power cleans as assistance work on the other days. I've even been doing olympic lifting on my "off days" from 5/3/1 (deffinatly not for everyone; been working well for me though)