PDA

View Full Version : Rack Pull Cycle

Andrew Cohn
03-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Has anyone here ever experimented with a short rack pull cycle with no true deadlifting from the floor for a competition? I competed in the Arnold 2 weeks ago and am scheduled to compete at the USAPL Richmond Open in 4 weeks, leaving me three total weeks to train. Last night I worked up to some heavy singles in the rack and thought about simply doing rack pulls for the next two weeks, attempting to work up a little higher in weight each week, and maybe supplementing with some conventional pulls for assistance (I am a sumo puller).

These aren't sky high rack pulls either. They are about 5 inches off the ground so not much higher than the starting point of a regular deadlift. I'd like to give this a try and see where I go for the meet so any pointers or feedback are welcome. Thanks!

Lones Green
03-18-2010, 07:58 AM
I really think the way to go for rack pulls is all conventional. I'm a sumo puller as well, but you don't get too much out of them pulling sumo. You'll see greater carryover going conventional and using heights about 2, 4, and 6 inches off the ground.

Lou showed me the quad mini rack pulls, they really make you strain. You could think about that

ehubbard
03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
I have barely pulled from the floor, nor do I plan to pull much off the floor leading up to my next meet. HOWEVER, I am competing in a deadlift suit which gives me great pop off the floor. If I were training raw, I wouldnt go much over Pin 3 ( on my rack this is about 7 inches off the ground pull) withe the majority of pulls of Pin 1 or 2. If you have three weeks, training in the rack might be a good way to rest your lower back some. Really depends on where you miss and how comfortable would you be not pulling from the floor before the meet. I would approach it like this. Go in, if your back feels good, go off a lower pin. Not so hot, work a higher pin. Try and hit each pin before the meet (3,5 and 7 inches off ground). Maybe go 90% for 4 or 5 doubles the first week, 95% for 4 or 5 singles the second, and 2-3 singles up to 100% the last week (I would only do this 10 days out though, no closer).

BloodandThunder
03-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe try Block pulls maybe with the sumo stance with varying heights? Much more natural for a sumo puller.
Could work if you're ridiculously fast off the floor like me, but suck endlessly above the knee and want to really hammer that weakness in such a short time frame.
Work the percentages that Eric above noted, maybe pull from the floor using 6 singles at like 70% 6-7 days out from the meet to hammer out your full range form.

MarcusWild
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
As long as you're not weak off the floor, then it should work. I agree with doing them conventional even though you're sumo.

NickAus
03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Great thread, I find this info very helpful!

H_M
03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
i did about 7 months of rack pulls and nothing from the floor. they were from mid shin with different bands and i always worked up to a heavy set of five reps. i my raw deadlift went up 60lbs in that time. i did all the rack pulls conventional.

i think i got those kind of result because i was/ am very weak at the top. i usually pull sumo and haven't maxed in gear but so far my sumo pull is up 20lbs.

Lones Green
03-18-2010, 09:28 PM
I have barely pulled from the floor, nor do I plan to pull much off the floor leading up to my next meet. HOWEVER, I am competing in a deadlift suit which gives me great pop off the floor. If I were training raw, I wouldnt go much over Pin 3 ( on my rack this is about 7 inches off the ground pull) withe the majority of pulls of Pin 1 or 2. If you have three weeks, training in the rack might be a good way to rest your lower back some. Really depends on where you miss and how comfortable would you be not pulling from the floor before the meet. I would approach it like this. Go in, if your back feels good, go off a lower pin. Not so hot, work a higher pin. Try and hit each pin before the meet (3,5 and 7 inches off ground). Maybe go 90% for 4 or 5 doubles the first week, 95% for 4 or 5 singles the second, and 2-3 singles up to 100% the last week (I would only do this 10 days out though, no closer).

I agree with this, but really, I think high rack pulls are hell on my lower back. I would get much more sore from going heavy at the kneecap from the rack over going heavy from the floor. Rack pulls are mostly lower back from me, they take a lot of my leg drive out

ehubbard
03-19-2010, 05:47 AM
I agree with this, but really, I think high rack pulls are hell on my lower back. I would get much more sore from going heavy at the kneecap from the rack over going heavy from the floor. Rack pulls are mostly lower back from me, they take a lot of my leg drive out

What is this "leg drive" you speak of?

For me a high rack pull is more about pushing my hips through than anything else. I feel it more in my lower back on the lower pins. Everyone is built different. Heavy high rack pulls usually cause me to lay around in a rack pull coma for about 20 min before I finish my accessory work. :drooling:

Andrew Cohn
03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I've never missed a deadlift on the floor, I have missed a few about 6 inches above the knee since I have an endlessly long lock out. I'm hoping this cycle will correct that. Thanks for the suggestions gents, I'll report my findings as this cycle progresses.

Lones Green
03-19-2010, 10:33 AM

For me a high rack pull is more about pushing my hips through than anything else. I feel it more in my lower back on the lower pins. Everyone is built different. Heavy high rack pulls usually cause me to lay around in a rack pull coma for about 20 min before I finish my accessory work. :drooling:

I forgot you're Mr. Straight leg

ehubbard
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I forgot you're Mr. Straight leg

Thats what she said...

NickAus
03-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Same here, pulls from the floor smash my lower back but rackpulls my lower back recovers from much quicker.

Everyone is different like you guys said.