PDA

View Full Version : If you have ACNE, read this.

MadChef
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I thought I would repost this from another thread, as acne seems like a growing problem these days and no one seems to know exactly what to do about it. Most people seek advice from friends, but that just yields bad answers and more confusion. Dermatologists just prescribe drugs, which may or may not work, notwithstanding the side effects. Scrubbing away with harsh peroxides and lye-based soaps just seem to make it worse.

Eliminating simple sugars from your diet is first and foremost. Simple sugars rev up the kreb's cycle, especially in the out layers of skin increasing free radical production and feeding bacteria that live in the sores. Cut out sugar if you are dealing with a true acne problem.

Secondly, drink more water. I don't care how much you think you drink already, drink more. Drink a gallon a day. Water is the best purifier. If the cause of your acne is OVERHEATING in your skin, water is what your skin needs to cool it down. Water is the cooling system of the body. Give up on peroxide based topicals and other over-the-counter creams that aren't working because acne is a systemic in origin, it must be treated systemically.

Cleanse your colon. By cleanse your colon, I don't mean buy a "colon cleanse" product from the health food store and rely on it to work because they don't do ****. For a week, eliminate meat from your diet entirely, stock up on lentils, beans, quinoa and whey to supplement your protein. Continue to drink plenty of water. Avoid caffeine and other diuretics. Without proper supplementation of water and fiber, up to 90% of artificial estrogens and toxins will continue to recirculate throughout the system. To increase the cleansing effect of this diet, I recommend a product called "Sonne's #7" to be taken in conjunction with "Sonne's #9". These are the oldest colon cleanse products on the market, because they work, and they are the only ones that work, IMO.

Do not take Accutane, I had a friend who started taking it and her skin became so dry she was miserable, but she would not stop taking it despite my beckoning. Within a few months, she looked aweful, her skin was so dry that it was cracking and her lips were cut and bleeding, no matter how much lotion and chapstick she used. It turned her from a pretty girl into a mummy. Not only that, she became so depressed that she had thoughts of suicide which she confided in me. After doing some quick research on the internet, this is what I found.

"Accutane may cause depression, psychosis and, rarely, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts and suicide."

(The FDA required that the makers of Accutane include this warning to all medical doctors licensed to prescribe Accutane)".

http://www.suicide.org/never-use-accutane.html

cphafner
03-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I used accutane. Yes it got worse before it got better. I haven't had another break since and it's been over 10. Oh, and I didn't kill myself. My brother also used accutane. Also hasn't had a break out in about 15 years. And guess what, he didn't kill himself either.

StLRPh
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
This is almost as bad as steriods cause 'roid rage.

Mercuryblade
03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I find generic posts about "ZOMG!!1! DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG" to be a bit frustrating.
Everybody is different, you give a large enough sample size ANYTHING and there will be side effects.
I know plenty of people that have taken accutane with little to no problems. If a drug causes problems, stop taking it, but just because YOU have problems or you know someone that had problems with a medication, it does not mean that someone else shouldn't take it. If we followed your line of reasoning, no-one should take any medications, ever.

As for colon cleansing, it has pretty much no scientific basis and has not stood up to peer review. In fact, in a healthy person with a fully functioning liver and colon, one could be potentially doing more harm than good.

Acne can stem from any number of causes. I had fantastic success with topical medications on my chest and back acne. I had absolutely horrible acne on my chest in back at the start of college (it literally was a rash). My doctor perscribed differin along with a antibiotic solution, and suggested I start washing with benzoyl peroxide. Other people don't have as much success with topical creams and there are other steps that should be taken.

On a related note, I take two different class two controlled substances (perscribed mind you)- that means they have the potential to be habit forming/addictive. I've been on one of them for almost six years now, and I periodically stop taking it just because I don't really like the way it makes me feel. I am in no way even remotely close to being addicted to the medication. A friend of mine, however, was very addicted to the same medication when he was on it. Moral of the story? Two different people, two VERY different experiences.

:soapbox:
/rant over

J.C.
03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Unless you have a specific reaction against a certain foodstuff, diet is unlikely to make any difference whatsoever to your skin. I've had mild but persistent acne for a decade now. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes worse, there is little reason to it.

I have taken just about every acne-fighting antibiotic out there and even then its hard to know when its working. Acne can take a long time to clear up, which is why it is s hard to say do this, do that. There is no miracle cure except accutane and that has its drawbacks. I've just gone back on lymecycline because my acne has resurfaced. Differin, which is a topical cream related to accutane (its an isotretinoin for any scientists out there) can definitely help. Over time.

Peroxides are generally thought to be the best medication there is but you have to use a hell of a lot and you need to push past the dry, red skin phase. Peroxide cream also combats resistance to antibiotics for some reason, but scientists are unsure why. So benzoyl peroxide and a tetracycline medication is probably your best bet. Peroxde creams DO work. Absolutely. If they don't you are not using enough of it and you are not using it for long enough. You need to completely clear the acne or otherwise it will always come back, the skin needs a chance to heal.

Accutane makes your skin worse before it gets better. The way it dries out your skin, lips and eyes is what makes it work. However, there have been links to suicide and after having a depressive episode a couple of years ago that came out of nowhere and scared the hell out of me, I just don't want to use it. My sister used it and it worked perfectly on her. But any way you look at it, it is an incredibly harsh drug that causes problems with joints, muscles and liver. This is all something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Interesting thing about water consumption is that studies done with someone drinking 3l water a day and someone drinking 0.25l of water a day showed no difference in the moisture of their skin. It makes far less difference than you might think.

mchicia1
03-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Accutane was the only thing that worked for me until I found

http://skincarerx.com/M.D.-Forte-Facial-Lotion-III.html

Only thing that works is the expensive stuff...dont waste ur time with the over the counter crap u find in CVS.

