PDA

View Full Version : Videos from SS B Session - Thoughts please

waynemeat
03-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi there,

Would like your thoughts on my form from the last SS work setís I done on Wednesday.

The weights are puny compared to most but Iím hoping to up them fast over the next few months.
253.5 SQ, 110 PC, 121 PR.

I would like some feedback on form especially with my power cleans. I struggle with getting my elbows up and bar position. Because of this Iím using considerably less weight.

Please don't be harsh :hide:

Wayne

yn3qyt0JRRY
RDyeXqMaybw
gDXGohaw_TQ

ThomasG
03-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Hi there,

Would like your thoughts on my form from the last SS work setís I done on Wednesday.

The weights are puny compared to most but Iím hoping to up them fast over the next few months.
253.5 SQ, 110 PC, 121 PR.

I would like some feedback on form especially with my power cleans. I struggle with getting my elbows up and bar position. Because of this Iím using considerably less weight.

Please don't be harsh :hide:

Wayne

Sorry bud but you should have thought about that before you posted anything below a 500lb squat. Get ready to be mocked and ridiculed.

jkjk
Little hard to tell with the squat rack in the way but it looks like your knees are crossing over your toes on a couple reps. Quick way to ruin your knees. Lean back put the pressure on your heels. Also that squat rack scares me, can you bail without messing up that floor?

SplitQuick
03-19-2010, 06:38 AM
I can only respond based on what I've read on the net and in the SS book and from the videos I've watched of Rip etc. but i'll try...

Your cleans... it looks like you're absorbing the weight on your wrists and just setting it on your delts. From everything I've read correct form is getting under the bar with your delts and catching it there. Also, it just looked like you were just being lazy with your cleans. You just didn't seem to put much energy into em.

The squats, it seemed like, as stated above, you were putting more weight on the balls of your feet instead of your heels and pushing your knees forward. It actually looked like your heels were coming off the ground a little. Looks like you could get a little more depth in the squat too.

The OHP looked pretty good from what I could tell.

Raleighwood
03-19-2010, 10:03 AM
On your press, you are not getting under the bar fast enough. As soon as it passes your forehead you need to pull yourself under the bar to decrease the moment arm as much as possible. It helps A LOT when weights start getting heavy.

Your power clean seems a little slow. Focusing on trying to speed it up slightly and jumping straight up, as high as you can, when the bar gets about 3-6inches past your knee.

The squat seems pretty good. Maybe a hair high. People mentioned earlier about your knee passing your toes, it's not that big of a deal as long as its not dramatic and your knees aren't getting sore. Do focus on keeping the weight evenly distributed on the foot, generally people have to think about keeping the weight on the heels.

Keep it up, you look like you have a big frame. SS, especially the squats, should pack some meat on.

Jorge Sanchez
03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't have time for an in depth critique, but your number one issue with all your lifts is tightness. Focus on making your core as rigid as possible for every lift.

Overall, things look alright, just keep working on perfecting your form every time under the bar and it will come.

(PS. Don't worry if your knees cross over your toes. There is nothing wrong with that.)

ZenMonkey
03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I second tightness in general.

When you post a Clean video, take the shot from the side angle. We cant tell much with a front angle.

Lastly, don't worry about your knees coming forward... nothing wrong with that at all.

Edit: I like the Canterbury pants man... you play footy?

Notorious
03-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Knees coming over the toes aren't a problem, but knees sliding forward at the bottom of the squat (which yours are) indicate a loss of tightness and WILL give you knee pain long term. To fix this, make sure you are shoving your knees our hard and keeping tension in your hamstrings.

Also, push your head through on the press earlier.

waynemeat
03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Little hard to tell with the squat rack in the way but it looks like your knees are crossing over your toes on a couple reps. Quick way to ruin your knees. Lean back put the pressure on your heels. Also that squat rack scares me, can you bail without messing up that floor?
Iíll try to get my heels sorted out thanks.
I'll admit the rack is a little scary and I could do with purchasing a few rubber mats to save the floor. I bought it out of impulse when I seen its cheap price. It's set to hold 200 Kg max. The good news is i'm just over 3/4 of the way there so hopefully within 3-5 months I'll have an excuse to buy a power rack.

Your cleans... it looks like you're absorbing the weight on your wrists and just setting it on your delts. From everything I've read correct form is getting under the bar with your delts and catching it there. Also, it just looked like you were just being lazy with your cleans. You just didn't seem to put much energy into em.
The squats, it seemed like, as stated above, you were putting more weight on the balls of your feet instead of your heels and pushing your knees forward. It actually looked like your heels were coming off the ground a little. Looks like you could get a little more depth in the squat too.
The OHP looked pretty good from what I could tell.
Iíll try putting a more challenging weight on the bar for my next session with power cleans. I think the effort had slumped because I struggle with it. Every time I get above the bar I feel weary about smacking myself in the head because it comes up so fast. Iíll just keep trying. Deeper squats thanks.

On your press, you are not getting under the bar fast enough. As soon as it passes your forehead you need to pull yourself under the bar to decrease the moment arm as much as possible. It helps A LOT when weights start getting heavy.
Your power clean seems a little slow. Focusing on trying to speed it up slightly and jumping straight up, as high as you can, when the bar gets about 3-6inches past your knee.
The squat seems pretty good. Maybe a hair high. People mentioned earlier about your knee passing your toes, it's not that big of a deal as long as itís not dramatic and your knees aren't getting sore. Do focus on keeping the weight evenly distributed on the foot, generally people have to think about keeping the weight on the heels.
Keep it up, you look like you have a big frame. SS, especially the squats, should pack some meat on.
Iíve been wondering why I could do 70 Kg with presses on previous sets and only 55 on others. It makes sense now. I really want to get to grips with the pc. I hate giving up on anything. Squats again haha. I thought they were my best.
Thanks for the last words. Itís much appreciated.

I don't have time for an in depth critique, but your number one issue with all your lifts is tightness. Focus on making your core as rigid as possible for every lift.
Overall, things look alright, just keep working on perfecting your form every time under the bar and it will come.
(PS. Don't worry if your knees cross over your toes. There is nothing wrong with that.)
For the last 9 years my core is something I have neglected. My belly just hangs out at the desk. Thanks for reminding me about this.

I second tightness in general. When you post a Clean video, take the shot from the side angle. We cant tell much with a front angle.
Lastly, don't worry about your knees coming forward... nothing wrong with that at all.
Edit: I like the Canterbury pants man... you play footy?
Thanks for this. Iíll probably post another couple of videos in a few months. Hoping for big gains!
I got the pants free from playing rugby with Ulster as a junior. They still fit, just a little too neatly around the waist lol.

Knees coming over the toes aren't a problem, but knees sliding forward at the bottom of the squat (which yours are) indicate a loss of tightness and WILL give you knee pain long term. To fix this, make sure you are shoving your knees our hard and keeping tension in your hamstrings.
Also, push your head through on the press earlier.
I can see why I only felt tension in the back of my legs on the way up and not on the way down. My squats really do need a lot of work. Cheers.

My A session tonight. I'm going to try to teach myself how to squat properly.
Thanks for this guys.

Wayne