PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the squat

abbcccxyyzzz
03-14-2010, 03:58 AM
For some reason, I always lean very forward when I am in the hole for squats. Also, at the bottom of a squat I have absolutely no rebound and just get buried every time. It is almost as if my legs are springs that compress and stay there.

PS I prefer to squat very wide. I hurt my ankles and cannot squat anything closer than shoulder width which in any case I just do a good morning if I dont go straight down with it.

Thanks

NickAus
03-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Good mornings and heavy abs should help with falling forward but as with any lift technique may be the issue.

AdamBAG
03-14-2010, 06:44 AM
If you are squatting wide with a low bar position then you will lean a lot. If you are going to squat wide, try moving th bar positin up high on your traps. That may keep you more upright.

muscle_g
03-14-2010, 06:44 AM
If you have access to one start doing Safety-Squat Bar Squats. The SSB will make your body try to lean forward, so in other words you have to train yourself to stay upright and it will also strengthen the muscles that keep you upright.

ehopkins932
03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
If you can't your back arched, then the GMs and core work will help a lot like people said above. I squat similarly (wider stance) and also have a sticking point out of the hole. The biggest thing that has made my squat go up was quad strength, a lot of High Bar Olympic squats with a bit narrower stance (as narrow as you could go w/o ankle pain). Front squats helped too. I did the quad movement for 3 sets of 6-8 after squatting and GMs for the same rep scheme after DLs.

Sean S
03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
It could be technique, it could be a muscle weakness, or both. It's nearly impossible to tell without video. Carrying the bar higher (which has already been suggested) will keep you more upright. Anything else is tough without seeing what you are doing.
In general, if you are rounding over in the hole, you need to strengthen your back and midsection to stay upright. If you have a forward lean in the hole, but maintain your arch and simply fail to come up, you need more leg strength (could be quads, hamstrings, glutes, or all of them).

BoAnderson71
03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Do some box squats, that should help with the issue of coming out of the hole. If you have bands do some reverse band squats. At the bottom the load is light and you could even make the weight zero depending on the bands and weights used. As you go up the weight will start increasing to the top, at the top the weight will be the most. This will teach you the explosion you need to get out of the hole.

ScottYard
03-14-2010, 01:15 PM
How wide are your hands on the bar, If they are collar to collar it may be too wide for you. I had this issue and corrected it by bringing my hands in 6-8inches. This allows me to arch harder.

fpr
03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Could it be a flexibility issue? When you lay down flat on the floor are you able to bring your leg up to at least a 90 degree angle while maintaining the other hip on the floor?

For me it's a combination of lack of flexibility and strength I believe. When I start to come out of the hole, I've noticed that I instinctively want to lean forward to use my quads more, opposed to drive straight up. Which leads me to believe that I have relatively weak hamstrings/glutes compared to my quads.

hoot
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
he does know skwat. very imformative. sounds like #s 1, 4, 5, 21 may be of interest to you.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C03D688F10C4DE1F&page=1

abbcccxyyzzz
03-21-2010, 01:23 AM
I think its my poor flexibility in my ankles. When I do arch my back with a closer stance, I always tend to fall backwards. Literally in the hole, I drift backwards like the leaning tower of pisa! haha

I have very strong abs. I invented quite a few exercises to just to challenge myself. I do heavy zercher sit-ups (done it only about 10x and got up to 600 lbs) but I have not lifted weights since last year because of school. I also do the standing ab slide (standing on a box (~1.5-2 feet) and that one is quite intense as well.

I find myself being all hamstrings and no quads in terms of strength. When I used to do sprints, I had the reverse problem of most people such that I end up straining my quads! haha Every hamstring machine I ever tried, I was able to do the whole stack with plates added to it one-legged (curls).

Thanks for the input!