Invain
03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
If any of you have mild acne, try taking zinc. I take 50 mg a day and it's honestly made a noticeable difference. I'll usually get a couple random pimples on my face every once in a while and I haven't had a single one since I've started using zinc. Only thing about my diet I've changed.

MadChef
03-20-2010, 12:10 PM
This thread was intended to help people who are concerned with their overall health (not medical minded pill poppers (mercuryblade) treat their acne naturally, who don't trust their health to drugs with dangerous side affects including, but not limited to, suicide.

This thread was NOT meant to start a debate of the safety or efficacy of Accutane. If you want to take Accutane, go right ahead. You probably aren't the type of person who would opt to treat yourself naturally first, before going to the doctor for a script. Therefore, this thread wasn't written for you and I am going to delete that part.

If you don't have anything encouraging or constructive to add, please don't pollute this forum with your OPINIONS.

Interesting thing about water consumption is that studies done with someone drinking 3l water a day and someone drinking 0.25l of water a day showed no difference in the moisture of their skin. It makes far less difference than you might think.

That is interesting to note. I realize that drinking water, in and of itself, does little to hydrate the skin. Only by increasing dietary consumption of essential fatty acids (omega-3 most importantly) can one increase the moisture of their skin. However, water is the medium that carries toxins through your filters and out of the body, via the alimentary canal and urinary system. If those functions of the body are struggling to eliminate toxins, the body will recruit the other EXCRETORY system, the skin, to assist. That's why people with ketosis stink like rotting meat. Water feeds living tissue, tissue ridden with sores and pimples is DYING.

Invain
03-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry but ketosis and smelling like rotten meat? What the hell are you talking about. The only smell associated with ketosis is similar to nail polish remover from the acetone. The smell of rotting meat/ammonia would be associated with protein breakdown.

MadChef
03-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Ok, not ketosis, but rather toxic bowel syndrome.

http://www.docjdc.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=17

Mercuryblade
03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
If you don't have anything encouraging or constructive to add, please don't pollute this forum with your OPINIONS.

When you make broad sweeping claims about drugs and treatment for medical illnesses, it's only natural to to get feedback. As a future MD and someone who is employed currently in medical research, I have a strong passion for promoting scientific research and combatting misinformation. I want people to be healthy and informed, plain and simple. Whether that means taking a drug/supplement (natural or whatever) or avoiding some kind of substance it doesn't matter.
Your heart was in the right place with your post, but it doesn't change the validity of your claims.

J.C.
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm somebody who eats a healthy diet. I've always eaten my vegetables and drunk a lot of water. I really like lentils and pulses.

But I still don't think that sort of thing makes a difference. If you are pre-disposed to getting acne, you get acne. Its that simple. Some people who normally have clear skin may find that after eating certain foods they get spots. For these people, diet may be important. But if you are somebody who just has bad skin anyway, diet really won't make much difference. I'd notice it otherwise.

Colon cleanse? Really? I thought those things had been proven bunk.

Seriously, I get the whole healthy inside, healthy outside message. But as somebody who does most of the things on your list, and has even flirted with vegetarianism, I just don't think its that simple. Its the sort of hopelessly optimistic thinking that people say because it sounds right, and seems like it ought to work. Even if there is no real reason.

Benzoyl peroxide is usually recommended by dermatologists as an effective non-accutane treatment. It stops the skin getting so oily and gives it a chance to heal.

MadChef
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Your heart was in the right place with your post, but it doesn't change the validity of your claims.

So, in your reply, rather than blow off my "claims" as misinformation, cite them with quotes, please. As a future MD, and as someone in the medical field, you need to be more exact when you call someone out, or you are going to end up looking like an ass.

And as far as colon cleansing, I endorsed the Sonne's product, but only as an aid. YES, "COLON CLEANSES" (the little boxes with two bottles of pills and instructional DVD's) the kind you buy at vitamin stores are bunk as you put it. They will not, cannot, in and of themselves do anything for you, especially something as drastic as force the body into a DETOX. Thats what the DIET I outlined is for. As far as being "hopelessly optimistic", that statement is a pretty hilarious contradiction that applies to a lot of people these days but it does not apply to me. I am very realistic about peoples chances of being healthy when they don't take responsibility for their own health and diet - or - try something half-assed like a "colon cleanse", fail at it because they went about it all the wrong way and then go around telling everyone else not to waste their time. Eating lentils and drinking lots of water, but there is more to being healthy than that. I agree, sometimes acne is just genetic and some people are f***ed. That is when acne is a true skin disease, and those kinds of people are left with scars and its very sad. Acne can be caused by an endless number of reasons. Anything that artificially alters your hormones can cause it (birth control, test pills, etc...), as I mentioned, toxic colon can cause it, excess sugar intake can cause it (in my case), everyone is different. It's hard, but if you can find out what's causing your problem, through a healthy diet and process of elimination, then you can have a chance at treating your condition, whatever it may be. Otherwise, there's no hope for you, and thats why I am passionate about this. A major problem with the average American these days, they don't take responsibility for their own health.

Good luck in your career as an MD, Mercuryblade. I hope you're getting into it for the right reasons.