PDA

View Full Version : My Cutting Phase....

jmart21
03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey all,

I need to go on a cut to lose some of this extra fat. Currently I am 5'10", 189lbs. Last measured: 18% BF. I workout daily with a friend of mine who is in great shape and is really helping me improve my strength. I have been working out with him for about 3 months now (6 months previous by myself).

I have been eating healthy for about the past 8 months (following the ABS Diet); http://www.menshealth.com/men/weight-loss/abs-diet/abs-diet-weekly-meal-plan-recipes/article/c54a99edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd.)

I saw great improvements over the first month or two on that diet. But it's been kinda a constant state since then and I need something to give me that extra push. This is why i want to do a cut.

Over the next 6 weeks, my goals are:

Drop down to 175-177 lbs
Drop to 12-13% BF

Will post week one pics ASAP (once i go buy a new cord for my camera...tomorrow hopefully)

Here's my proposed eating layout (3 meals a day with snack in between)

Breakfast: Protein Shake (2 scoops whey, 1% Milk)
Maybe a cup of strawberries for fibre?

Snack 1: Handful of Almonds

Lunch: Seasoned Chicken Breast, a little brown rice, steamed veggies and water

Snack 2: Protein Shake (2 scoops whey, 1% milk)

Dinner: Steamed Veggies, Chicken/Beef, Brown rice

Snack 3: Celery

Snacks are in no certain order...Workouts usually done in between lunch and snack 2.

What should I be taking, other than protein? Would something like Nitor be good?

I will get my BF% updated ASAP and post it so i can get the starting data all hammered out, then post the "before" pics.

I welcome all feedback/motivation!!!

jmart21
03-23-2010, 11:26 AM
So apparently Nitor will take up to one month to get shipped to me....went out and bought some MPower today, going to start out tomorrow!

Allen Cress
03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Doesn't look like nearly enough food and you will lose weight but more than likely a lot of muscle as well. You don't have a set calorie intake to start from and the portion sizes you will be eating of each food.

A general way to get started is to times your BW by 10-12 and pick a ratio of macros like 45% Protein, 40% carb, 20% fat. Break that down into how many grams of each nutrient that is and divide it evenly into 5 meals an deat every 3-4 hours. If progress stalls then you can adjust but at least you will have some idea of what to adjust as far as calories go.

jmart21
03-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Doesn't look like nearly enough food and you will lose weight but more than likely a lot of muscle as well. You don't have a set calorie intake to start from and the portion sizes you will be eating of each food.

A general way to get started is to times your BW by 10-12 and pick a ratio of macros like 45% Protein, 40% carb, 20% fat. Break that down into how many grams of each nutrient that is and divide it evenly into 5 meals an deat every 3-4 hours. If progress stalls then you can adjust but at least you will have some idea of what to adjust as far as calories go.

So when I multiply my body weight by 11, does that tell me the number of calories? Or is that the sum of grams of each macro?

Allen Cress
03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Tells you total calories

jmart21
03-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Okay, so after crunching some numbers; this is what I've come up with...

Targets:
Total Calories to take in: ~2100
Carbs: 150g
Protein: 189g
Fat: 95g

Today's Data:

Breakfast:

Fibre 1 ceral w/ Milk, Protein
400cal
55g Carbs
32g Protein
10.5g Fat

Snack 1

Banana, Protein Shake (small)
261 Cal
46.7g carbs
32.2g Protein
9.6g Fat

Lunch

Salad with Chicken Breast
221 cal
5.8g carbs
35.7g protein
5.8g fat

Snack 2

Protein shake
460 cals
30g carbs
64g protein
9g fat

Dinner

Chicken breats, 1 cup Green beans, 1cup brown rice
379 cals
40.9 g carbs
39.1 g protein
7.1g fat

Snack 3

Protein Shake
460 cals
30g carbs
64g protein
9 g fat

Daily totals:
1925 calories
188g carbs
213g protein
35.1g Fat/

I've been swamped with midterms, so i keep doing the shakes because it's quick and easy lol.

Things that stand out to me:
Not enought fats!!! Maybe try some fatty vitamans? Is that what Fish oil ones are for?
Too many carbs? Or is my 150g per day just an extremely conservative estimate?

Any thoughts?

Allen Cress
03-24-2010, 05:43 AM
You need to divide your protein evenly in every meal so meal 1 and your 1st snack need more. I would divide you carbs evenly in first 5 meals and leave them out or have green veggies in your last meal. You can add ground flaxseed or natural peanut butter or fish oil for fats. 150g is not too many carbs. Don't be afraid of carbs, calories make you fat not carbs!!

Creatine farts
04-01-2010, 08:38 PM

I dont understand how you break down calories into grams of each macro... Like, I weigh 280lbs. and I want a good diet because i believe thats the one thing i am lacking... and i need some help... I dont know much about diet, all I do is try to get alot of protein during the day, 1 gram for every lb of weight (not including body fat)... Could you help me understand what you are trying to say by that? thanks man.