PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting training routine/split

TheRealDeal930
03-14-2010, 09:52 PM
hey guys, im 18 years old and have competed in 3 powerlifting meets with the ADAU. I am looking to get more seriously involved in powerlifting. I currently train with my cousin who is a competitive bodybuilder doing a bodybuilders routine. I do chest monday, legs tuesday, arms wednesday, back thursday, ahd shoulders friday. I want to start doing more of a powerlifting split focusing on the 3 lifts with higher volume on training days. I was thinking bench chest tri's on monday, sumo deadlift hams glutes and back tuesday, squat quads on friday, abs cardio saturday, and light cardio wednesday thursday. Not sure how switching to that routine would work. Any thoughts, advice, or different split would be greatly appreciated.

jtteg_x
03-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Are your plans to do a 3 lift, push-pull or single lift meet?

TheRealDeal930
03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Are your plans to do a 3 lift, push-pull or single lift meet?

I prefer the push pull meets but i'd like to squat just in case I do a full meet.

StLRPh
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Here are some options in no particular order:
Wendler's 5/3/1
Sheiko
Westside
Texas Method
Block Periodization

Good luck,

BloodandThunder
03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
While your buddy is a BBer and that structure will work for him since lifting is a means to an end for BBers, you can follow a similar structure but need to have some basic programming (volume/intensity/rep scheme waving) and some reasoning behind what you as a PLer need to do.

Say as a PLer, you're going to compete in three meets/year. That's roughly 17 weeks per meet you get to prepare ideally. This is similar to how he trains where he might do two shows in a year, and spends a good deal of the time bulking (doing more heavy compounds to build muscle) and a good deal of time cutting (leaning out and defining). Whereas you would build a base and then work your way up to the point where you have succeeded your 1RM's hopefully on meet day. How you do this is met through which program you do and how that program peaks you. The above options (5/3/1, westside style, texas method, etc) have been proven time and time again.

However, since you work out with someone else, having a similar structure to his would suit you. For this reason, the 5/3/1 might work well. Bench, Mil Press, Squat, DL days can be used while your BBer friend does chest, shoulder, leg, and back days. Challenge each other and set some goals, maybe irk him on to doing one of your meets. Either way, now is a good time to learn about different programs, even ones you don't run. Knowing about things like Prilepin's table will only help you.

TheRealDeal930
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Here are some options in no particular order:
Wendler's 5/3/1
Sheiko
Westside
Texas Method
Block Periodization

Good luck,

Thanks man, I never heard of the Sheiko method. I looked into it and it seems pretty intense. I printed a log of the 4 week workout and I think i'm gonna give it a shot starting next monday.

TheRealDeal930
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
However, since you work out with someone else, having a similar structure to his would suit you. For this reason, the 5/3/1 might work well. Bench, Mil Press, Squat, DL days can be used while your BBer friend does chest, shoulder, leg, and back days. Challenge each other and set some goals, maybe irk him on to doing one of your meets. Either way, now is a good time to learn about different programs, even ones you don't run. Knowing about things like Prilepin's table will only help you.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna start the Sheiko method monday so i guess I will work out on my own for the next month. I have looked into Prilepin's table and will use the principles learned when I go back to training with a partner

Ben F Burgess
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks man, I never heard of the Sheiko method. I looked into it and it seems pretty intense. I printed a log of the 4 week workout and I think i'm gonna give it a shot starting next monday.
Please dont start the Sheiko 4 day CMS routine.

With your lifts and experience it will kill you to death in a couple of weeks.

Head on over to the Sheiko training forum and try one of Dave Bates' 13wk Beginner Routines (either eqp or uneqp)

http://bmfsports.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sheiko

gatorman2k6
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Head on over to the Sheiko training forum and try one of Dave Bates' 13wk Beginner Routines (either eqp or uneqp)

http://bmfsports.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sheiko

I agree with Ben. I'm currently in week 8 of the program and it is great.

