PDA

View Full Version : Warming up your lower back for heavy pulling

Brian C
03-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey guys. Looking for some ways that everyone gets their lower back ready for heavy pulling(or squatting for that matter). Mine has been just stiff as a board lately and seems to be zapping my speed tremendously. I know I dont warm up properly, so just need some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Travis Bell
03-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Light stretching, foam rolling and some reverse hypers always seems to do the trick for me

huskybear
03-13-2010, 09:03 AM
http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html

scroll down to the agile 8 section... I use this warm-up and made a tremendous difference in my preperation for squat and dead days... got a good sweat going without sapping energy for the work ahead....

Hope this helps bro

IronDiggy
03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
When doing deads I generally start with light stiff legged deadlifts and letting my back stretch a little at the bottom.

Sidior
03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I always do some light squatting before I deadlift. I find it warms me up very well and also gets my quads firing better. Oh plus all the normal warmup stuff.

Sean S
03-13-2010, 09:58 AM
My warm up usually includes BW RDL's, BW SQ (pausing in the deep position for an extra stretch), a set of 45 degree back raises, and some leg swings. If I feel particularly tight or stiff I will also do some foam rolling prior to all the warm-up stuff.

Nicky
03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I always do some light squatting before I deadlift. I find it warms me up very well and also gets my quads firing better.

that is a great idea.

Lones Green
03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Yup, some dynamic stretching, foam rolling, and CNS priming would be a great idea.

ehopkins932
03-13-2010, 12:12 PM
As mentioned, foam rolling definitely helps. I do the stiffs to warm up like someone suggested above. Banded GMs with like a purple do the trick really well too.

BoAnderson71
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Defrancos Agile 8. all you need is a little space, a foam roller and a tennis ball.

MikeWilliams
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Yup, some dynamic stretching, foam rolling, and CNS priming would be a great idea.

I don't know what any of these are? what is dynamic/foam rolling/ or cns priming?

Lones Green
03-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't know what any of these are? what is dynamic/foam rolling/ or cns priming?

Google!

Actually there was an article here on the site lately about dynamic warmups...should be at the top of the page

robchris
03-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Brian,

In addition to all the aforementioned, dont forget the "Icy Hot" bro... Always helps me get warmed-up quicker!

RC

Brian C
03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys. Really great ideas you've all mentioned. I'll be sure to incorporate them in my routine. Thanks again!

Hazerboy
03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
If you just want to get blood flowing to the desired areas, I usually do some rowing on the machine for a minute or two. Gets a nice pump all through my back if done correctly. Doesn't do squat for the CNS though.

NickAus
03-13-2010, 07:12 PM
I like to do 1 set of backraises then 2 sets of abs before heavy pulls, and a little stretching.

Mick Manley
03-13-2010, 08:43 PM
all these responses reminds me of the powerlifter talking to the strongman. Maybe its just me, but i just do the normal warmup for squats and deads and im fine?

Brian Hopper
03-13-2010, 08:48 PM
When I squat, my warm ups usually consist of wall squats, some torso twists with a broom stick, or sometimes goodmornings with bands. When I deadlift, I pretty much do the same just minus the wall squats. Sometimes I will do 1-2 sets of some stiff legged deadlifts to warm up alittle better. I do throw in some foam rolling but I usually do those at my house.

Sean S
03-14-2010, 06:57 AM
all these responses reminds me of the powerlifter talking to the strongman. Maybe its just me, but i just do the normal warmup for squats and deads and im fine?

How old are you? I found the older I get (and I'm only 35) the more attention I have to give my warm-ups. When I was younger I rarely really warmed-up for anything and did just fine. If I'm in a time crunch, I can get by just doing a couple extra sets with the bar or 1 plate.
I do understand what you are saying though. If I can't get my "normal" warm-up in, I can still function. I just choose to do the more thorough warm-up if I have the option.

AdamBAG
03-14-2010, 07:14 AM
I like to do a few minutes on a cardio machine or pull the sled. Then do a quick set of exercises from "magnificent mobility," then stretch the back, groing hams and do some foam rollling. I usually do sets of squat with the bar in between.

I've also had more luck pulling after squatting. Weight might be limited, but I'm totally warm that way.