PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift PR

BigTallOx
03-16-2010, 05:29 AM
I deadlifted 565 last night. I got 585 to my knees but missed the lift due to what felt like being too far forward. I think with my hip flexibility, technique work, and some rest, the 585 will go at my meet in a couple weeks. Anyway, here's the 545 video ( wish I got the 565 on video, oh well )...

vYPqVKN1kJc

jmccown
03-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Good job BTO! You've come a long ways over the last year. I'd love to have your frame man. I know you hate being so tall but I think it would just be sinister to be as tall as you are and be a PL'er. Keep it up dude. Getting strong!

ehubbard
03-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Nice PR! You're not in Kansas anymore.

You seem to twist a bit when you deadlift (also notice this in your avatar), does that happen when you use a double overhand grip?

BigTallOx
03-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Nice PR! You're not in Kansas anymore.

You seem to twist a bit when you deadlift (also notice this in your avatar), does that happen when you use a double overhand grip?

I'll have to look at a double overhand video, but I suspect the twist is because my scoliosis ( which doesn't bother me in the least anymore, my back used to ache all the time ).

BigTallOx
03-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Good job BTO! You've come a long ways over the last year. I'd love to have your frame man. I know you hate being so tall but I think it would just be sinister to be as tall as you are and be a PL'er. Keep it up dude. Getting strong!

Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I love being tall ( especially now that I'm not skinny anymore ), but at times it can make lifting frustrating. I try not to think about my long leverages anymore and just focus on getting as strong as I can. It seems to be working for me.

Brian Hopper
03-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Congrats on your deadlift PR!!!!! You really need to start moving your feet out some. I would just work on it little by little. It looks like you are doing a sumo SLDL. I know you mentioned before about hip flexibilty. I just think that moving your feet out some would really help you out with your frame.

BigTallOx
03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Congrats on your deadlift PR!!!!! You really need to start moving your feet out some. I would just work on it little by little. It looks like you are doing a sumo SLDL. I know you mentioned before about hip flexibilty. I just think that moving your feet out some would really help you out with your frame.

Thanks, and I agree. I've really been working on my hip flexibility, and it's starting to show. I can go wider than I was. I just need to keep doing what I've been doing, and I'll get there.

ehubbard
03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I'll have to look at a double overhand video, but I suspect the twist is because my scoliosis ( which doesn't bother me in the least anymore, my back used to ache all the time ).

That would probably explain it. Have you been doing anything specific to address the pain that was possibly caused by the scoliosis?

Beverly McD.
03-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Congratulations BTO. Your hard work is paying off for you! You're improving your lifts all the time.
If you can remember to drive your heels through the floor, driving your knees out at the same time when you hit the weight to break it off of the floor, that will help you to keep a flatter back.

BigTallOx
03-16-2010, 09:31 AM
That would probably explain it. Have you been doing anything specific to address the pain that was possibly caused by the scoliosis?

Not really, I just thought it was something I had to live with. It was never all that painful, just a dull ache that was pretty much there all the time. Its been completely gone probably since about 6 months after I started powerlifting. Now the only way I notice my scoliosis is that my hips can get out of alignment, my chiropractor is good a getting them back in alignment, and the hip stretching that I've been doing lately has my hips feeling great.

NickAus
03-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Well done!

robchris
03-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Ox,
Awesome.Good pull bro...!

Buccos1
03-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Congrats, nice job!

mchicia1
03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
You look like a cartoon super hero lol...congrats.

ThomasG
03-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Good job BTO. Yea, seems like you already know the issue. I'm with Brian, little by little. I'll be at ripped tomorrow as well!

joey54
03-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Ready for a big meet.