TheRealDeal930
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM

I don't think i'm that inexperienced, but maybe I should do a less advanced routine first. I was looking at the classifications on http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sheiko_shakes_up_powerlifting and I fell into level 1 at 148 (weight class I compete in) which is only 1 level short of CMS. Is there a level 1 routine, or one that is in between CMS and beginner?

StLRPh
03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/

Give this a look. You may want to start a thread in the powerlifting section called Shieko to get more people looking at your questions.

gatorman2k6
03-16-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't think i'm that inexperienced, but maybe I should do a less advanced routine first. I was looking at the classifications on http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sheiko_shakes_up_powerlifting and I fell into level 1 at 148 (weight class I compete in) which is only 1 level short of CMS. Is there a level 1 routine, or one that is in between CMS and beginner?

I'm no expert, since this is my first time using Sheiko, but there are a bunch of rated lifter programs, the most popular being 29 and 37. Ben suggested that you try Dave's program because it is less intense than the CMS program and the thing with Sheiko is getting your GPP/work capacity up to the level to handle all the volume. I'd check the forum that Ben posted since it is focused on Sheiko and has tons of great info. I can answer some questions, but I've learned everything I know from Athos on this forum, who has a log here too. If you don't want to do the beginner routine, I'd suggest doing 29, 37,32. That would be 12 weeks consisting of 8 prep weeks and 4 weeks to peak for a meet or max attempt.

robchris
03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Texas and a general linear periodization routines are a good start... I did the 5-3-1 for a while and then went w/ the WSB-conjugate method.

I haven't looked back after trying WSB! Its more advanced but once you feel you're ready give it a shot... You wont be disappointed!

Good luck,
RC

patos
03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
You seem to have gotten pretty strong training with your bodybuilder friend, I think you might want to stick to what you were doing...

Ben F Burgess
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Yes the routine i suggested is ideal for a level 1 thats why i suggested it ;)

TheRealDeal930
03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
You seem to have gotten pretty strong training with your bodybuilder friend, I think you might want to stick to what you were doing...

I will go back to training with him eventually for sure. I just wanted to do a short program (4-6 weeks) because he has started to lift differently for his upcoming show. He's actually stronger than me at a bodyweight of around 145 for his show, so training that way definetely works. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photo/5170721 That picture is 7 weeks out

TheRealDeal930
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes the routine i suggested is ideal for a level 1 thats why i suggested it ;)
I just don't want to be on a 13 week program. I was just looking for something for 4-6 weeks while my cousin prepares for his show and then go back to training with him

Ben F Burgess
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I just don't want to be on a 13 week program. I was just looking for something for 4-6 weeks while my cousin prepares for his show and then go back to training with him

try #37 then. You arnt going to see any amazing gains off ANY 4 wk program though IMO you need to think about the long game.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/Sheiko37.htm

TheRealDeal930
03-17-2010, 02:00 PM
try #37 then. You arnt going to see any amazing gains off ANY 4 wk program though IMO you need to think about the long game.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/Sheiko37.htm

I think it will benefit me a little bit to try a new routine for a month or so. I've been doing basically the same routine for over a year. Maybe switching things up will jumpstart some new progress. Muscle confusion?

Thanks for putting the link to #37. I'm gonna do that starting Monday. Then probably go back to the 5-6 day (bodypart per day) a week split my cousin does after his show, because we've been getting good results. I'll post my results on here after Sheiko #37 after i'm done

Ben F Burgess
03-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I think it will benefit me a little bit to try a new routine for a month or so. I've been doing basically the same routine for over a year. Maybe switching things up will jumpstart some new progress. Muscle confusion?

Thanks for putting the link to #37. I'm gonna do that starting Monday. Then probably go back to the 5-6 day (bodypart per day) a week split my cousin does after his show, because we've been getting good results. I'll post my results on here after Sheiko #37 after i'm done
Best of luck with it.

After a month though, your lifts might very well feel worse.

