PDA

View Full Version : Smolov effect on deadlifting

Andrew Cohn
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I know I might be barking up the wrong tree here with so many Westside gents, but has anyone here tried a Smolov cycle? One of my training partners just jacked 30 pounds onto his squat in 4 weeks and I wanna give it a go. They say not to deadlift during a 4 day/week squat cycle so I was wondering if anyone has tried this and what effect it has had on their deadlift.

My deadlift is my bread and butter so I dont want it to crash but I would also like to bring my squat up. Might have to bite the bullet on this one.

SELK
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Ive done the cycle a few times. Some people say their deadlift goes up, for me i would say it goes down slightly but comes back after 2-3 training sessions.

It depends how you squat, and how you pull. I squat fairly upright and pull pretty stiff legged so there is not as much carryover.

Some things:

- you will put weight on your squat, but a few weeks after smolov you will generally lose some of the gains (but be higher then where you started)
- its murder on your body. If you have any sort of minor injury by the end it will be an issue.

IronDiggy
03-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the 4-week smolov cycle is just the prep cycle for the real cycle. But I've also been told it's pretty much suicide for your knees.

Andrew Cohn
03-20-2010, 03:03 PM
The 4 week base mesocycle is the prep cycle for the next cycle but it will still jack up your strength. As I said before, my training partner took his raw squat from 644 to 672 (with some room to spare) in only 4 weeks on the base cycle. I can't imagine going longer than that and maintaining any semblance of a respectable deadlift.

BloodandThunder
03-20-2010, 04:54 PM
If you're going to do Smolov, make sure your form is spot on. If you have a blaring weakness in form (lose of arch, hips tight, knees caving, etc), the base cycle WILL bury you. Sure, you may put on twenty pounds or so, but simply working on the weakness hard is also an even easier way to get the same results.