PDA

View Full Version : Glen Russo Benching 1100lbs Off of a 1board in Training in the gym!!

Lil Mendy
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Glen is getting ready for the New York State APF Championships!! April 24th at World Gym in Babylon NY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40vOqeue9E

www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com

IronDiggy
03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
holy crap... his shirt looks like it fits him like a t-shirt too

Lil Mendy
03-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, he does not like it tight lol..he is looking super strong, and training hard. It's really cool.

robchris
03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Dam*, thats some huge weight...!

Is Glen challaging Scott for the WR???

Lil Mendy
03-16-2010, 11:36 PM
I would not say Glen is challenging Scot, he just wants the record. Lol. If all goes well, he will have it.

drew
03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
No doubt Glen is strong, but it's not really benching if your spotter is holding the bar the whole time.

the one
03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
im with you drew....i can appreciate the strength but when you have 8 hands on the bar and a shirt it makes it a lot differet. frankly, i dont see the point

ehubbard
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
im with you drew....i can appreciate the strength but when you have 8 hands on the bar and a shirt it makes it a lot differet. frankly, i dont see the point

I was side spotting the week before on his 1100 press to a 2 board. I can assure you that no one was helping then. Well at least the lift off and my side. If things go wrong with 1100 lbs, people can die so to have her hands hovering with the bar is smart. Also with that much weight on the bar there isnt a lot for the side spotters to grab on so the take out spotter is the first one to react and will also likely carry a majority of the weight, in the event of a miss or dump.

BigRic
03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I was side spotting the week before on his 1100 press to a 2 board. I can assure you that no one was helping then. Well at least the lift off and my side. If things go wrong with 1100 lbs, people can die so to have her hands hovering with the bar is smart. Also with that much weight on the bar there isnt a lot for the side spotters to grab on so the take out spotter is the first one to react and will also likely carry a majority of the weight, in the event of a miss or dump.

If you dump 1100, I can't really see anyone stopping that from hitting your chest, let alone slowing it so it doesn't do significant damage.

ehubbard
03-19-2010, 03:09 PM
If you dump 1100, I can't really see anyone stopping that from hitting your chest, let alone slowing it so it doesn't do significant damage.

A belly dump or face dump happens real fast, but the faster you get it off, the less damage. With 5 spotters, it is certainly a weight that can be handled. A face dump is the worst but one where the lift off spotter has the best ability to react. With a belly dump, the lift off spotter has a shotty angle to grab the bar so its more on teh side spotters.

Mick Manley
03-19-2010, 03:38 PM
3 spotters wont pull off 1100, hell itd be hard with 5 spotters especially if its a quick dump.

Travis Bell
03-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Kinda have to agree with the others. I think training without at the very least, 5 spotters or some sort of safety setup, is a mistake when using that kinda weight.

Now I will say, when the bar gets out of groove, your spotters that you train with, week in and week out, can see a dump happening before it happens. So more times than not, a full belly or face dump can be avoided, in which case 3 can do it.

On the other hand though, if the shirt decides to give way, you're done. No way anyone is stopping that weight.

Tim K
03-19-2010, 07:16 PM
On the other hand though, if the shirt decides to give way, you're done. No way anyone is stopping that weight.

That is a very scary thought! :omg:

BodyByGamma
03-20-2010, 01:24 AM
With all that has already been said think of it this way, her hands can guide the bar, most dumps happen because the path of the bar isn't where it should be; so it is safer to train with her hands on the bar, even though she isn't really doing much except coaching, at a meet you will have 5+ spotters, but when training you have to play it as safe as possible. Risk VS Reward.

the one
03-20-2010, 03:51 PM
so then why not take the shirt off and drop a few hundred pounds off the bar?

Sean S
03-20-2010, 04:31 PM
so then why not take the shirt off and drop a few hundred pounds off the bar?

Because that's not going to get him ready for a shirted bench competition.

MrWebb78
03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Im sure that broad was strong, but If I have 1100 lbs hovering over my face, I want a dude spotting me.

Chris Rodgers
03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Because that's not going to get him ready for a shirted bench competition.

Pfft, how do you know? Obviously "the one" knows a lot about this stuff. I think he should send Glen a training template since his is clearly not working, lol. :rolleyes:

Rugby Dad
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Im sure that broad was strong, but If I have 1100 lbs hovering over my face, I want a dude spotting me.

yea but that she-hulk looked plenty strong tho.
sidenote: one day in future will strength athletes look back at all this shirted benching, gear, huge arches to shorten ROM and say WTF were these old timers thinking that ain't a measure of a lifter's real strength.

Chris Rodgers
03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
yea but that she-hulk looked plenty strong tho.
sidenote: one day in future will strength athletes look back at all this shirted benching, gear, huge arches to shorten ROM and say WTF were these old timers thinking that ain't a measure of a lifter's real strength.

She is one of the strongest female powerlifters in the World and her brother happens to be a pretty well known lifter that some might have heard of, lol. She definitely knows what she is doing and I would trust her spotting over many other "dudes" any day.

MrWebb78
03-20-2010, 07:14 PM
then i stand corrected. i still have no idea who she is though :)

nexus77241
03-20-2010, 08:48 PM
it gives support and allows you to lift more. I was the one holding the one board. there were 5 other people ready to grab the bar if he couldn't get it.

Travis Bell
03-20-2010, 10:18 PM
then i stand corrected. i still have no idea who she is though :)

Shawna is the one who posted this thread (lil Mendy)

Calling her a "she-hulk" may be a tad disrespectful