Sheiko training works by fatigue accumulation and supercompensation. The high volume and frequency will beat you up (although not too bad over 4 wks) so weights that feel easy in Wk 1 of a typical cycle may well feel tough in say Wk 9. Its not until you peak and deload that you see the strength youve built.

TheRealDeal930
03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Best of luck with it.

After a month though, your lifts might very well feel worse.

Sheiko training works by fatigue accumulation and supercompensation. The high volume and frequency will beat you up (although not too bad over 4 wks) so weights that feel easy in Wk 1 of a typical cycle may well feel tough in say Wk 9. Its not until you peak and deload that you see the strength youve built.

How exactly do you peak and deload?

gatorman2k6
03-18-2010, 06:15 PM
How exactly do you peak and deload?

That's what the last 4 weeks of the program Ben suggested take care of. For individual programs, it is 32, if you want to check it out. I'm not enough of a Sheiko expert to explain it.

BloodandThunder
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/periodization_peaking.htm
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/periodization2.htm
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/periodization1.htm

TheRealDeal930
03-19-2010, 09:11 AM
If I were to do a deload week like this after the 4 weeks of sheiko training would that be good?

Simple Full Body, Bodyweight Deload Session
1a) Push-ups
1b) Pull-ups
1c) Inverted Rows
1d) Light squats
1e) Face Pulls
1f) Dips
1g) Resisted Forward Treadmill Walking*
1h) Resisted Backward Treadmill Walking
Repeat two-three times
from http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deload.htm

Ben F Burgess
03-19-2010, 02:26 PM
If I were to do a deload week like this after the 4 weeks of sheiko training would that be good?

Simple Full Body, Bodyweight Deload Session
1a) Push-ups
1b) Pull-ups
1c) Inverted Rows
1d) Light squats
1e) Face Pulls
1f) Dips
1g) Resisted Forward Treadmill Walking*
1h) Resisted Backward Treadmill Walking
Repeat two-three times
from http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deload.htm

The point is that if you've only trained for 4 weeks, you will be fatigued and testing your lifts right after will probably not give you the result you're looking for...

BUT

Generally, people would run at least 2 prep cycles (4 wk routines) before peaking and deloading. Wks 4-8 when you are fatigued but still grinding your way through the volume - thats when you really build the strength.

If you are dead set on running this 4 week only idea, then do #37 then the last week of #32. That will give you some deload and you will hit 1RMS on all 3 lifts on the last day of #32.

TheRealDeal930
03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
If you are dead set on running this 4 week only idea, then do #37 then the last week of #32. That will give you some deload and you will hit 1RMS on all 3 lifts on the last day of #32.

Ok, I will do that.
The 4 weeks of #37 and the last week of #32.
Thanks for all your advice

TheRealDeal930
03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
IN TOTAL FOR НЕДЕЛЮ:129 rises 4 WEEK

1 day 1. A press laying 50 % 3рХ1п.60 % 3рХ2п.70 % 2рХ2п.75 % 1рХ4п. (17) Bench
2. Draft of 50 % 3рХ1п.60 % 2рХ2п.70 % 2рХ4п. (15) Deadlift

3. Пресс 8рХ2п. Total: 32 rises Flies

3-4 day *

1. Knee-bends of 50 % 3рХ1п.60 % 3рХ2п.70 % 2рХ3п. (15) Squats

2. A press laying 50 % 3рХ1п.60 % 3рХ2п.70 % 2рХ3п. (15) Bench

Total: 30 rises

5 day ???????

About Т Д Ы X 6 - 7 day With About Р Е In Н About In And Н And I

ЖЕЛАУЮ SUCCESS!!!

IN TOTAL FOR a WEEK: 62 rises

BloodandThunder
03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
5-6-7 Rest.... with the intent of competing (hence the success comment)
Sheiko typically has a protocol of doing 3 x 2 - 70% for all three lifts the week of the meet/maxing.

As I eluded to before with my comment, I'd highly recommend looking for his book and reading around in it. It's a rough translation, but it offers some good insight onto his system